* RD 4 Bengals select Andrew Billings DT, Baylor

OVERVIEW

Billings was already a big name around Waco before he even agreed to play for the Bears, dominating on the high school football field (266 pancake blocks in his junior and senior years) and setting a state record in power-lifting with 2,010 total pounds at the state meet (805 squat, 705 dead lift, 500 on bench). Despite the high expectations, he somehow lived up to his billing. After contributing as a true freshman (two starts, 29 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss), Billings came into his own in 2014, receiving consensus first-team All-Big 12 notice with 37 tackles, 11.5 for loss. The league named him co-Defensive Player of the Year in 2015, leading Baylor with 15 tackles for loss and tying for the team lead with 5.5 sacks as he heard his name mentioned on several All-American squads. The fact he led the Bears in tackles for loss and sacks shows the athleticism and aggressive nature of his game.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.96 seconds 
Short shuttle: 4.77 seconds 
3-cone: 7.77 seconds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Elite power with a weight­lifting background. Generates booming power from hip explosion and when his leverage is on point, he can be menacing. Moved from offensive line to defensive line in college and is getting better by leaps and bounds each year. Drops his pad level even lower when splitting double teams and charging through gaps. Uses violent, powerful swats and slaps to free of opposing hand placement. Instant reaction time makes it difficult to cross his face. Gets arm extension into blocker and stays clean as he pursues laterally. Ridiculous closing burst to the sideline for a big man. Dominates single blocks and is a sure­fire tackler when he gets hands on a running back. Improving pass rusher with an effective bull­ rush.

WEAKNESSES

Top heavy. Powerful but short. Once he gets going in a direction, struggles to slow down and change directions. Recovery athleticism is average. Plays with good initial effort but an average secondary motor. Still learning techniques for the position. Raw as a pass rusher relying on power over a plan. Extremely young to play professionally. Will need positive locker room leaders to guide him as he matures.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 2

NFL COMPARISON

Chris Baker

BOTTOM LINE

Billings won't turn 21 until March of 2016, but he has the overwhelming strength of a full­-grown NFL defensive tackle. With elite power and unusual closing speed for a big man, Billings has a chance to become something we rarely see ­-- a playmaking nose tackle with the ability to dominate at the point of attack. Teams will decide through research and interviews whether Billings can handle the NFL life at such a young age, but if he can, he has all-­pro potential.

PLAYER OVERVIEW

A hometown product from Waco, Billings became a full-time starting nose tackle as a sophomore in 2014 and finished third on the team leaders with 11.5 tackles for loss to go with a pair of sacks and nine quarterback hits.

West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen said in October that "Billings is the best kid I've ever gone against."

Billings finished his junior year with a team-high 15.0 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks, adding 40 tackles and a forced fumble. He announced on Jan. 12 that he would forego his senior season.

"After considerable thought, discussions and praying with my family and coaches, I have decided to declare my intention to enter the 2016 NFL Draft," Billings said in a statement.

A source close to the program told NFLDraftScout.com that Billings didn't make this decision lightly. He enjoyed the college environment, especially at Baylor, and wanted to finish his degree. A Waco native, Billings plans to take courses part-time while in the NFL.

He added his name to an already top-heavy defensive tackle class and will compete with Ole Miss' Robert Nkemdiche, Alabama's A'Shawn Robinson and several others to be the first player drafted at the position.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: A load in the middle with brute power to engage blockers and toss them aside. Tough to block due to his blend of power and quickness. 

At his best when he keeps his pad level low and rolls his hips at the point of attack to carry his momentum into the pocket. Has a motor that is always revving and effort isn't an issue.

WEAKNESSES: Needs to improve backfield vision and pre-snap anticipation. Relies on forward lean, leading to him overextending and ending up on the ground. Has room to improve his patience and ball awareness. Lacks ideal range to consistently make plays outside the hashes. 

IN OUR VIEW: If the technique and discipline catch up to his natural brawling strength and mentality, Billings flashes dominant qualities. A scheme-versatile prospect, he will be valued as a nose tackle by odd fronts and a one-technique tackle by even fronts.

COMPARES TO: Bennie Logan, DT, Philadelphia Eagles - Similar to Logan, Billings isn't the most physically impressive lineman, but he is built low to the ground with a powerful base that will fit both even and odd fronts.

I usually like DT's with more weight and height, but the way he is built, he's like a poor man's Geno Atkins, and he is very stout against the run. At this point in the draft, the Bengals got a guy some had going in the first round, so true to their BPA philosophy, this is probably the best value of the entire draft.

Since '09, if there's a team that's drafted better than the Bengals, I don't know who it is.

Last night, I assumed there was something character-wise going on with Billings.  Since that doesn't appear to be the case, they've just gotten one of the best value picks in this draft.

Paired with the first and second rounds, where they killed it, this has been a great draft.

Frankly, it wouldn't have been too big a reach to take Billings or Boyd in Round 1.  To get both of those guys and William Jackson III as, basically, a bonus?  Sick.  Dick Tobin is doing his thing.

A+

Since '09, if there's a team that's drafted better than the Bengals, I don't know who it is.

Last night, I assumed there was something character-wise going on with Billings.  Since that doesn't appear to be the case, they've just gotten one of the best value picks in this draft.

Paired with the first and second rounds, where they killed it, this has been a great draft.

Frankly, it wouldn't have been too big a reach to take Billings or Boyd in Round 1.  To get both of those guys and William Jackson III as, basically, a bonus?  Sick.  Dick Tobin is doing his thing.

A+

But, but, Ozzie Newsome, genius...

Cue the "goodbye Peko" nonsense. Maybe someday, but not now. Until this guy gets Domata's motor, he will be second.

Well, at least when we spell Peko for a drive,  we no longer have to have a significant drop-off.  Plus having him will make Geno, Carlos, and Michael even more effective then they are now.

The more I see this happening,  the more I am seeing this as the 'fuck Shittsburgh' draft;  we already beat them to the punch with WJ3, and now it looks like we did it again with Billings.   When Marvin and crew "buried" that fiasco of a loss,  this must be how they make it even.

Damn,  this one's turning into a A+ draft once again,  and I never though that excellent drafts would be becoming par for the course...It's so nice to be one of the elite teams for a change..

Well, at least when we spell Peko for a drive,  we no longer have to have a significant drop-off.  Plus having him will make Geno, Carlos, and Michael even more effective then they are now.

The more I see this happening,  the more I am seeing this as the 'fuck Shittsburgh' draft;  we already beat them to the punch with WJ3, and now it looks like we did it again with Billings.   When Marvin and crew "buried" that fiasco of a loss,  this must be how they make it even.

Damn,  this one's turning into a A+ draft once again,  and I never though that excellent drafts would be becoming par for the course...It's so nice to be one of the elite teams for a change..

Do you mean upgrade when Peko leaves the field

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

He's definitely a 1 technique and his ideal spot is nose tackle.    But I'm sure they can play him and either tackle spot.   I bet 100 dollars during the press conference today , Marvin will say they like his versatility and he can play all spots on the d line. 

Archived