Bengals' OL coach sick of ‘Bodine witch hunt’

Bengals offensive line coach Paul Alexander walked into Salzano’s barber shop on 4th St., looking for a relaxing haircut at a spot he’d frequented for years developing friendships with the three Italian barbers.

Before long, relaxation evaporated. Suddenly he found himself amidst the latest example of what he coined the “witch hunt” on current starting center Russell Bodine.

“It pissed me off,” he said. “They got three Italian barbers there all yelling at each other, they are all brothers and they are getting on me about Bodine. I finally had to tell one to eff off. Jeez, I can’t even get my haircut in peace.”

That’s because the draft brought up the future of the starting center which Alexander supported trading up for in the fourth round two years ago. Bodine, 23, started every game in the middle of a veteran line since being taken No. 111 overall in 2014.

Alexander addressed the issue without being prompted in a small media session following the selection of Christian Westerman of Arizona State in the fifth round. When a slew of questions surrounded Westerman’s ability to transition from guard to center, he addressed the storyline at the core of the conversation.

“You guys are asking about the Bodine witch hunt, right?” Alexander said. “Let me tell you about, Bodine, all right? Let me tell you about him. He’s better than (Clint) Boling was after two years. He’s similar to what Zeitler was. Zeitler didn’t start out all that great. I was talking to (Andrew Whitworth) and talking about Rich Braham. He said, ‘Hey, don’t compare Bodine to Rich Braham.’ Rich Braham didn’t step on the field until his third year. This is a young player who is playing in his third year with a bunch of veterans and very good offensive linemen and he’s the last one right now because he’s the youngest. But I don’t care what anyone else says I think Bodine is a hell of a player. That’s where I’m at on that.”

Calling Bodine the weakest link on the Bengals’ starting line isn’t necessarily an insult considering the confluence of first-round picks and Pro Bowls. Alexander urges patience will pay off for a guy who was a part of a line that finished among the best in football the last two years under his watch. Bodine will again slot as the starting center when the Bengals open the season this year.

(Click the link for the entire article)

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/04/30/bengals-ol-coach-sick-bodine-witch-hunt/83758492/

He actually makes a valid point .... but I still want someone on the roster who can push Bodine to either improve or lose his job.  Sounds like that might eventually be Westerman, but for 2016 it looks like we have to cross our fingers and hope Bodine improves without competition.

Relax, Paulie. I don't blame Bodine. I blame you.  "Zeitler didn't start out all that great"?  My ass. Z looked like a future Pro Bowler his rookie season & has gotten worse every year under your watchful eye.  The only reason this OL is rated so well is because of Whit & a 3-step drop passing offense. This is the same dude who talked up Turnstile Livings & called Roland his "best technician" like that makes up for a complete lack of ability.

Alexander is the only coach remaining from the bad old days, and for some reason was named Assistant Head Coach. Never mind Bodine, let's get rid of this yutz before he ruins another generation of OL prospects.

You guys are so laughable.  

I'm usually with ya Ken.. Some people go overboard talking about people sucking.

But there is nothing wrong with calling a guy out when he isn't performing.. Bodine gets pushed in to the backfield so often.. I really had high hopes for him, and don't think he is a lost cause or anything yet..but he is for sure the weak link in the line.

I'm usually with ya Ken.. Some people go overboard talking about people sucking.

But there is nothing wrong with calling a guy out when he isn't performing.. Bodine gets pushed in to the backfield so often.. I really had high hopes for him, and don't think he is a lost cause or anything yet..but he is for sure the weak link in the line.

I'll agree that he's the weak link, but that's because we have a great line.  He'll be a third year guy this year, and folks act like he should be on Rich Brahams level when he didn't become the guy until his 5th year in the league.  And even with his complete and utter suckage, we've somehow managed to have a top 10 oline the last two seasons.

I'll agree that he's the weak link, but that's because we have a great line.  He'll be a third year guy this year, and folks act like he should be on Rich Brahams level when he didn't become the guy until his 5th year in the league.  And even with his complete and utter suckage, we've somehow managed to have a top 10 oline the last two seasons.

I would hesitate to call our line great, I think a lot of their deficiencies are hidden with our quick passing game. And we all saw how much the running game struggled this year.

I would hesitate to call our line great, I think a lot of their deficiencies are hidden with our quick passing game. And we all saw how much the running game struggled this year.

Football outsiders had us as the #1 oline in the league in run blocking.  Just sayin'.

we'll see.. I am rooting for the dude, but I just don't have much faith..

Bodine is only 23 and the same age as many rookies coming out in this year's draft.

He's country strong, and still learning. I don't think he sucks like many here do. Is he a pro bowler? No. But He's serviceable and middle of the pack to me.

Archived