Bengals extend Shawn Williams 4 years

Nice deal for both sides.  I think this really does speak highly for what they think this guy can do as a full timer.  The terms for top end TE's is pretty much set with all of the extensions signed this off-season.  I see no reason why Eiffert isn't locked up around that typical training camp time that we so often see the deals announced.  

I would like to see Zeitler too... I personally think that Dre is going to have to really prove himself to get a big deal.  The replacements are in house already.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him play well enough to get a big deal and them just letting him walk for a comp pick.

I could be wrong, but I bet they wait another year to get Eifert an extension. They already picked up his 2017 option year, so he has two more years left on his rookie contract.

Bengals have almost always waited until one year before FA to do extensions (Green, Dalton, Atkins, Dunlap, S. Williams, etc.). Eifert will probably be in the same boat with a big extension signed summer of 2017. 

The two guys next on the list are probably Bernard and Zeitler. Maybe Hewitt too, though he shouldn't cost much.

9 minutes ago, happyrid said:

I could be wrong, but I bet they wait another year to get Eifert an extension. They already picked up his 2017 option year, so he has two more years left on his rookie contract.

Bengals have almost always waited until one year before FA to do extensions (Green, Dalton, Atkins, Dunlap, S. Williams, etc.). Eifert will probably be in the same boat with a big extension signed summer of 2017. 

The two guys next on the list are probably Bernard and Zeitler. Maybe Hewitt too, though he shouldn't cost much.

You are exactly right, I was thinking we picked it up for 2016 season but it was the 2017 season. Also wasn't he still injured from the injury he had at the end of the season. No reason to rush into a new contract for a guy who has had an injury history. 

5 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

You are exactly right, I was thinking we picked it up for next year. Also wasn't he still injured from the injury he had at the end of the season. No reason to rush into a new contract for a guy who has had an injury history. 

Yeah, it's kind of standard practice around the league under this new CBA that has those 5th year options to wait until after year 4 to start talking extensions with 1st rounders. Eifert was part of the 2013 draft class and I don't think we'll see any of those 2013 1st rounders get extensions done this year. None of them have yet and haven't heard talk of any of them being in negotiations.

Eifert just finished up year 3. He won't hit FA until spring of 2018. So Bengals will probably start to get serious with him this time next year.

Bengals sign Shawn Williams to 4-year extension

0ap1000000236552.jpg

By Kevin Patra

Around the NFL writer

Published: May 17, 2016 at 09:44 a.m. 

The Cincinnati Bengals let veteran safety Reggie Nelson walk in free agency this season because the team trusted Shawn Williams to step into the full-time starting role.

The Bengals showed their faith in dollars Tuesday.

The team announced they signed Williams to a four-year contract extension through 2020. The deal is worth $19.5 million in base salary, and Williams can earn $21.5 million with incentives, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source involved in the deal. The third-round pick in 2013 was entering the final year of his rookie deal.

"Shawn is one of our bright, young players, and we're excited to have him as part of the team moving forward," coach Marvin Lewis said in a statement. "He has been a physical player, and he has increased his value as a playmaker on the ball. This is just one more part of our plan, which is to draft the right players, develop them and retain them."

Williams started just four games in his career behind Nelson. Now the team has faith he'll step in opposite George Iloka without missing a beat.

Inking Williams to a new deal before he hits the open market where his price could increase if he puts up a stellar season as a starter is a smart move by Cincinnati's front office.

The Bengals have taken a lot of heat during Lewis' tenure for not winning playoff games, but they have been one of the best franchises in the NFL at building and maintaining their own talent over the last half decade. Locking down a rising starter in Williams is just the latest example.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000663119/article/bengals-sign-shawn-williams-to-4year-extension

Like this deal. Nice to have some continuity back there with two young, still ascending players. 

I read somewhere (forget where) where they are working on extensions for Gio and Hewitt. I could see them waiting on Eifert but I could see them working on Zeitler now, as well.

Not sure how I feel about Dre. I know he played hurt last year, but I need to see greater consistency from him in both tackling and coverage. Depending on what Quez and WJ3 do, they may not want to move forward with Dre. 

46 minutes ago, texbengal said:

Like this deal. Nice to have some continuity back there with two young, still ascending players. 

I read somewhere (forget where) where they are working on extensions for Gio and Hewitt. I could see them waiting on Eifert but I could see them working on Zeitler now, as well.

Not sure how I feel about Dre. I know he played hurt last year, but I need to see greater consistency from him in both tackling and coverage. Depending on what Quez and WJ3 do, they may not want to move forward with Dre. 

Agree with all of this. Would like to see extensions for Gio, Hewitt and Zeitler this offseason.

I'd prefer they wait a year on Eifert. No reason to do extensions 2 years ahead of FA (except maybe QBs) and most teams won't even talk about those deals. The risk/reward of that early an extension doesn't make sense for the team unless the player takes a steep discount. And players/agents are now smart enough to know not to do that.

I have a hard time seeing how an extension with Dre would work right now since he's making $8M this year and he isn't worth that much per year long-term. Not sure they could find a structure that would make sense for both sides. I'd let him play it out and see what happens. If he's having a great season, maybe talk to him midseason about an extension. 

12 hours ago, happyrid said:

Agree with all of this. Would like to see extensions for Gio, Hewitt and Zeitler this offseason.

I'd prefer they wait a year on Eifert. No reason to do extensions 2 years ahead of FA (except maybe QBs) and most teams won't even talk about those deals. The risk/reward of that early an extension doesn't make sense for the team unless the player takes a steep discount. And players/agents are now smart enough to know not to do that.

I have a hard time seeing how an extension with Dre would work right now since he's making $8M this year and he isn't worth that much per year long-term. Not sure they could find a structure that would make sense for both sides. I'd let him play it out and see what happens. If he's having a great season, maybe talk to him midseason about an extension. 

Saw on Twitter yesterday that they're now working extensions for Gio, Hewy, Zeitler and Dre.  Also saw it suggested that the extensions for Zeitler/Dre would free up the $ for the extensions for Gio/Hewy since they'd likely be for less than the $8M they're on the hook for this year on the options.

2 hours ago, Dautcom08 said:

Saw on Twitter yesterday that they're now working extensions for Gio, Hewy, Zeitler and Dre.  Also saw it suggested that the extensions for Zeitler/Dre would free up the $ for the extensions for Gio/Hewy since they'd likely be for less than the $8M they're on the hook for this year on the options.

Nice. Was that from one of the beat writers?

Even without lowering the $8M cap numbers for Zeitler and Kirkpatrick, I think the Bengals held back enough money to get extensions done with Gio and Hewitt. After the draft picks all sign and Williams' 2016 cap number comes out, I think they're going to be about $10M under the cap still.

5 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I wouldn't extend Gio either. He is good but next years draft is RB heavy. 

Depends on the contract, but unless you have a all pro RB, I tend to agree. RBs are pretty easy to replace.

21 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Depends on the contract, but unless you have a all pro RB, I tend to agree. RBs are pretty easy to replace.

Didn't the two of you also question signing AJ, Dalton and Burfict early?  Just checking.

25 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Didn't the two of you also question signing AJ, Dalton and Burfict early?  Just checking.

Two of who? You only quoted me.

Not AJ no. Don't remember if I did Taz or not, but I dont think so.

Dalton, yes and I stand by it, the contract was a team friendly one though so I'm not upset by it.

Also are you talking about me being ok with Williams contract or resigning Gio?

9 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Two of who? You only quoted me.

Not AJ no. Don't remember if I did Taz or not, but I dont think so.

Dalton, yes and I stand by it, the contract was a team friendly one though so I'm not upset by it.

Also are you talking about me being ok with Williams contract or resigning Gio?

We signed Burfict a year earlier then we had to then he had microfracture knee surgery. If you don't think we could have gotten him for less youre wrong. 

On May 17, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Dautcom08 said:

4 years $19.5M with $4M guaranteed.

Hope he produces at a starters level and more than that- stays healthy. That man has serious talent and we need as many hitters on defense as possible till Taze gets back and murders offenses

I like the signing as well. Williams seems to really be coming along. I like him and Iloka back there a lot because they both have decent coverage/pass breakup/INT skills and aren't just a Roy Williams type back there.. Hopefully Dennard gets and stays healthy and plays lights out with Jackson and Pacman back there. If all that happens and Dre plays well we'll have the best overall secondary in the league.

• 2 weeks later...
On May 18, 2016 at 10:10 AM, MichaelWeston said:

I wouldn't extend Gio either. He is good but next years draft is RB heavy. 

While I respect your opinion I completely disagree I love hip he has gotten us out of trouble time ands time again with his unique vision quick  good hands and loves to go up and into people as opposed to running out of bounds like quick rbs like to do 

Archived