Is Freeney deal almost complete?

Seems like Karlos Dansby is talking like Freeney has already signed with the Bengals. Makes me wonder if this deal is all but done or if Dansby is just confused.

Check the bolded part below:

AGE OF AGE:

Last week we got the version from the offensive side of the ball on the recruiting of 15-year defensive end Dwight Freeney when left tackle Andrew Whitworth let us in on the scene in the locker room during Freeney’s recruiting visit. The young defensive lineman gathered around him as if he were a Hall-of-Fame exhibit, of which he is.

On Tuesday came the perspective of the defensive coordinator in Paul Guenther and the fellow veteran import in 13-year veteran linebacker Karlos Dansby.

“Karlos Dansby has been a great addition. A guy like that is a good example to follow,” said Guenther, who spent 90 minutes showing Freeney how his style fits into the Bengals’ rush scheme and makeup. “If you have a team that has a lot of good young talent like we have, if you sprinkle in some veteran players like (him) that has the experience he has (it helps). He wants to win . .. He’s our kind of guy. Knowledgeable. He’ll help the younger players.”

There is no magic formula, but there is no question winners need a blend of experience and youth. But how much? According to footballoutsiders.com, there is no textbook answer.

The Bengals had the eight oldest roster in the league when the web site computed “snap-weighted age,” for the 2015 season. The Bengals averaged the same age as the 3-13 Browns at 27.0 years and were nearly the same as the Super Bowl champion Broncos at 27.1.

“Carolina (third) and Denver (seventh) ranked among the oldest teams in the league on their way to Super Bowl 50,” the site says, “while the seven youngest teams in 2015 all failed to break .500.”

Footballoutsiders.com said the Bengals’ had the second oldest SWA defense at 28.1, but even though they no longer have 32-year-old safety Reggie Nelson and 32-year-old linebacker A.J. Hawk, Dansby turns 35 during the season and is going to keep the numbers up.

And that’s just fine with Dansby, who shares Freeney’s nutritionist and diet regimen.

“He’ll add value to our team,” Dansby said. “Without a doubt. He’ll keep guys fresh. He’ll come in with the production he has from last season and he’s not going to have a drop off.”

When it comes to defense, the web site shows there are also no age absolutes. The Bengals made the postseason and so did four other of the ten oldest defenses (Carolina, Minnesota, Kansas City and Washington). But, including No. 1 Indianapolis, three of the oldest finished 26th or lower in defense.

Freeney had eight sacks in Arizona last season and Dansby is sure that Freeney will keep it up because he knows him pretty well since they have kept in touch via their mutual desires to play as long as they can and have surrounded themselves with some of the same advisors.

“The way he takes care of his body is the same way I take care of mine,” Dansby said. “We’ve got the same nutritionist. He’s been doing it longer than me. He’s taken it to a whole other level. I’m trying to get to his level. Then I’d be a monster.”

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

No, I think he is just commenting on what Freeney would bring. 

Get it done though!!

Yeah, maybe. I guess I was assuming if he meant would, he'd have said "would." Instead, he said "He'll" is short for "he will." And he said it a bunch of time.

I don't know. Add it to the other tea leaves we're trying to read, but I really get the feeling that this is going to happen. 

If we could be getting the Freeney that the Cardinals and the Colts had,  I'm all for it,  but if it's the Freeney from the Chargers, no thanks.  And we can't play the 'he's miscast in a 3-4 as a OLB" card because the Cardinals have a hybrid 3-4/4-3 front that seems to be heavy nickel all the time.

Plus, we have two studs in Carlos and Geno with 13.5 and 11 sacks respectively and MJ90 (formerly MJ93) had a respectable 5.0 sacks.  If Freeney is able to be a 4-3 DE on 3rd down, that seems to be ideal.

I guess we have to hope for the best but understand if things go sideways...Though, I have to say that we are in a much better position than ATL if he's wanting to get a shot a a Superbowl.  Of course, if that is his ultimate desire, he should just stay with AZ, they're pretty damn close based on what happened the last season.

1 hour ago, DanvilleBengal said:

Of course, if that is his ultimate desire, he should just stay with AZ, they're pretty damn close based on what happened the last season.

They need an upgrade @ QB if that's going to happen.  4 INTs & a 5 QBR in the NFC title game.  Choke artist.

Freeney said that he planned to leave Cincinnati and Atlanta without contracts. He might just be holding out for a return to Arizona. Bengals very well could have gave him some numbers after all. Guessing Freeney waits till Training camp to make a decision if Arizona doesnt offer.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

On 6/4/2016 at 9:26 AM, Le Tigre said:

Also, no need for the tough stuff. Nice guy to have, but at this point it is roster shaping. No big deal.

I'd have to disagree. I think that signing would be a mighty big deal and help fix one of the biggest areas of need on this team...a legitimate pass rushing RDE.

• 1 month later...

Archived