Trade Margus Hunt for Cordarrelle Patterson

23 minutes ago, DanvilleBengal said:

I'm not from Missouri, but you gotta show me how this would be a good trade.  Both seem to be forgettable and pretty much busts.

You are right that both guys are pretty much bust, but my logic is that both guys could benefit from a fresh start in a new environment where they have more of a chance to make the roster than their current situations affords them. 

At this point Hunt is the 3rd best DE on the roster at best and if we sign a guy like Dwight Freeney this off season that would make Hunt like the 5th DE on the depth chart , even if we don't sign Freeney there is a strong possibility that Hunt won't make the final roster so why not try to get something for him. Zimmer made Hunt his pet project while he was here so if any coach/team in the NFL would be open to acquiring Hunt before he hit the open market it would be the Vikings. 

With the new rule changes that takes kickoffs to the 25 yard line it seems that the NFL has effective taken jobs away from guys who are primarily KR's, and that is Patterson at this stage of his career. He's buried on the Vikings depth chart and for a former first rounder to be beat out by late round picks and UDFA's doesn't speak well to his future with the Vikes. Also, they declined his 5th year option and drafted a WR in the first round this year, all signs pointing to this being Patterson's last year on the Vikes roster if he's lucky. Patterson is raw as a 

Lastly, both teams invested high draft picks for these guys and they would much rather get something in return than just cutting them and admitting they made a mistake, with this trade both organizations will be able salvage some value from these high draft picks that have clearly not worked out. I say why not, both guys could benefit from a fresh start in new surroundings and this would afford both front offices to save face after clearly missing the mark on both players in the draft.  

3 hours ago, bigfeet4real said:

I'd do this trade. At the very least you get a good kick returner.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

One minor adjustment there as he's yet to return a punt in the league. He has however, averaged 30 yds. per KR for his career, while Jones/Tate averaged about 23 YPR last year. 

If we get Freeney, I think I'd pull the trigger on this one.

I'd make that trade. Neither player will have much of an impact in their current situations, so why not? Fresh start.

As far as Freeney goes, I cant help but wonder if the Bengals would be looking to bring him in after the season starts so they don't have to guarantee the contract.

I'm actually SHOCKED this trade hasn't already occurred as I first thought it was a possibility this time last year......

With that said...I LIKE Margus Hunt (I know - makes ZERO SENSE) and would LOVE to see if he could produce with a NEW DL coach..

I don't know why but he is just the one guy I can for some reason going somewhere else and becoming a superstar......

On 6/9/2016 at 11:53 AM, T-Dub said:

Why would they trade for a do-nothing player that will probably be cut anyway?

Because he has a slightly less chance of being cut than the guy you know is getting cut?

:shrug:

On 6/9/2016 at 11:53 AM, T-Dub said:

Why would they trade for a do-nothing player that will probably be cut anyway?

Hunt doesn't offer much on special teams and has 1.5 sacks in 3 years, why not trade him early and let some of the younger guys with more upside get his reps in practice? Also, a trade would allow you acquire a WR with upside that would be the 3rd most career catches on the roster at his position group.

When you combine the opportunity to get young guys like Clarke, Hardison, and Williams more reps in practice, upgrade the overall talent in the WR corp, and acquire a Pro Bowl returner it makes sense to make this trade. 

25 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Hunt doesn't offer much on special teams and has 1.5 sacks in 3 years, why not trade him early and let some of the younger guys with more upside get his reps in practice? 

Because for a trade to happen, both sides receive something of value?  They can get Hunt for vet minimum if they wait a couple more months.

Just now, T-Dub said:

Because for a trade to happen, both sides receive something of value?  They can get Hunt for vet minimum if they wait a couple more months.

Or, someone else might offer him a slightly better contract and they lose out. That would be the gamble involved.

9 hours ago, bengaled said:

Understand and agree, but I was referring instead to other teams interest in Patterson.

Ah, ok.  I don't really know much about Patterson but assume he has either done something in his NFL career, or at the very least hasn't done nothing for as long.

Archived