chad johnson to coach the browns wr

Chad Johnson to coach Browns WRs during training camp, Bengals not letting him in locker room

By Jason Marcum

@marcum89 on Jul 12, 2016, 3:53p 9

GettyImages-107051908.0.jpg
Andy Lyons/Getty Images

This is an interesting turn of events.

Tweet Share (328)

It seems like just yesterday that Chad Johnson was dominating the gridiron as he became one of the NFL's elite receivers.

Much of it came during his 10-year career with the Bengals, but boy did his career fall hard and fast. After a failed stint with the Patriots, Johnson didn't even make it out of training camp with the Dolphins before being cut. A big reason why was his arrest for a domestic violence incident.

Since then, Johnson endured a failed stint in the CFL and now, he'd like a chance to coach in the NFL using all the experience he gained throughout his playing years.

Yesterday, Johnson made the request to help out the Browns via twitter.

New Browns head coach Hue Jackson, who once worked with the Bengals and Johnson as the team's receivers coach, is giving his former player a shot at coaching in Cleveland. Johnson confirmed less than 24 hours after his original Tweet that he will be joining the Browns in some capacity during training camp.

You would think that as great of a player as Ochocino was, he'll be able to teach the Browns' young group of receivers something new. Heck, just about anyone who has played receiver in the NFL could probably teach the five rookie wideouts Cleveland has, so maybe Johnson's role with the Browns can be a fruitful one.

There's also his prior relationship with Jackson, who has gone as far as to call Chad his son. That's probably a big reason why Johnson is getting a shot to coach, so he better make the most out of this one.

As great of a player Johnson was in Bengals stripes, he's let his mouth continue to do too much talking. It sounds like the Bengals are tired of hearing it, and it wouldn't be too hard to believe that Marvin Lewis didn't want him in the locker room last year when Johnson visited Cincinnati for the Seahawks game. While the team could likely benefit from some of Johnson's lessons, there's likely negatives to him being around the team, too.

And hey, if the coaching thing doesn't work out, it looks like he could get into knitting.

Besides illustrating how to ad-lib routes like a HOFer, Chad can show them how being versatile enough to play multiple WR positions and how to block downfield are way overrated. This, while he extols the merits of all-day breakfast at Mickey D's while constantly tweeting inane shit.

Good luck, Ocho!

5 hours ago, Dr Tarzan said:

We all loved Chad....just the COC that we would like to erase from memory.

Once witnessed him have a total "Hey Kid, Catch" Joe Greene Coke commercial-like moment with some JV kid from Hughes at a Penn Station.   No cameras or anything just a genuine interaction.  He may be woefully immature but dude has a good heart.  Unfortunately he played with a QB who didn't have the balls or desire (or both) to be a spokesman for the franchise, so that role fell on Chad the class clown. Not to excuse all his bad decisions but on a team with some actual leadership I doubt his career derails the same way.

12 hours ago, Harley said:

To hang Chad's immaturity and antics on Palmer is silly.

I can't imagine a worse coach than Chad.

That said, still one of my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree with T-Dub on this one. If Palmer grabs Chad by the facemask just one time and tells him to cut the crap, I believe the future of both players and the franchise is completely different. 

1 hour ago, Enon Bengal said:

I have to agree with T-Dub on this one. If Palmer grabs Chad by the facemask just one time and tells him to cut the crap, I believe the future of both players and the franchise is completely different. 

Yeah, I wish Palmer had a little more Boomer in him.  I think he (Boomer) was the last real "field general" this team has had.

14 hours ago, Harley said:

To hang Chad's immaturity and antics on Palmer is silly.

I can't imagine a worse coach than Chad.

That said, still one of my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, and it's decisions like this that make me a little more glad we didn't shoe horn Hue in as the future of the franchise. Maybe I'll be wrong and the Browns ragtag receivers group will emerge as all universe under Chad's tutelage...but I doubt it. The choice to make Ochocinco a positions coach seems like an utterly terrible idea.

1 hour ago, thezerawkid said:

Yeah, and it's decisions like this that make me a little more glad we didn't shoe horn Hue in as the future of the franchise. Maybe I'll be wrong and the Browns ragtag receivers group will emerge as all universe under Chad's tutelage...but I doubt it. The choice to make Ochocinco a positions coach seems like an utterly terrible idea.

But it gets him & Chad in the news, and from what I've seen that's Hue's priority.  NFL these days is all marketing though so that ego shit may work out for them.

And for the record, I hardly blamed Palmer for Chad's antics.  He was in a position to correct it, however, or at the least shove Chad out of the spotlight.  So while I don't blame him for Chad's behavior, I do blame him for the lack of leadership that let Chad become such a distraction.

5 hours ago, Enon Bengal said:

Palmer doing something of leadership would be like expecting Manziel to get clean and grow up. And Chad was nowhere close to the top 10 for issues with the mid 2000's teams. He is getting quite the bad rap on this board all of a sudden considering he was one of the very few on those rosters that actually busted their ass and wanted to win. Most of them were out partying every night and going through the motions living off their natural ability only.

Chad made being a Bengal cool and that helped bring the stigma off the team and made it a place players didn't want to avoid like the plague anymore. Him goofing off and having checklists and shit never stopped the team from winning. Mike Brown giving the team an unstable roster from a reliability standpoint, Palmer getting hurt, Hue Jackson being a fucking nutcase as WR coach and Richie Braham breaking his leg were the 4 most detrimental things to that team in that time frame.

On July 14, 2016 at 8:41 PM, T-Dub said:

Once witnessed him have a total "Hey Kid, Catch" Joe Greene Coke commercial-like moment with some JV kid from Hughes at a Penn Station.   No cameras or anything just a genuine interaction.  He may be woefully immature but dude has a good heart.  Unfortunately he played with a QB who didn't have the balls or desire (or both) to be a spokesman for the franchise, so that role fell on Chad the class clown. Not to excuse all his bad decisions but on a team with some actual leadership I doubt his career derails the same way.

He seemed to always be at Lot D pre-game tailgates. I mean, he would just show up out of nowhere. Great guy, and seriously funny. 

Archived