Kind of mixed emotions on Hall. I think I'd rather give Shaw a chance with those snaps. But it's also nice having as much depth as possible at DB. Especially since some of our guys seem injury prone.

Sounds like he's down to Giants or Bengals at this point. 

34 minutes ago, happyrid said:

Kind of mixed emotions on Hall. I think I'd rather give Shaw a chance with those snaps. But it's also nice having as much depth as possible at DB. Especially since some of our guys seem injury prone.

Sounds like he's down to Giants or Bengals at this point. 

Shaw will play either way. But it would be good to have the veteran around that knows the defense inside and out and providing depth.

31 minutes ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

Shaw will play either way. But it would be good to have the veteran around that knows the defense inside and out and providing depth.

Yeah, probably. But we've seen this with veterans before. Hall played ahead of Dennard even when both were healthy last year. Who's to say he wouldn't be ahead of Shaw in the pecking order too due to his veteran status?

But just a minor concern for me. I am hoping he signs. 

Reading between the lines, I think the timing of the WJ3/Dennard injuries, Marvin's comments and then the Giants visit aren't coincidence. Marvin talks about trying to bring Hall back due to the injuries. Then Hobson is saying it could be like Chris Crocker where they bring him back after W1 so his contract wasn't guaranteed. And obviously I'd suspect Leon wants to be signed before W1 so he gets that full veteran guarantee. Which maybe means the Giants visit is his way of showing that he does have other options and doesn't have to wait a month on the Bengals. Entirely possible that he wants to stay in Cincy where all his friends are and where he's played his entire career and is just using NY as contract leverage. 

7 hours ago, Jpoore said:

We paid him almost 10 million last year if his price went up I'll stick with shaw

Coming off a significant back injury last season and at his age, you think his price went up from what he was paid *last* year? 

I thought you meant it maybe went up a little bit from what it might have been a couple days ago. 

I don't want the guy grabbing snaps from Shaw and some of the other young guys, but I don't mind the idea of having him on the roster for depth. Our defensive backs tend to get injured as the season progresses.

Just now, thezerawkid said:

Coming off a significant back injury last season and at his age, you think his price went up from what he was paid *last* year? 

I thought you meant it maybe went up a little bit from what it might have been a couple days ago. 

I don't want the guy grabbing snaps from Shaw and some of the other young guys, but I don't mind the idea of having him on the roster for depth. Our defensive backs tend to get injured as the season progresses.

Yeah, I'd be pretty shocked if we are talking any more than $3M or so per year. I'd guess probably something closer to $2M. That's about what Karlos Dansby and Brandon LaFell got and I'd think Hall is in the same general category. 

And ideally the Bengals could get some sort of incentive-laden deal with a low base salary and then a few million worth of incentives based upon playing time. 

2 minutes ago, happyrid said:

Yeah, I'd be pretty shocked if we are talking any more than $3M or so per year. I'd guess probably something closer to $2M. That's about what Karlos Dansby and Brandon LaFell got and I'd think Hall is in the same general category. 

And ideally the Bengals could get some sort of incentive-laden deal with a low base salary and then a few million worth of incentives based upon playing time. 

Yeah...and, it seems as if we are still about 8 mil below the cap. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

They only have 3 healthy TE's on the roster, I would expect them to add another body there before they add a 10th CB. 

I think if Hall chooses CIN over NYG then they will either cut Tindal (or another guy). But if Hall chooses NYG then you get an extra couple days for Tindal to try to catch on and get a chance for PS or something.

Technically 4 TEs (Hewitt does both) but I'd like another TE brought in to keep the actually healthy guys fresher. I didn't realize we had so few. Felt like we had a couple more last year.

6 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

I agree with this completely but my feeling is denard will play ahead of him and we really don't have the cap space it will hurt our long term unless he plays for a low low amount which i don't think he will.

6 hours ago, happyrid said:

He's also 5 years younger than dansby and way better than lafell I'm sorry I just don't see him going from making 9.7 million a year to 2 million I just don't see it...  I mean Newman is 38 and is making 2.5 million I think he wants like 5 million and we don't have the room for it without hurting us long term

6 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Yeah...and, it seems as if we are still about 8 mil below the cap. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

That 8 million is rollovers we use to extend contracts for next year we want that number as high as possible it's already lower this year than last year and we have to extend zeitler Kirkpatrick if we do eifert whit peko Niger bulkhead peerman 

2 hours ago, Jpoore said:

I agree with this completely but my feeling is denard will play ahead of him and we really don't have the cap space it will hurt our long term unless he plays for a low low amount which i don't think he will.

He's also 5 years younger than dansby and way better than lafell I'm sorry I just don't see him going from making 9.7 million a year to 2 million I just don't see it...  I mean Newman is 38 and is making 2.5 million I think he wants like 5 million and we don't have the room for it without hurting us long term

That 8 million is rollovers we use to extend contracts for next year we want that number as high as possible it's already lower this year than last year and we have to extend zeitler Kirkpatrick if we do eifert whit peko Niger bulkhead peerman 

I hear Niger Bulkhead was Burdock's roomate in college.  Those two got into some serious tomfoolery.

Hall is only 31.  If he is healthy (big if)  he is worth 5 mil FOR US easy.   There is no substitute for a very good back up corner considering this team should be making a run at the AFC Championship game.

Archived