Confident Jeremy Hill feels 'like a veteran' at Bengals camp

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/23237/jeremy-hill-bengals-fumble-ancient-history-confident-feels-like-veteran-training-camp

That was last year, they'll say. We're moving on, they often add.

Few Bengals probably want to believe that, like running back Jeremy Hill, the player whose lost fumble just after the two-minute warning gave the Steelers the possession they needed for a come-from-behind victory in the closing seconds.

But with the turnover now buried deep in the recesses of his mind -- or so he says -- a seemingly much more confident Hill is coming into his third season with a primary focus: being a trusted leader on his team.

So far this preseason, he and his position coach believe he's achieved that goal.

"I feel like a veteran," Hill said. "Offensively, I know everything we're doing. I know what my coaches want; I know everything. It's just going out there with my energy and effort and leading by example."

Running backs coach Kyle Caskey wasn't too concerned about the fumble weighing too heavily on Hill's psyche this offseason. But Caskey spent the past seven months getting his embattled young rusher to realize he needed to reassert his ownership of the team. Despite the finger-pointing that went on outside the locker room, Caskey needed Hill to know that in this new season, Hill needed to command the respect of his teammates inside it.

Bengals running back Jeremy Hill is showing maturity after a rough ending to his 2015 season. AP Photo/Gary Landers

Caskey believes Hill listened.

"He's attentive to everything. He helps out the young guys. He's getting with the older guys more to make sure they're all on the same page," Caskey said. "He's forcing other guys to make sure they're doing the right thing at all times.

"It's a lot to do with just growing up as a player. He's two years in now, and he's had ups and downs, and he's learned what it takes to stay on the upside more than the downside. He knows with these older guys like [Andrew] Whitworthand then with Brandon LaFell coming in -- he's known him for a long time -- he's really taken the example that these guys show."

It doesn't take a coach's eyes to see that some of that growth has trickled onto the playing field, too. Once the pads came on earlier this week, Hill has been running differently than what he showed through most of last season. He's running with more certainty, effortlessly hitting holes with the type of confidence he exuded his rookie year, when he averaged 5.1 yards per carry. Last season he averaged just 3.6 yards per rush. Of course, the true test won't come until the real contact arrives in the season opener.

Hill could benefit this season from a few schematic tweaks that ought to simplify his duties on some plays. He also could be aided by the maturity that comes with growth from Year 2 to Year 3.

"With him, we just stress for him to press his tracks and make his reads," Caskey said. "It's not necessarily a patience thing as much as it is just, 'Run the play the way it's meant to be run and trust your blocking in front of you.' He's doing a really good job of growing within that part of the game."

Hill just wants to be more of a playmaker.

"Last year I was not dynamic at all. This year I need to be more dynamic," Hill said. "Not take more chances, but just be more dynamic and make more plays."

22 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Maybe it has been really overstated, but this team needs to run the football effectively. Not just run in terms of numbers. 

Get this guy 5.1 per this year, and any offensive prowess concerns we might have, will evaporate.  

hell yea... 

gotta keep Bodine out of the backfield for this to happen..

That being said, this offense has no excuses.. i don't care who left, and who is hurt... still loaded...

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

It's going to take a lot more than some coach saying Hill is a different player. He needs to turn into Barry Sanders and stop all the end zone antics. Just place the ball down or hand it to the referee. That'll show me he's focused and determined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as he has 2 or fewer fumbles and averages 4.3+ per, and keeps up the 10+ TD seasons, I don't care if he dances the tango with Hillary Clinton in the end zone.

12 hours ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

It's going to take a lot more than some coach saying Hill is a different player. He needs to turn into Barry Sanders and stop all the end zone antics. Just place the ball down or hand it to the referee. That'll show me he's focused and determined.

Who cares what dance he does in the end zone as long as he makes it to the end zone.

One thing that will help is to continue to fee him carries.  I still feel like every time he started to get things going last year, he was out of the game.  He needs 20+ carries a game in my mind.  If he gets that, he will be in the 85 to 120 yard range consistently and this is a playoff team without question.

Hills a flash in the pan. A one hit wonder. Maybe he'll have more success somewhere else. I don't think he's mentally capable of shaking last seasons catastrophic mental error. Ball carriers run with a sense of cockiness. That's their edge. He's lost that edge and it ain't coming back here in Cincinnati

2 hours ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

Hills a flash in the pan. A one hit wonder. Maybe he'll have more success somewhere else. I don't think he's mentally capable of shaking last seasons catastrophic mental error. Ball carriers run with a sense of cockiness. That's their edge. He's lost that edge and it ain't coming back here in Cincinnati

Funny you are questioning someone's mental capabilities, oh the irony....

3 hours ago, rcarpenter62 said:

One thing that will help is to continue to fee him carries.  I still feel like every time he started to get things going last year, he was out of the game.  He needs 20+ carries a game in my mind.  If he gets that, he will be in the 85 to 120 yard range consistently and this is a playoff team without question.

I agree. He's a rhythm guy not a guy who needs to get a consistent feeding of handoffs to be at his best.

It'll be tough getting that many carries when his sharing time with Gio. God forbid we get behind in games and have to air it out.

1 hour ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

It'll be tough getting that many carries when his sharing time with Gio. God forbid we get behind in games and have to air it out.

Hopefully Zampese has a better plan for using the both of them effectively.  Unfortunately I suspect he will lean towards airing it out regardless of the situation.

Just now, RhodeIslandFan said:

Jets are going to be a tough team to pound the rock on. Gio's slicing and dicing type of cutback running will be more effective ground game. I'm thinking Gio see's more touches

I'm talking about over the season not just one game. You beat the Jets by throwing. I expect Dalton to feast.

I'm talking about over the season not just one game. You beat the Jets by throwing. I expect Dalton to feast.

When I saw your post saying he'd be leading ball carrier each game. I just don't see his straight ahead running style holding up against the teams we face in the first half of this season . Gio is the better fit. Hey only time will tell so let's see how things turn out

Archived