Bengals not yet settled on No. 2 wideout spot behind A.J. Green

Bengals not yet settled on No. 2 wideout spot behind A.J. Green

The Cincinnati Bengals aren't saying yet who they consider to be the No. 2 receiver behind A.J. Green. But they've probably got two players in mind.

The likely candidates are rookie Tyler Boyd and veteran Brandon LaFell. But considering that LaFell, who has a hand injury, has yet to play in a preseason game, that picture is a little more muddled.

"We've got a lot of guys that are going to help us," Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton said. "And we'll find out once the season gets going who the No. 2 guy will be."

Sometimes, a prior season's stat line will help clear that picture up. But in the Bengals' situation, it only serves to show how much has changed in a year.

Brandon LaFell, right, will get his only shot at showing he can back up A.J. Green in Sunday's preseason game against the Jaguars. Aaron Doster/USA TODAY Sports

Green led the team with 1,297 receiving yards in 2015, but behind him wasMarvin Jones (signed with the Detroit Lions in free agency), tight end Tyler Eifert (currently sidelined with an ankle injury), running back Giovani Bernardand fellow receiver Mohamed Sanu (signed with the Atlanta Falcons in free agency).

If LaFell is to be the No. 2 guy, his only chance to show it to the public in preseason would be Sunday's third preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. LaFell missed the first two games but returned to practice this week, making it likely he could at least see some playing time this weekend.

"It's a positive for him to get an opportunity to play," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "He hasn't played yet this preseason in a game, so this will be good for him."

Not only will it be the first time Dalton and LaFell play together in a game situation, but it will probably be the only time prior to the regular season. The starters are poised to see little or no playing time in the fourth and final preseason game next week.

"It'll be good to have some game action too to see him with the lights on and see him make plays," Dalton said.

LaFell's lack of preseason playing time hasn't appeared to be much of a concern to the Bengals. Chemistry with Dalton is important, but the Bengals already know what they're getting in the six-year veteran.

"The guy has played a lot of football at wide receiver at a very high level for a very long time by NFL standards," Bengals wide receivers coach James Urban said. "Tough, physical, big, all those things."

LaFell caught 37 passes for 515 yards and no touchdowns for the New England Patriots last season after missing five games with a foot injury.

They know less about what they have in Boyd, but they probably are starting to get an idea. Boyd has made the most of his preseason with LaFell out, leading the team with three receptions for 78 yards and a touchdown.

"He's a natural football player, he has feel, he knows how to get open, he also knows when he's open, and there's a big difference," Urban said. "Some guys have the short area quickness with the explosion that can separate but don't always know where the quarterback is or how to separate themselves. He has great football instincts."

Another receiver who has had a good preseason is Brandon Tate, who has been used mostly as a kick returner during his five seasons with the Bengals. Tate has caught four passes for 49 yards in two preseason games this year.

But judging preseason statistics can be a tricky thing, as they are often based on situations the team wants to run and which players happen to be available. Tate had a decent stat line in the 2015 preseason (five catches for 88 yards), but only two catches for 59 yards in the regular season.

It's also possible the scrutiny of the No. 2 wideout spot could ultimately mean little. If Eifert and tight end Tyler Kroft aren't able to return from their injuries by Week 1, the Bengals could be spreading the ball around more behind Green.

"Last year, Marvin and Mohamed played the most snaps behind A.J. and then there was a huge drop-off. I don't necessarily see it working out quite that same way this year," Urban said. "I think obviously A.J. is going to get his snaps, but there may be four guys getting a distribution of snaps, and that may work well for us."

27 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

Talent and common sense: Boyd, Lafell, Tate

Marvin Lewis world: Lafell, Tate, Boyd.

marv hates giving young palyers big roles.

I agree to an extent... BUT... he doesn't do it unless he has to..

See Andy and AJ rookies years.

Boyd keeps playing the way he is, and old Marvs hand might be forced...

17 hours ago, fluhartz said:

I agree to an extent... BUT... he doesn't do it unless he has to..

See Andy and AJ rookies years.

Boyd keeps playing the way he is, and old Marvs hand might be forced...

I'm not sure I understand what boyd has done....he has 3 catches in 2 games......he's playing almost the entire game.

I'm all for Boyd starting and learning, but i'd prefer we go with Lafell to start the season and let boyd ease in, then let him take off after we get through the 1st 6 weeks gauntlet.

I'd peg him for a week 7 home start vs the browns, we need the vet for the 1st 6 weeks, those are against teams that could all make the playoffs.

If the bengals are 4-2 headed into week 7 I think we're a for sure playoff team.

3 hours ago, turningpoint said:

I'm not sure I understand what boyd has done....he has 3 catches in 2 games......he's playing almost the entire game.

I'm all for Boyd starting and learning, but i'd prefer we go with Lafell to start the season and let boyd ease in, then let him take off after we get through the 1st 6 weeks gauntlet.

I'd peg him for a week 7 home start vs the browns, we need the vet for the 1st 6 weeks, those are against teams that could all make the playoffs.

If the bengals are 4-2 headed into week 7 I think we're a for sure playoff team.

That's probably news to him and the team.

it really doesn't matter because they will be using so much 3 WR sets,, they'll both be on the field an awful lot (just like Jones and Sanu were).  If they're not out for the very first offensive snap, it's almost guaranteed they'll both be there for the 2nd and 3rd.

7 hours ago, turningpoint said:

ok..

I am not sure how many times he has been targeted...but I have seen some great catches...

Kid is money!!!!  

On August 26, 2016 at 4:55 PM, cincity said:

it really doesn't matter because they will be using so much 3 WR sets,, they'll both be on the field an awful lot (just like Jones and Sanu were).  If they're not out for the very first offensive snap, it's almost guaranteed they'll both be there for the 2nd and 3rd.

Yeah...the only elevation "starter" has, is being introduced out of the tunnel during pregame.

Archived