53 and Potential Free Agents

Watching some Browns-Bucs and thinking about who might be on another team now that could improve what is a pretty solid Bengals Roster. Looking at the 53 man I think for me the only 2 spots are DE and K. 

Any thoughts on who might be out there for us to sign?

Kicker Depth Charts

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/PK

DE Depth Charts

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/DE

My 53 looks like

QB Dalton 2020 McCarron 2017    
RB Hill 2017 Bernard 2019 Burkhead 2016 Peerman 2016
HB Hewitt 2019      
WR Green 2019 Core 2019    
WR LaFell 2016 Erickson 2016    
WR Boyd 2019 Wright 2017    
TE Eifert 2017 Kroft 2018 Uzomah 2018  
LT Whitworth 2016 Fisher 2018    
LG Boling 2019 Westerman 2019    
C Bodine 2017 Johnson 2016    
RG Zeitler 2016 Hopkins 2016    
RT Ogbouehi 2018 Winston 2016    

K Nugent 2016      
P Huber 2017      
LS Harris 2017      

LE Dunlap 2018 Hunt 2016    
LT Peko 2016 Billings 2019    
RT Atkins 2018 Hardison 2018 Williams 2017  
RE Johnson 2018 Clarke 2017    
SLB Dansby 2016 Dawson 2018    
MLB Maualuga 2017 Vigil 2019    
WLB Rey 2018 Flowers 2017    
S Williams 2020 Smith 2018    
S Iloka 2020 Shaw 2018    
CB Jones 2018 Dennard 2017 Lewis-Harris 2016  
CB Kirkpatrick 2016 Jackson 2019    

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Tate and Sims are making this team, besides that it looks pretty good to me 

Definitely. Didn't notice those 2 missing. 0% chance in Sims gets cut. And it is less than 1% chance that Tate gets cut. God I hope Erickson is PS at best. Don't want to waste a roster spot on him.

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

You have to be kidding me on Tate. 

what in the past 12 years have you seen this team do that makes you think Tate gets cut?

they JUST re-signed him, and he costs NOTHING, and the bengals arent much for chopping cheap, veteran, role players who are familiar to the team/offense/whatever. 

also cant imagine erickson makes our or any roster. PS guy at best.

19 hours ago, GoBengals said:

what in the past 12 years have you seen this team do that makes you think Tate gets cut?

they JUST re-signed him, and he costs NOTHING, and the bengals arent much for chopping cheap, veteran, role players who are familiar to the team/offense/whatever. 

also cant imagine erickson makes our or any roster. PS guy at best.

Thank God someone else sees it. He's not good. It isn't like he's the rookie Jordan Shipley.

I'm still miffed why people hate Tate. He's extremely reliable, he's a good veteran presence, he's cheap on cap and he doesn't fuck up. He doesn't get put on the field to return punts for TDs. He gets put on the field to make smart fair catches, flip our field a little bit and not fumble. When they want to try to house a return Pacman goes out for the punt. Two or three times this preseason one of the young guys dropped back for a punt return and caught a ball way too deep and should have let it go or tried to return and should have fair caught. They do that once in a game and fumble and everyone will be calling for their head.

2 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

Thank God someone else sees it. He's not good. It isn't like he's the rookie Jordan Shipley.

I'm still miffed why people hate Tate. He's extremely reliable, he's a good veteran presence, he's cheap on cap and he doesn't fuck up. He doesn't get put on the field to return punts for TDs. He gets put on the field to make smart fair catches, flip our field a little bit and not fumble. When they want to try to house a return Pacman goes out for the punt. Two or three times this preseason one of the young guys dropped back for a punt return and caught a ball way too deep and should have let it go or tried to return and should have fair caught. They do that once in a game and fumble and everyone will be calling for their head.

Yeah, Tate is a pretty good 5th WR. He's never going to be a star, but he's pretty good at what he does. Decent on returns and seems to make a good number of plays when he's called on in the passing game. Some of this conversation reminds me a little of the one last offseason where some were claiming Denarius Moore was better/more talented than Marvin Jones. 

Erickson reminds me of Dane Sanzenbacher. He's probably one of those guys who is better than the 3rd stringers he's facing in the second half of preseason games, but not a real difference maker when you put him up against NFL starting DBs. I do hope he ends up on the P.S. though because he seems like he could be a reliable guy in a pinch and would be nice to have him around in case of injuries. 

2 hours ago, happyrid said:

Yeah, Tate is a pretty good 5th WR. He's never going to be a star, but he's pretty good at what he does. Decent on returns and seems to make a good number of plays when he's called on in the passing game. Some of this conversation reminds me a little of the one last offseason where some were claiming Denarius Moore was better/more talented than Marvin Jones. 

Erickson reminds me of Dane Sanzenbacher. He's probably one of those guys who is better than the 3rd stringers he's facing in the second half of preseason games, but not a real difference maker when you put him up against NFL starting DBs. I do hope he ends up on the P.S. though because he seems like he could be a reliable guy in a pinch and would be nice to have him around in case of injuries. 

I've been trying to think of his comparison but couldn't for the life of me come up with one. This is PERFECT. I agree with all of it including PS to join Russell and Simione. Can't see either of them being able to help in a pinch but they have much more potential where as Erickson could possibly give them a few snaps in a pinch if something is planned.

9 hours ago, happyrid said:

Caught 2 passes last year and is terrible at returns. 

Regarding FA pickups, I could see the Bengals pouncing on a few of their former practice squad guys if they get cut.

Terrell Watson appears to have the inside track on the final RB spot in Cleveland, but if he doesn't make it, I could see the Bengals picking him up to take Peerman's spot on the roster.  James Wilder Jr appears to be on the wrong side of the roster math in Buffalo, so if Watson isn't available, Wilder might be the consolation prize.

Troy Hill is considered a long-shot to make the Rams roster, and IMO he would be a massive upgrade over the guys the Bengals are looking at for the 6th CB role (Brown, Hillary, McRae). 

Regarding Erickson, I was skeptical initially, but he convinced me last night.  I thought his 80 yarder in the first preseason game was a fluke due to bad tackling, but every time he touches the ball he seems to be getting chunks of yardage.  It's not a one-time thing.  He keeps on breaking tackles and making the first guy miss.  He looks like a legit returner to me, and he also looks like he can provide some value at WR. 

30 minutes ago, Steve4192 said:

Regarding Erickson, I was skeptical initially, but he convinced me last night.  I thought his 80 yarder in the first preseason game was a fluke due to bad tackling, but every time he touches the ball he seems to be getting chunks of yardage.  It's not a one-time thing.  He keeps on breaking tackles and making the first guy miss.  He looks like a legit returner to me, and he also looks like he can provide some value at WR. 

I've been skeptical too. I still am but he did some things against players who weren't just 4th stringers yesterday. That plus Peerman going down I think he makes it now. He did fuck up the one punt return and let it bounce when he very easily should have caught it. You can be as exciting as you want returning but you better make the smart decisions on punts too or Simmons/Lewis won't let you return.

2 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

I've been skeptical too. I still am but he did some things against players who weren't just 4th stringers yesterday. That plus Peerman going down I think he makes it now. He did fuck up the one punt return and let it bounce when he very easily should have caught it. You can be as exciting as you want returning but you better make the smart decisions on punts too or Simmons/Lewis won't let you return.

I agree he should have fair caught that short punt, but I believe I will give him a pass.  Those 'tweener' punt can be tricky, if you don't get under it in time you may need to make a circus catch or it may  be too late to tail off and avoid it...a funny bounce can hit you and make it a live ball.  I've seen plenty of experienced players make the same decision to let it bounce, it was the safe play.

Other than that Mr Erickson has been pretty flawless, he has proven practically every time he touches the ball to me more elusive and stronger/harder to bring down than he looks.... doing North-South and not sideline to sideline.    It's one of those skills that can't be taught, God-given, ...ya got it or ya don't.

That said, I wish it was with stiffer competition.

I think the Sanzenbacher comparison is pretty spot on.  He wasn't worthless as he made some clutch catches here and there, but he definitely wasn't an every play threat.  I think just because there is a paucity of veteran presence at WR, there is just no way they part ways with Tate....again...this year.

Archived