Tate Gone - per hobs

Emphasis added. The real stuff is yet to come. And, ultimately, the Brazell Syndrome will vanish again from the populace for our version of Vince Papale. 

Right. So no rookie should ever play, because , hasn't proved anything, right?

In your world, does Tate never ever lose his job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Nice deflection. I'm happy you are totally sold on Alex Vince Brazell Papale Erickson. And why not? Feel good story and all. I will hope he does well...I am just not expecting much.

What deflection ? What the eff is going on, on this board? Burfict did okay as an UDFA. Housh was a 7th round pick who made good in this league. I don't know why you would immediately lump Erickson into a Benny Brazell bucket unless you are trolling or otherwise being an ass. I don't know what Erickson is, he looks promising (and how else can he look promising other than in practices and practice games - what other way can he try and prove himself, exactly?), clearly the motherfucking coaches think so (and it's not like Marvin to leap to youth, really, as I am sure you know), and it's not like Tate was an all-pro - he was fine for what he was. But if the coaches deem it time to try something new that might be better than Tate, why immediately assume it's a shit outcome? Maybe Erickson sucks. He could! And if he does, Tate may yet be available. God knows we cut and brought Cris Crocker back enough over the years, it can happen. 

At any rate, thanks for the reminder why this board can be such a goddamn bummer. 

What deflection ? What the eff is going on, on this board? Burfict did okay as an UDFA. Housh was a 7th round pick who made good in this league. I don't know why you would immediately lump Erickson into a Benny Brazell bucket unless you are trolling or otherwise being an ass. I don't know what Erickson is, he looks promising (and how else can he look promising other than in practices and practice games - what other way can he try and prove himself, exactly?), clearly the motherfucking coaches think so (and it's not like Marvin to leap to youth, really, as I am sure you know), and it's not like Tate was an all-pro - he was fine for what he was. But if the coaches deem it time to try something new that might be better than Tate, why immediately assume it's a shit outcome? Maybe Erickson sucks. He could! And if he does, Tate may yet be available. God knows we cut and brought Cris Crocker back enough over the years, it can happen. 

At any rate, thanks for the reminder why this board can be such a goddamn bummer. 

For what it's worth don't stop posting. Everything you just said was legit. This kid is going to be something special. Many posters here suffer from the same syndrome as Marvin Lewis. They have a hard time moving on. Their metaphorically hoarders, but in an NFL sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Yeah, god forbid someone have a difference of opinion, or a different perspective. I can see how painful that is for you.

13 minutes ago, Lucid said:

Yeah, god forbid someone have a difference of opinion, or a different perspective. I can see how painful that is for you.

Nice job, like that's the issue.

We have plenty of guys who made this team as UDFA or late round picks who have been good. We have plenty of UDFA and late round guys who have made this team and sucked ass. In every instance, there is nothing more to go on than practice games and practice. Other than "he's Brazell", which is a weird fucking comp because Brazell was an outside burner guy and Erickson is a slot guy, I am only seeing trolling BS. I have no idea, as I stated early on, whether Erickson is gonna be good or not. But the coaches clearly think he has a spark, and Darrin Simmons is pretty damn good at his job, so there's that. Also, I have watched the pre-season games and he does have a really good instinctive first set of steps as a punt returner that is immediately noticeable beyond what the results have been. And he has run some actual nice routes as a receiver and caught the ball and made plays. So maybe, he's at least as good as Tate has been and maybe he might even be better. 

People are welcome to say what the fuck ever about Erickson, but I don't get the immediate negativity, and slagging him as Brazell is weird. Just my opinion, of course, I can see how painful that must be for you.

8 minutes ago, membengal said:

Nice job, like that's the issue.

We have plenty of guys who made this team as UDFA or late round picks who have been good. We have plenty of UDFA and late round guys who have made this team and sucked ass. In every instance, there is nothing more to go on than practice games and practice. Other than "he's Brazell", which is a weird fucking comp because Brazell was an outside burner guy and Erickson is a slot guy, I am only seeing trolling BS. I have no idea, as I stated early on, whether Erickson is gonna be good or not. But the coaches clearly think he has a spark, and Darrin Simmons is pretty damn good at his job, so there's that. Also, I have watched the pre-season games and he does have a really good instinctive first set of steps as a punt returner that is immediately noticeable beyond what the results have been. And he has run some actual nice routes as a receiver and caught the ball and made plays.

People are welcome to say what the fuck ever about Erickson, but I don't get the immediate negativity, and slagging him as Brazell is weird. Just my opinion, of course, I can see how painful that must be for you.

Well, from my perspective, we were all having a pretty amicable discussion until you came in here getting all upset and calling people trolls. It's cool that you are more optimistic, I happen to agree with you. But not everyone sees things this way and IMO they are welcome to their opinions/perspective without being called names or being accused of nefarious motives. LeTigre has been here for a long time, and while I don't always agree with him, I don't think his pessimism is meant to be any sort of attack on you, or provocation in general..

TLDR? - "Lighten Up Francis"

16 minutes ago, membengal said:

I hear you, but would submit "Brazell syndrome" is a notch up from disagreement - in any event, I have said my piece. For the record, I have been in these parts a long time too.

I am very familiar with you. I am glad you stopped in to give your opinion. Just thought it could have done without the angst directed at someone you disagreed with. And also "for the record". this site has been very peaceful of late with very little in the way of strife or "trolling". Pretty much all of that went away with a couple bad apples. In fact, this post from you was one of the more heated posts directed at another member (and the board in general) in some time.

Le Tigre said this:

Especially when Erickson--this year's Bennie Brazell style object of fanlove--can neither return kicks/punts or catch

My apologies, that came across as trolling, or something close to it. He has literally shown he can do each of those things from what everyone has seen this camp.  Here's Darrin Simmons:

“I think it shows how much I believe in these guys,” Simmons said. ”Alex earned that spot. Not that Brandon lost it, but I think he earned that spot with his play-making ability. You saw it. Everyone saw it.

“This is no shot across the bow at Brandon Tate, but Brandon Tate was Alex Erickson at one point. At some point it’s the evolution of how the league works. You’re going to keep moving and finding the next guy whoever that may be. Everybody deserves those opportunities. There are hungry guys all over the place.”

If I should have said, instead of "you must be trolling" something more along the lines of, "that's a crazy take not based in reality at this point", I can do that. Has this board reached  a point where statements not really based in reality go unremarked upon?

To say that Erickson "can neither return kicks/punts or catch" - that is an "opinion" that so flies in the face of what we have seen and that Darrin Simmons himself acknowledges we all have seen, that I reacted to that with an explanation. So, yeah, if it wasn't trolling, my apologies. But it is damn weird. 

Like I said, when the lights come on, maybe he sucks and we miss Tate. But I am comfortable giving him the chance, it's not like Tate was all that. 

As for "stopping in", I check this site every day and participate when I can. I even started this thread. Lesson learned, maybe don't participate in the future. That's what you all clearly still want. 

6 minutes ago, membengal said:

Le Tigre said this:

My apologies, that came across as trolling, or something close to it. He has literally shown he can do each of those things from what everyone has seen this camp.  Here's Darrin Simmons:

If I should have said, instead of "you must be trolling" something more along the lines of, "that's a crazy take not based in reality at this point", I can do that. Has this board reached  a point where statements not really based in reality go unremarked upon?

To say that Erickson "can neither return kicks/punts or catch" - that is an "opinion" that so flies in the face of what we have seen and that Darrin Simmons himself acknowledges we all have seen, that I reacted to that with an explanation. So, yeah, if it wasn't trolling, my apologies. But it is damn weird. 

Like I said, when the lights come on, maybe he sucks and we miss Tate. But I am comfortable giving him the chance, it's not like Tate was all that. 

As for "stopping in", I check this site every day and participate when I can. I even started this thread. Lesson learned, maybe don't participate in the future. That's what you all clearly still want. 

It's not trolling to have a difference of opinion. LeTigre points out these kinds of pre-season crushes every season. And as much as I hate to admit it, he is usually right. How often do these things actually work out?

What I don't understand is the hostility? Why can't you just say your peace, have a disagreement, and leave all the angst out of it? What is the point of slamming the board, or calling someone a troll? What does it accomplish? How does creating a conflict between you and Letigre make this a better discussion? How does slamming the board make this a better place? Of course we want you to contribute, but if contributing means slamming the board in general and accusing people of being trolls then I don't see that as helping.

OK. Sorry, Mem, I am not trying to troll...but sometimes it does get there. 

I am all for new and improved players making their mark here. And, as I said, hope that our young Alex can fill that role. May it be so. 

However, and I do mean this only in a jesting nature, I find the annual fanlove for certain players (see Bennie as the example, but there are always others) hilarious. In the case of Alex over Tate, it is not that big of a deal. But how often do these erstwhile new toys excite fanlove to call for the jettisoning of older toys for whom they have become tired of? 

In any event, no more trolling.  

Fair enough, Tigre, I apologize for my reaction.

I get skepticism ( I even indicated as much when I said I now feared Erickson fumbling in first chance against Jets) - but we can also acknowledge that sometimes useful pieces if not gems come from the UDFA and low-drafted ranks too. Not often, but sometimes. There was tons of skepticism on this board and in the fanbase over Burfict, for instance. So, I'm gonna hold onto hope that the legit flashes we have seen from Erickson are for real. I do, at the least, approve of the Bengals TRYING to get better at Tate's position. It beats running in place, in my view.

Peace.

22 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

OK. Sorry, Mem, I am not trying to troll...but sometimes it does get there. 

I am all for new and improved players making their mark here. And, as I said, hope that our young Alex can fill that role. May it be so. 

However, and I do mean this only in a jesting nature, I find the annual fanlove for certain players (see Bennie as the example, but there are always others) hilarious. In the case of Alex over Tate, it is not that big of a deal. But how often do these erstwhile new toys excite fanlove to call for the jettisoning of older toys for whom they have become tired of? 

In any event, no more trolling.  

I agree it is comical how fans fall in love with a certain player every training camp but I completely disagree with your fan love comment in this instance. This is the first time under Marvin that I recall that a veteran player that the coaches thought highly of was cut to make room for a undrafted player. I'm not saying the kid will be good but the coaches must have seen a lot to move on from Tate. 

22 hours ago, jhowdy54 said:

People hated Tate, but thought he got hate he didnt deserve. The guy never fumbled and was in the top half of the league every year in return average.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Just want to point out 1 thing about his avg return yards on a kickoff... When he catches the ball 8 yds deep in the end zone and make it to the 18 yd line, it is listed as a 26yd return.  I'm just saying...

2 hours ago, rcarpenter62 said:

Just want to point out 1 thing about his avg return yards on a kickoff... When he catches the ball 8 yds deep in the end zone and make it to the 18 yd line, it is listed as a 26yd return.  I'm just saying...

Except he didn't really do that. The coaches loved that he almost always made the right decision.

2 hours ago, bengals7833 said:

I agree it is comical how fans fall in love with a certain player every training camp but I completely disagree with your fan love comment in this instance. This is the first time under Marvin that I recall that a veteran player that the coaches thought highly of was cut to make room for a undrafted player. I'm not saying the kid will be good but the coaches must have seen a lot to move on from Tate. 

AJ hawk?

Aj hawk was old and just not that good anymore. He got replaced by dansby another vet. I didn't say the bengals have never cut anyone before. Point was they typically don't cut players like Tate. A team player the coaches loved who was under 30. The fact they did says they like what they've seen from errickson and hopefully he is more than just this years training camp unknown fan favorite 

Also heard Duke Tobin during the game say he wouldn't be surprised if Tate ended up back on the roster. When I first heard about him getting cut, to me, it sounded like they didn't want to guarantee that contract and allows them to cut bait whenever they want during the season with injuries.

He doesn't do much for me. He doesn't work the middle of the field in the passing game. Its either a bubble screen or fluke bomb. Little change of direction. Kind of Jacoby Jones-lite. If blocking is good he can break off a nice gain, if not and he tries to go east-west, its all over. Erickson may not have break-away speed, but he's able to make some things happen by going east-west if needed.

On 8/31/2016 at 1:35 PM, TimKrumrieFan said:

Except he didn't really do that. The coaches loved that he almost always made the right decision.

I gotta tell you man... I recall him doing it way too often.  He was admittedly a whipping boy for me, but he did that multiple times.

Archived