Bodine Jets Game

Hello All,

I am rewatching the Jets game and so far this is what I have dissected:

- Second sack of game was due to Bodine getting beat badly by DT

- INT that Dalton allowed was due to a hurried throw due to pressure from Bodines defender.

More to come ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Alexander seems to have a preference for mediocre players who can dominate on some snaps while looking really bad on others as opposed to steady but just average players. Nate Livings was just like Bodine--dominant one second, and then "what the heck?" the next. I guess he thinks he can coach them up well enough to eliminate the bad whereas the steady but just average player has a much lower ceiling.

Can't pin all the sacks on Bodine though. A few were coverage sacks, and I remember one where the left side of the Jets D-line ran a stunt. Ogbuehi picked up the interior lineman, which I think was correct, while Zeitler is completely unaware that the end is looping behind inside, and the end gets to Dalton. This is one weakness that Zeitler seems to get beaten by over and over, including the 2013 Texans playoff game. Actually I think a stunt leading to a sack screwed up him so bad in that game that he completely shit his pants and blocked nobody the next play, leading to a Dalton INT.

5 hours ago, SlantNGo said:

Paul Alexander seems to have a preference for mediocre players who can dominate on some snaps while looking really bad on others as opposed to steady but just average players.

He's always talking up the technical ability of some shit lineman like their awesome technique is going to make up for a complete lack of ability.  Combined with the way Zeitler and other players seem to actually get worse under his coaching I would've been happy to see him canned a long time ago. The fact that he is still named as the Assistant HC is disturbing. Andy's sub 3-second release has convinced some people we have an elite OL. We do not.  Even with the quick release he's not going to make November if they play like they did against NY.

Whitworth and Boling have improved quite a bit under his coaching, so I'm not sure that he's a bad coach, but maybe not the best talent evaluator. Whit is one case where Alexander has been right, and awesome technique wins. Ogbuehi is so smooth with his set that I have high hopes for him compared to Andre, who never seemed to master the technical side of the game.

1 hour ago, SlantNGo said:

Whitworth and Boling have improved quite a bit under his coaching, so I'm not sure that he's a bad coach, but maybe not the best talent evaluator. Whit is one case where Alexander has been right, and awesome technique wins. Ogbuehi is so smooth with his set that I have high hopes for him compared to Andre, who never seemed to master the technical side of the game.

Agreed. I think he's really good with every position except center. I think he is clueless at scouting and developing centers.  He has a very long and successful track record at every position except center. Shit he even resurrected Andre Smith after his debacle and injuries and weight issues into a pretty good RT for a while. He got Stacy Andrews hella paid in FA and built a pretty strong line here for a long time.

You guys are funny, you act like you know what you are talking but clearly don't have a clue. I didn't know there are so many offensive line coaches that post on go-bengals.com.

Bodine is not the worst center in the league and while he does have areas to improve he's not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. All players win some battles and lose some battles, especially line men. The other guys get paid just as much or even more than Bodine, meaning they are pretty good too. Yes he gets beat some times but he also wins as well. 

Playing center is tough and takes years to master, the best center this team has had in past 20 years was Richie Braham it took him a few years to figure it out. The team is having success, they went 12-4 last year, had a RB that lead the NFL in TD's, and they are 1-0 this year...so obviously he's doing something's right. 

1 minute ago, PatternMaster said:

You guys are funny, you act like you know what you are talking but clearly don't have a clue. I didn't know there are so many offensive line coaches that post on go-bengals.com.

Bodine is not the worst center in the league and while he does have areas to improve he's not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. All players win some battles and lose some battles, especially line men. The other guys get paid just as much or even more than Bodine, meaning they are pretty good too. Yes he gets beat some times but he also wins as well. 

Playing center is tough and takes years to master, the best center this team has had in past 20 years was Richie Braham it took him a few years to figure it out. The team is having success, they went 12-4 last year, had a RB that lead the NFL in TD's, and they are 1-0 this year...so obviously he's doing something's right. 

as i joked about this is just like the Hunt bitching. "he gets no pressure on the qb" like they called the play and know he wasnt on contain, or he wasnt to push outside to open a gap for a LB blitz, etc. every player should have 10 sacks a year or they suck and we need to replace them.

CLEARLY every linemen we have should be trucking every defender, its not like we run a zone blocking scheme ever(we do), or not like the jets were stunting their ass off and confusing about everyone on the offensive line(they were) and certainly it couldnt be plausible that they sent two DT's into one gap to overpower and break our blocking scheme(they did).

we got a lot of young guys on the line and some old guys on the line, whitworth got rag dolled like i have never seen a few times.

jets front 7 is tits, we have a mix of aged and raw guys on the line. this is going to happen in every badass front 7 we face.. 

wanna know who sucks? Dansby against the run. but im hoping it was fresh defense fresh team first game type issues that can be fixed with film and comfort level. otherwise id prefer to only see him on passing downs. but we will see next week.

16 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

is this the same group who cant figure out why Hunt is on the team?

judging by the analysis data so far i will assume it is...

Don't forget, Dre. The coaches obviously don't know what they're doing.

42 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Don't forget, Dre. The coaches obviously don't know what they're doing.

These same coaches also raved about Ghiaciuc and then basically admitted he was useless once they moved on from him. Bodine isn't the worst center in the NFL but he's also not in the top 20 either and they haven't really brought in any competition for him at all. Bodine has potential and you see flashes of it but more often you see him totally killing a play. The members of this board may not know OL work inside and out but when you have former NFL players that played OL tweeting or talking on ESPN/CBS/NBC/NFL Network about all of the errors Bodine is making then I'll side with them and that the coaches are trying to stick through it and be positive with Bodine.

1 hour ago, GoBengals said:

wanna know who sucks? Dansby against the run. but im hoping it was fresh defense fresh team first game type issues that can be fixed with film and comfort level. otherwise id prefer to only see him on passing downs. but we will see next week.

Not disagreeing about Dansby.  When I looked at the stats I saw he led the team with 11 tackles.  A big ol' "huh?" for me.  I didn't notice him or wasn't paying attention.  Maybe a lot of the tackles was a dozen yards down field.

26 minutes ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

These same coaches also raved about Ghiaciuc and then basically admitted he was useless once they moved on from him. Bodine isn't the worst center in the NFL but he's also not in the top 20 either and they haven't really brought in any competition for him at all. Bodine has potential and you see flashes of it but more often you see him totally killing a play. The members of this board may not know OL work inside and out but when you have former NFL players that played OL tweeting or talking on ESPN/CBS/NBC/NFL Network about all of the errors Bodine is making then I'll side with them and that the coaches are trying to stick through it and be positive with Bodine.

To add to this, the coaches have nothing to gain by telling the media and fans that he sucks.  Until they're in position to get a better center they need to encourage him, coach him and hope he gets better.  I honestly believe if Ryan Kelly was there in the first round, that was our pick.

8 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Not disagreeing about Dansby.  When I looked at the stats I saw he led the team with 11 tackles.  A big ol' "huh?" for me.  I didn't notice him or wasn't paying attention.  Maybe a lot of the tackles was a dozen yards down field.

He looked EXHAUSTED in that game. He also played all 71 snaps and he's like 34. He's more of a coverage LB at this point in his career than an all around guy. He's not meant to be out there stoning the run and playing 71 snaps. That's a case of Burfict out and them not wanting Maualuga on the field in the nickel.

Archived