Tyler Eifert news...

17 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Conventional wisdom tells us reports corroborated by official sources are going to be more reliable than something that someone heard from somebody. 

If you notice, I didn't attack the content of his message, but appropriately, where he came from. I'll take the stuff I read on Cincinnati.com and ESPN.com before what might have been overheard on a hunting trip.

News sources, particularly multiple ones, trump hearsay every time. 

My point is where do you think the "insiders" get their information from?

I have had access to information about the Bengals before ESPN and Cincinnati.com because of knowing certain people. Just because something is not reported by a media source doesn't mean it is not true.

Marvin doesn't give the media injury information unless he has to and he tells his players to do the same. Just look at the media reports from this week, Eifert says he is "still working through some things" and basically says he won't play, while Marvin says he could play if some.

Also if a reporter covers a team they will likely not report on a particular story so they can protect a relationship with a coach or player. 

Information from a source that is close to a player is probably more reliable than what gets reported by official sites like ESPN.

20 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I have had access to information about the Bengals before ESPN and Cincinnati.com because of knowing certain people. Just because something is not reported by a media source doesn't mean it is not true.

Marvin doesn't give the media injury information unless he has to and he tells his players to do the same. Just look at the media reports from this week, Eifert says he is "still working through some things" and basically says he won't play, while Marvin says he could play if some.

Also if a reporter covers a team they will likely not report on a particular story so they can protect a relationship with a coach or player. 

Information from a source that is close to a player is probably more reliable than what gets reported by official sites like ESPN.

Go back and read the articles. It wasn't your typical Marvin's minimalist bullshit, there was the semblance of reporting there. They were actually covering the story from at least a couple angles, not simply what Marvin had spewed in ten words or less at a presser. 

My point is, if there were validity to the "inside sources" Krumrie (the poster) was citing, someone in the press might have been able to sniff some truth out of it. But, I'd rather stick to facts that were corroborated by several sources. Also, this isn't about beating anyone to the punch...this is all hindsight and retrospect, it isn't about breaking a story first. 

How hard is it to accept the premise that when discussing something, factual, citable sources beat out "I heard a guy say..."? 

33 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Exactly and Jim O knows the story. But he also knows if he reports that he will lose a source that feeds him info. His relationship with the team/players is bigger than one story.

6 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Go back and read the articles. It wasn't your typical Marvin's minimalist bullshit, there was the semblance of reporting there. They were actually covering the story from at least a couple angles, not simply what Marvin had spewed in ten words or less at a presser. 

My point is, if there were validity to the "inside sources" Krumrie (the poster) was citing, someone in the press might have been able to sniff some truth out of it. But, I'd rather stick to facts that were corroborated by several sources. Also, this isn't about beating anyone to the punch...this is all hindsight and retrospect, it isn't about breaking a story first. 

How hard is it to accept the premise that when discussing something, factual, citable sources beat out "I heard a guy say..."? 

I don't think anyone is arguing that citable sources trumps info from non published sources. But they also haven't really spoken on Eifert's later need for surgery so there really isn't anything to argue that a citable source trumps it as the team has been very vague about it. I threw in what I knew. I trust it and I know it is accurate. You are free to believe it is completely made up that is one of the joy's of this country. It won't hurt my feelings. Someone might care so I post it. It isn't near the first nor the last info I will get and share. I've gotten info that later proved to be wrong or didn't end up happening  and I've had info that was dead on and either went official shortly later or was proven to be true down the road.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Hide what? It is a completely, above-board, open book, league. I would model my own organization after them!

----Vince McMahon

Hey that's an insult to Vince!  I have more respect for him than Goodell.  McMahon doesn't mumble about integrity around a mouthful of Rooney's shriveled dick.

Archived