The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Broncos

I'm just going to say this.... Why are people riding Hill's nutsack again?

Dude had 62 yards on the very first drive, and didn't break 100 on the day. Outside of one big run where he went untouched, he got 47 yards on 16 carries. 2.9 YPC.

He had 62 yards in 5 minutes and then got another 35 in 55 minutes. Not really a running game you can hang your hat on.

The only thing that I'm seen as a good thing is that Pisspuke got destroyed by the Eagles,  so every day does have its silver lining...everything else is shit.   Appreciated that they decided to stay with the running game, but seriously once again we let a new wet-behind-the-ears starter look like the second coming of any elite Hall-of-Fame QB that you choose to use.   Our secondary got scorched, not just burned--SCORCHED....and apparently thanks to what's supposed to be our #1 corner loooking like he shouldn't even be on the practice squad let alone a starter.

And once again it seemed that  the general idea is 'control AJ,  and everything else is cake'.   I know it's hindsight, especially after seeing Marvin Jones go to town on the Packers (I'm starting to wish the Bengals put up the scratch to keep him instead of letting him walk),  but it's getting ridiculous.   If having Eifert out is that much of a detriment to our passing game,  we have more fucked up problems than we thought.  and they better need to be fixed quick.

23 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Dude had 62 yards on the very first drive, and didn't break 100 on the day. Outside of one big run where he went untouched, he got 47 yards on 16 carries. 2.9 YPC.

He had 62 yards in 5 minutes and then got another 35 in 55 minutes. Not really a running game you can hang your hat on.

Because good coaches on good teams make the necessary adjustments when they get gashed in a first half. Our inept coaching staff is unable to do the same and anticipate the other coaching staff adjusting to what you're doing. You know, maybe throwing some different looks and blocking schemes to counter that. They kept running that same over load and pulling guard/tackle play way too often, eventually the other team will sniff it out. And even the best runners don't get much yardage if they get first contact before they even get to the LoS.

I do think Hill can do better after first contact, but I also think it's a lot on our blocking schemes and our OL not being physical enough despite their size.

42 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Not sure after this week, but last week Bengals yards before contact when rushing the ball was third worst in the NFL.  That is the problem, not the RB you mentioned.

1 hour ago, DanvilleBengal said:

The only thing that I'm seen as a good thing is that Pisspuke got destroyed by the Eagles,  so every day does have its silver lining...everything else is shit.   Appreciated that they decided to stay with the running game, but seriously once again we let a new wet-behind-the-ears starter look like the second coming of any elite Hall-of-Fame QB that you choose to use.   Our secondary got scorched, not just burned--SCORCHED....and apparently thanks to what's supposed to be our #1 corner loooking like he shouldn't even be on the practice squad let alone a starter.

And once again it seemed that  the general idea is 'control AJ,  and everything else is cake'.   I know it's hindsight, especially after seeing Marvin Jones go to town on the Packers (I'm starting to wish the Bengals put up the scratch to keep him instead of letting him walk),  but it's getting ridiculous.   If having Eifert out is that much of a detriment to our passing game,  we have more fucked up problems than we thought.  and they better need to be fixed quick.

I think the other WRs will eventually find their grove with Andy as the season goes on, but yes right now it's a problem. Not having Eiffert in there now is hurting us.

All these posts about out coached, out maneuvered, referees etc. etc. seem to be over reactionary due to the loss that is still fresh in the mind from yesterday.  The bengals are in the top third of the league in total offense through three games and i bet it was close to top 5 before yesterdays game.  Marvin lewis does not block, fumble(i know they were shitty calls, happens to everyone), throw interceptions, give up big pass plays, miss interceptions, drop balls, or get penalties called against him on crucial third downs.  it sounds nice to blame him, but the players are on the field, they know what to do.  They are one of the winningest franchises this decade.  Could he improve as a coach?  Yes, everyone can.  However, on field mistakes, by tried and true veterans have been the difference.  I expect them to correct it very soon.  No doubt Eifert and Taz will help that cause.  

1 hour ago, Dautcom08 said:

Not sure after this week, but last week Bengals yards before contact when rushing the ball was third worst in the NFL.  That is the problem, not the RB you mentioned.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

Yeah, and Hill is still the lowest in success %. He's the 41st ranked rusher. (Out of 42 players)

I don't disagree that the line is part of the problem, but one good series from the line/Hill does not a "Yay, the run game is back" make. This is not a run game that's putting us in third and short, nor is it a run game that's going to eat clock when needed.

If you have stats on yards after contact, I'd love to know the number... Best I can find is how poorly Hill did last year...

Jeremy Hill: He is one of the more fascinating players on this list. As a rookie in 2014, Hill looked every bit the part of a physical runner, averaging 2.29 yards after contact, fourth-best in the NFL. But last year, that number plummeted to 1.46, fourth-worst, and it's tough to figure out a reasonable explanation why. Hill will once again join Giovani Bernard in the Cincinnati Bengals' backfield and will try to regain the form he showed in his first NFL season.

8 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Uhhh...no, it's Grove.

Getting in a groove was implied above in a post but spelled grove. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:
I think the other WRs will eventually find their grove with Andy as the season goes on, but yes right now it's a problem. Not having Eiffert in there now is hurting us.

I don't care if our players find a grove or a groove as long as they find the endzone.  Thanks Jamie for a thought provoking post.

30 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Getting in a groove was implied above in a post but spelled grove. 

I don't care if our players find a grove or a groove as long as they find the endzone.  Thanks Jamie for a thought provoking post.

I think the other WRs will eventually find their grove with Andy as the season goes on, but yes right

*****I thought it was a typo for "grave"... as in "I think the other WR's will eventually find their grave with Andy as the season goes on.

All these posts about out coached, out maneuvered, referees etc. etc. seem to be over reactionary due to the loss that is still fresh in the mind from yesterday.  The bengals are in the top third of the league in total offense through three games and i bet it was close to top 5 before yesterdays game.  Marvin lewis does not block, fumble(i know they were shitty calls, happens to everyone), throw interceptions, give up big pass plays, miss interceptions, drop balls, or get penalties called against him on crucial third downs.  it sounds nice to blame him, but the players are on the field, they know what to do.  They are one of the winningest franchises this decade.  Could he improve as a coach?  Yes, everyone can.  However, on field mistakes, by tried and true veterans have been the difference.  I expect them to correct it very soon.  No doubt Eifert and Taz will help that cause.  

It is Lewis's fault. You familiar with the term " coach um up ".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I think the other WRs will eventually find their grove with Andy as the season goes on, but yes right

*****I thought it was a typo for "grave"... as in "I think the other WR's will eventually find their grave with Andy as the season goes on.

I didn't think it was a typo at all. I thought he was inferring that the WRs will eventually find a small group of trees that produce fruit or nuts with Andy as the season goes on.

AJ and Marvin were bookend #1's. We are seeing that now. Greens struggling without Marvin Jones splitting the defenses. La fell's not the solution and Boyd is a full season away

13 minutes ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

AJ and Marvin were bookend #1's. We are seeing that now. Greens struggling without Marvin Jones splitting the defenses. La fell's not the solution and Boyd is a full season away

Green is struggling without Marvin Jones? In three games this season AJ has 22 receptions for 295 yards (3rd in the AFC). Last season in his first three games he had 18 receptions for 335 yards. I would hardly call the difference struggling. Last season AJ had two 100+ yard games in the first 8 Weeks and four 100+ yard games on the season. He's right on pace to equal or better his 2015 totals.

The Bengals also played NYJ, PIT and DEN in the first three games this season and OAK, SD and BAL in the first three last season. That's a considerable difference.

AJ will be just fine.

1 hour ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

AJ is struggling (sic) because, unlike Jones, he does not have a quarterback who will throw the ball down the field.  Assuming his O line gives him time which ain't happening.

Archived