Paste to other thread but thought it deserved special attention... thanks

CINCINNATI -- Bengals coach Marvin Lewis says he believes Vontaze Burfict is being scrutinized because of his history and that the linebacker did not stomp on New England Patriots running back LeGarrette Blount.

According to a league source, Burfict was fined $75,000 by the NFL for his actions in Sunday's game against the Patriots and has appealed.

"I don't think he did anything wrong," Lewis said. "We were not in the wrong here, in my opinion. And it's unfortunate. That's what I have told and stood on and will continue to."

Lewis spent part of his Monday news conference defending Burfict for a low hit on Patriots tight end Martellus Bennett, saying he was reacting to a pump fake by Tom Brady. Burfict was not flagged for the hit.

The Bengals coach said he watched the video of the alleged stomp several times, and Burfict was not in the wrong.?

"I don't think he meant to do anything. And I've been through it back and forth as big as this board behind me," Lewis said. "Hell if I can see who steps where or whatever. I see him try to step through [the pile] and try to go help [a] teammate. ... Someone from another team has a hand on his teammate's face mask, pushing him in the face, and that's what he's trying to get to. But that doesn't matter -- it's done. We'll move on and things will happen the way they happen."

Lewis said he believes Burfict is essentially under a microscrope because of his history. Burfict began the season on a three-game suspension for violations of player safety and has been fined eight times -- totaling $279,329 -- for on-field incidents.

"That's a thing he knows. He's got to realize all the time so it's not the national furor all the time," Lewis said. "Just play football and our guys aren't going to talk about it, as I've instructed. If anybody has any questions, they can talk to me about it."

12 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I hope he appeals....

I mean for christ sake he did less than Mike Munchak when he grabbed Nelson's hair, and got fined, then appealed and it got dropped.

That's exactly what I've been yelling about.  Why do you think that shit happens?  

13 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

Perception equals reality in today's media hyped NFL.

They were all over him on M&M on ESPN this morning.  Both "Greeny" and Golic were SHOCKED he wasn't suspended and Schlereth was of the believe he needed to be kicked out for an extended period of time.  For basically doing nothing.

I'm a Bengals fan, but this is some serious rose colored glasses crap.  Burfict went low on Bennett and knew what he was doing.  He stepped on Blount's leg and knew what he was doing.  Burfict get's what he's earned.  Burfict also went down like a sissy boy when Blount pushed him.  He drew the unsportsmanlike, but at that point who cares.  Frankly, I could care less about the fines/suspensions to Blount, Gronk, or whoever.  Worry about yourself.  Control yourself.  Don't put yourself in those situations.  Excuses.  If any of you have kids I hope you don't accept that crap from them either.

Mike and Mike are outraged over everything.  I have no idea whey anyone listens to them.  

Burfict is who he is...a talented LB that can't control himself on the field.  At this point he's a liability.

36 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I'm a Bengals fan, but this is some serious rose colored glasses crap.  Burfict went low on Bennett and knew what he was doing.  He stepped on Blount's leg and knew what he was doing.  Burfict get's what he's earned.  Burfict also went down like a sissy boy when Blount pushed him.  He drew the unsportsmanlike, but at that point who cares.  Frankly, I could care less about the fines/suspensions to Blount, Gronk, or whoever.  Worry about yourself.  Control yourself.  Don't put yourself in those situations.  Excuses.  If any of you have kids I hope you don't accept that crap from them either.

Mike and Mike are outraged over everything.  I have no idea whey anyone listens to them.  

Burfict is who he is...a talented LB that can't control himself on the field.  At this point he's a liability.

Correct...and correct.

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

We both know that's not what I was saying.

I guess I'm not sure what you are saying then.  I asked why you thought a coach blatantly pulling a player's hair on the sideline was at first fined, then reversed on appeal.  Or why the ref decided to pocket the flag after watching Blount try to gouge out someone's eyes. Neither of these plays involved Burfict in any way.  Though if you want to talk Burfict, why was a Stooler player allowed to publicly post death threats without any sort of disciplinary action?  What do you think would've happened if, say, Josh Shaw tweeted that he was going to shoot Mike Mitchell on sight?  I have a hard time believing it would've been ignored.

For the sake of simplicity:  Do you think Goodell's conduct policy is enforced evenly and fairly?

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

the bennett "hit" was perfectly legal and he got nothing for it as such.

he didnt stomp on a god damn thing. and i dont see any angle that shows him stepping on anyone, i see him stepping through a pile, and as marv mentioned the patriots guy had his hand in our guys facemask smashing his face down... and burfect was attempting to end that situation...

and as others have pointed out, others have done worse and walked with no punishment. how is that rose colored glasses? its factual, others have done worse, and got nothing.

seems you have your own burfict hating agenda, you bring up perfectly legal plays as reasons he "cant control himself"... how is that an unbiased point of view exactly?

52 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I guess I'm not sure what you are saying then.  I asked why you thought a coach blatantly pulling a player's hair on the sideline was at first fined, then reversed on appeal.  Or why the ref decided to pocket the flag after watching Blount try to gouge out someone's eyes. Neither of these plays involved Burfict in any way.  Though if you want to talk Burfict, why was a Stooler player allowed to publicly post death threats without any sort of disciplinary action?  What do you think would've happened if, say, Josh Shaw tweeted that he was going to shoot Mike Mitchell on sight?  I have a hard time believing it would've been ignored.

For the sake of simplicity:  Do you think Goodell's conduct policy is enforced evenly and fairly?

I think that because of Bufict's history he is going to be under more scrutiny. I think given the evidence this fine is unwarranted and he should appeal it, but I also think he's going to have to have to do more to overcome his history and because of that history he's not going to get things let go like others might who don't have that history. Thus I think this incident an individual incident is far less than what Munchack did, but on the whole it's not and it is after all the whole that got him suspended in the first place.

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

I think that because of Bufict's history he is going to be under more scrutiny. I think given the evidence this fine is unwarranted and he should appeal it, but I also think he's going to have to have to do more to overcome his history and because of that history he's not going to get things let go like others might who don't have that history. Thus I think this incident an individual incident is far less than what Munchack did, but on the whole it's not and it is after all the whole that got him suspended in the first place.

:facepalm:

Jebus take the wheel... Can you see why I'm maybe a bit confused?  Burfict's history controls Goodell's conduct policy? Burfict's history made the ref pick up a flag for eye gouging a different player? I mean.. Did Burfict's history also cause the Irish Potato Famine?

And how is Burfict supposed to "overcome his history" when he's being fined for shit he didn't even do?

38 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

:facepalm:

Jebus take the wheel... Can you see why I'm maybe a bit confused?  Burfict's history controls Goodell's conduct policy? Burfict's history made the ref pick up a flag for eye gouging a different player? I mean.. Did Burfict's history also cause the Irish Potato Famine?

And how is Burfict supposed to "overcome his history" when he's being fined for shit he didn't even do?

No. I don't see why you're confused at all, I am having a bit of trouble seeing why you are being naive about this however.

Archived