The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Browns game 1

Beautiful:
AJ Green is a beast.
Jeremy Hill ran like he did his rookie year.
Winning

Good:
Dalton played well
Rex and Gio were solid.
LaFell is turning into a good player for us. Extend him now.

Bad:
Giving up 100 rushing yards to the QB.
Nugent. Needs to account for the wind a little better.

Ugly:
Tackling
Announcers

The defense has to improve their play recognition and tackling, no way we should have let Hogan run the same play with that type of success.

Also the special teams have to be more consistent, penalties and errors will cost us vs an actual NFL team, thankfully we were playing a team full of rookies.

Sent from my XT1254 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Beautiful and fucking awful at the same time:  AJ Green snatched a Marvinball from the jaws of mediocrity at the end of the 1st half. 

A Pats fan buddy of mine was over at my place to watch Browns at Bengals.  He said, "No wonder you all have had such problems winning a playoff game.  You have to seize opportunities, not intentionally let them slide away." 

16 minutes ago, Dr Tarzan said:

The beautiful:

Emily Van Hoose....physically handicapped but still belts out the best anthem ever.

Leah Still-- cameo at the game and great ...still fighting the good fight...

Very nice job on the anthem.   Probably one of the top two I've ever heard here. 

Glad to hear Leah is clear of the hurdles she faced 

An extra bad simply because it continues to happen...

Clock management.  At the end of the first half, time on the clock, three time outs and Marv starts with two running plays up the middle like, as usual, he's going to run out the clock.   Boos from the fans and calling him out by name.  They did get it down the field after the two bupkees runs and AJ made a highlight reel catch of a Hail Mary.  If not for that, we would have walked away with nothing the way Nugent was kicking.  A.J. definitely saved Marv's bacon on that.

14 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

An extra bad simply because it continues to happen...

Clock management.  At the end of the first half, time on the clock, three time outs and Marv starts with two running plays up the middle like, as usual, he's going to run out the clock.   Boos from the fans and calling him out by name.  They did get it down the field after the two bupkees runs and AJ made a highlight reel catch of a Hail Mary.  If not for that, we would have walked away with nothing the way Nugent was kicking.  A.J. definitely saved Marv's bacon on that.

Yes. The whole two-minute drive "management" week-in and week-out continues to baffle everyone with even the slightest bit of football knowledge. The biggest "WTF" moment out of that whole possession was that good ol' Marv said postgame in regards to AJ's TD: "It didn't change the game since the Browns scored to open the 2nd half".

WHAT???? No Marv, you see, if you hadn't scored there and the Browns had opened the 2nd half with that TD as they did, you'd have been trailing 17-14.

Yes. The whole two-minute drive "management" week-in and week-out continues to baffle everyone with even the slightest bit of football knowledge. The biggest "WTF" moment out of that whole possession was that good ol' Marv said postgame in regards to AJ's TD: "It didn't change the game since the Browns scored to open the 2nd half".

WHAT???? No Marv, you see, if you hadn't scored there and the Browns had opened the 2nd half with that TD as they did, you'd have been trailing 17-14.

He's just not that good of a HC, his 0-7 playoff record is the proof.

Sent from my XT1254 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

23 minutes ago, jhowdy54 said:

How bout the sack by Carlos Dunlap beating Cedric Ogbuehi.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Gawd the announcers were terrible.  I lost count how many times they'd say "Brow...Bengals"...or "Beng...Browns".  Maybe they were confused by the uniforms?  :)

Crediting/blaming player names that were clearly wrong with the most obvious the Ogbeuhi one above.  I literally LOL'd several times with how bad they were.

One of them was either clearly biased to the Browns or blind as a bat...."He fair catches at the 14" when it was past the 15..."he's just short of the 1st down" when a Bengal clearly had the 1st down by 2 yds...etc, etc.

8 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Gawd the announcers were terrible.  I lost count how many times they'd say "Brow...Bengals"...or "Beng...Browns".  Maybe they were confused by the uniforms?  :)

Crediting/blaming player names that were clearly wrong with the most obvious the Ogbeuhi one above.  I literally LOL'd several times with how bad they were.

One of them was either clearly biased to the Browns or blind as a bat...."He fair catches at the 14" when it was past the 15..."he's just short of the 1st down" when a Bengal clearly had the 1st down by 2 yds...etc, etc.

yep.. it was unreal.. most unprofessional shit ever.. How the hell can those shitheads get on national television??????

GOOD
Andy Dalton with yet another solid performance
AJ Green is ALL WORLD
Jeremy Hill, like in the Denver game, played like he did his rookie year
Gio and Rex also had solid games
Brandon LaFell continues to be a good option at WR
Stealers, Ravens and Browns all lost
Kirkpatrick and Jones shutdown the Browns WRs (even though they had Kevin Hogan at QB)
Andy Dalton's hair. It's fucking awesome.

BAD
Rey Maualuga...why do the Bengals take years to upgrade positions that average arm chair fans can see is an issue? Guy should have been replaced years ago.
Karlos Dansby...it seemed like a good idea at the time but, this guy is past his prime.
Defensive line continues to struggle to get sacks. Pressure is good but we need some QBs eating dirt.
Shawn Williams...did a few things well and MANY things poorly. The drop off from Nelson to Williams has been steep. I'm going to revisit that "Williams Is Da Man" thread from the offseason
Cedric Ogbuehi...I'm only counting him as "BAD" as it's essentially his rookie year and Paul Alexander is his coach but when I am praying to see Eric Winston on the field...you BAD 

UGLY
Special teams is a mess! Huber is having a below average year. Nugent still can't hit from 50+ and now 40+ looks iffy. Alex Erickson is trash. I wanted Tate replaced but this guy is abysmal.
Marvin Lewis's clock management and piss pants approach to the two minute drill
My football pool. I am having a tough year. The Rams, Chargers, Bills and Lions screw me every week. 

Archived