2016/2017 Reds Offseason Thread

Jason

That's pretty impressive for Duvall. There were a lot of people who thought he would be the next Adam Dunn out in Left Field. 

Will be interesting to see what we do this off-season. I expect them to try and find some bullpen pieces and thats about it. The youth movement is about to sweep into plan. Brandon will either be shipped or benched. Not sure if they would move Votto, but the Blue Jays supposedly still very interested, although I just don't see them moving on from the best hitter in baseball. Talks about moving Disco if they can get the right amount of talent. R.A. Dickey was an interesting name I saw thrown out, but it would take a young arm out of the rotation.

It would be nice to see the young guys compete with the Pirates and take it to the Cards a little bit. I think WC in 2018 is the hope right now if the young guys moving up keep up their progress. I don't think the pitching staff will be sufficient to make a run this year.

• 2 months later...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/reds-trade-dan-straily-marlins.html

The Marlins and Reds have reportedly agreed to a trade that will send right-hander Dan Straily from the Cincinnati to Miami in exchange for right-handed pitching prospects Luis Castillo and Austin Brice as well as outfield prospect Isaiah White.

On 10/28/2016 at 7:34 AM, JC said:

Not sure if they would move Votto, but the Blue Jays supposedly still very interested, although I just don't see them moving on from the best hitter in baseball.

Er.. By what metric, salary? "Scowls per inning" maybe?  Not even Top 10 in Hits.. Yeah he takes a bunch of walks so his OBP is great but Jay Bruce drove in more runs last year. Votto was 30th.  Toronto can have him.

I'm aware you don't care for him but he hit .400 post all-star break and ended up second in the league in OPS. And you can't exactly drive in runs when you have a two guys with a .321 and .308 OBP in front of him. 

On 1/19/2017 at 7:31 PM, JC said:

I'm aware you don't care for him 

Guilty.

He's just so fucking grim, man! Are the Reds holding his family hostage somewhere?

His dour demeanor aside, best case? There's no reason for a team this far from contention to carry a salary like that.  He & Homer Bailey's busted arm are eating up half the damn payroll.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2017 at 2:30 PM, T-Dub said:

Guilty.

He's just so fucking grim, man! Are the Reds holding his family hostage somewhere?

His dour demeanor aside, best case? There's no reason for a team this far from contention to carry a salary like that.  He & Homer Bailey's busted arm are eating up half the damn payroll.

If Votto would get over himself and just try to have fun playing a kid's game for astronomical sums of money, there is no telling the numbers he could put up. When you're having fun I think you play better. He needs to loosen the fuck up and not take everything so seriously. Like maybe when a poor hapless fan(s) trying for a foul ball gets in his way. I mean I would never get in my own team's way of securing an out, but sometimes it's just a reaction. Well, that and most people are stupid. But, the fact that he made a point to go right back over and apologize to his last victim does show signs of progress.  But all in all, I'm over him and the Bailey experiment. Seems like it's every damn year now that Homer is hurt. Sometimes two major DL stints a year. So much wasted time and money. Just move on.

1 hour ago, 75North said:

If Votto would get over himself and just try to have fun playing a kid's game for astronomical sums of money, there is no telling the numbers he could put up. When you're having fun I think you play better. He needs to loosen the fuck up and not take everything so seriously. Like maybe when a poor hapless fan(s) trying for a foul ball gets in his way. I mean I would never get in my own team's way of securing an out, but sometimes it's just a reaction. Well, that and most people are stupid. But, the fact that he made a point to go right back over and apologize to his last victim does show signs of progress.  But all in all, I'm over him and the Bailey experiment. Seems like it's every damn year now that Homer is hurt. Sometimes two major DL stints a year. So much wasted time and money. Just move on.

Bailey was never worth that amount of money IMHO, healthy or not.

On 1/21/2017 at 2:30 PM, T-Dub said:

Guilty.

You know, outside of the whole Chicago ordeal, I don't think we are too far out from competing. It is going to depend largely on how some of the younger pitchers perform this year, but if they come around and in 2018 they bring up Senzel and he becomes what we all think he will, they could have a chance to win 85-90 games. The farm system has been stocked pretty full. Now its time to start getting those guys some burn. First thing they need to do is get rid of Cozart and Phillips to open up PT for Herrera and Peraza. Their #2 overall pick should and probably will be a college arm/bat that won't be far off either.

Homer's contract was so short-sighted. Just as not dealing Cueto, Chapman, or Frazier due to the ASG. Glad Walt is taking a backseat. Problem is that now we are bringing in guys like Arroyo and taking more innings from these young guys.

Giving Phillips a no-trade option was a bad move, too. That's something else a mid-market club simply can't afford. I'm with you as far as playing the young guys but I'd also expect that could mean another season struggling for a .500 record.  Maybe not but it's the risk you take with rookies. If we're going to watch them lose I'd rather it be a team with some upside but I'm not sure ownership has the patience for it.

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Giving Phillips a no-trade option was a bad move, too. That's something else a mid-market club simply can't afford. I'm with you as far as playing the young guys but I'd also expect that could mean another season struggling for a .500 record.  Maybe not but it's the risk you take with rookies. If we're going to watch them lose I'd rather it be a team with some upside but I'm not sure ownership has the patience for it.

I'm hoping that Phillips comes around before the season starts and accepts a trade. Stop being a diva and realize what you have sitting in front of you, if it's even still there. A chance to go to ATL? I mean, at this point in his career why wouldn't he want to be in his home town? Here's hoping. 

Just like with the Bengals, I am willing to eat some wins to let the young guys play. If nothing else, it gives fans reason to really get behind the team and be excited about the future. Well, unless of course it backfires and all the young guys end up as garbage, but I don't see that happening. My fingers are crossed with Phillips.

Oh boy...

Bailey out 4-6 weeks after right elbow surgery

Pitcher had arthroscopic procedure to remove bone spurs

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com | @m_sheldon | 5:09 PM ET 

+
 96 COMMENTS

CINCINNATI -- The Reds' hopes to have pitcher Homer Bailey's arm troubles behind him for good took a downturn. Bailey had arthroscopic surgery on Wednesday to remove small bone spurs from his right elbow, the club revealed.

The surgery was performed in New York by Dr. David Altchek.

Bailey experienced discomfort while increasing his throwing workload as he prepared for Spring Training. Exams indicated that the ulnar collateral ligament and flexor mass tendon are healthy. Bailey had previously had surgery in both areas, but his offseason throwing program had been going well in Texas, making this latest setback somewhat surprising.

"The discomfort was very recent," Reds general manager Dick Williams said. "We got it looked at very quickly, and this was diagnosed. We acted as quickly as we could."

The Reds expect Bailey to resume throwing in 4-6 weeks. He is likely to begin the season on the disabled list.

Bailey, 30, returned July 31 after missing 15 months because of Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. In six starts, he was 2-3 with a 6.65 ERA before he was shut down again with right biceps tenderness.

Since going on the DL with his flexor mass tendon tear in August 2014, Bailey has been limited to eight starts. He is entering the fourth year of a six-year, $105 million contract, and he has $68 million remaining on the pact.

Without Bailey in the rotation, another spot opens up in what should be a deep competition. Among starters expected to compete for spots are prospects Robert Stephenson, Cody Reed and Amir Garrett, along with Tim Adleman and non-roster invitee Bronson Arroyo, who is also trying to come back from two years out due to arm injuries.

Williams wasn't planning on adding another pitcher to the mix. It's possible that Bailey won't miss too much of the season, but the GM wasn't ready to determine when he could return to pitching in games.

"We won't do a knee-jerk signing as a result of this," Williams said. "I'd hate to speculate this soon. We haven't even drawn out his rehab schedule yet. It's a little early to know."

Mark Sheldon has covered the Reds for MLB.com since 2006, and previously covered the Twins from 2001-05. Follow him on Twitter @m_sheldon and Facebook and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/215501890/reds-homer-bailey-has-right-elbow-surgery/

11 hours ago, BengalRep85-9 said:

The Bailey deal is the worst contract in the history of this organization.

They've paid him roughly $40M for 8 starts. $5M a start!

I'm not sure why they threw ace money at an up & down pitcher with a 4.2 ERA in the first place.

I have a feeling Bailey is going to continue "experiencing discomfort" in his throwing arm doing anything Reds-related other than endorsing checks.

55 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'm not sure why they threw ace money at an up & down pitcher with a 4.2 ERA in the first place.

I have a feeling Bailey is going to continue "experiencing discomfort" in his throwing arm doing anything Reds-related other than endorsing checks.

They threw all that money at him because of his two no-hitters, I'd bet...which, of course, mean absolutely nothing if you can't stay in the rotation for more than a couple starts at a time.

9 hours ago, JC said:

Don't believe they had to pick up any of Bruce's salary. They won that trade by a mile if they can actually get Dilson in the gd lineup.

Yep, my mistake - no dead money AFAIK.

If it comes down to it I hope they're willing to bench BP.  Hate to see it but you can't let one guy derail the entire roster.

Archived