NFL Schedule Change? (random thoughts)

Lots of attention, player complaining, rest concerns, "player safety" concerns surrounding all of the MNF/TNF/SNF games.

i know they want to ditch some preseason games.i would love to ditch 2 preseason games, and add 1 regular season game.

then id like to get to 2-4 bye weeks.. and making it a 19-21 week season.

you should be able to assert bye weeks appropriately before thursday night games giving you 11 days before and 10 days after for reset. like they try to line up byes for the london games due to the travel. I like the every team plays TNF, and i love the color rush aspect of it. its meaningless but ads a fun fan factor, my kids love the jerseys, i love the jerseys, even if the teams suck its a change, a novelty. 

helps teams stay healthier, makes the season longer which increases revenue, more games(1-2 if you got 17 or 18 regular season games) going 18 games would give you 4 strength games instead of two, seemingly evening out the schedule strength a little more. 

it gives opportunity to replace players mid season, like post bye week QB changes for teams with young draft picks QBs like Goff, etc, give them 2 weeks inserted into the offense which is an opportunity lost if you have a week 4-5 bye, if there are 2-3 bye weeks thats easier and might yield some better success. 

If you want to add the games early in the season you can play only 4pm/6pm/8pm games to help avoid heat, or add them at the end and have more snow/ice/rain/weather crazy games. which i think the later would be most entertaining.

thoughts? other ideas? i like the idea of 17 reg season games so you cant be .500 either winning or losing seasons. Also add a second overtime, sudden death. to help avoid ties.

I'm all for eliminating two preseason games, but not if it means more regular season games.  The season is long enough as it is, but the worst part of adding games is that it destroys the symmetry of the schedule.  Four sets of four games on the schedule, which provides for four "checkpoints" in the season and makes it easy to project what pace a team is on that far into the season.  Furthermore, a schedule expansion means every season record set in the past nearly 40 years becomes skewed by a longer season.

This is the same reason I'm against expansion. Four sets of four teams in each conference is symmetrical and equitable.

Extend training camp for conditioning and prep and eliminate a couple of preseason games, add a regular season game in place of one of the eliminated preseason game and extend the cut down dates into the regular season.  The final roster will be set by the third game.  This will eliminate a couple of useless games that could lead to the injury of a key player, add a regular season game and give the younger players a longer look-see especially in real games where it counts and they can really show their stuff.

How about canning Thursday and Sunday night games in favor of a couple games every week in England.  I did not mind the Bengals being the home team in England because one fewer ticket to buy on my season ticket pack.  This way there would be three games on Sunday so either binge all day or pick and choose which to watch and do away with the fluff night games.  Don't want the regular season going any longer than it does.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Maybe the Cleveland Browns could play their entire season on Thursday nights since no one watches them, anyway.

That would only work though if they were playing with themselves (something their fans could certainly relate to).  :049:

5 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

I'm all for eliminating two preseason games, but not if it means more regular season games.  The season is long enough as it is, but the worst part of adding games is that it destroys the symmetry of the schedule.  Four sets of four games on the schedule, which provides for four "checkpoints" in the season and makes it easy to project what pace a team is on that far into the season.  Furthermore, a schedule expansion means every season record set in the past nearly 40 years becomes skewed by a longer season.

This is the same reason I'm against expansion. Four sets of four teams in each conference is symmetrical and equitable.

i was thinking about the stats aspect, but thats all happened before, as well as rule changes, etc. i think they should make all passes behind the LOS count as rushing yards, passes should only be positive yards in the air. the fact that QBs can literally drop the ball into the hand of a rb crossing them and it be a pass is stupid. 

i think that might help even out some pay scale issues in a SMALL way. if RB and WR boosted stats by 200-400 yards a year, and QBs passing yards dropped 500 yards a year, it helps stop QBs getting paid 10% of the entire cap while doing minimal skilled plays....

also think they should find a way to encourage more 2 pt conversions, the longer XP was supposed to do that but 41/83 conversion rate on 2 pt conversions isnt much of a selling point...

give option of 50 yard FG for 2 points? surprised teams dont go for two more.. and that the success rate is so low... should make end zones 15 yards deep.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Extend training camp for conditioning and prep and eliminate a couple of preseason games, add a regular season game in place of one of the eliminated preseason game and extend the cut down dates into the regular season.  The final roster will be set by the third game.  This will eliminate a couple of useless games that could lead to the injury of a key player, add a regular season game and give the younger players a longer look-see especially in real games where it counts and they can really show their stuff.

How about canning Thursday and Sunday night games in favor of a couple games every week in England.  I did not mind the Bengals being the home team in England because one fewer ticket to buy on my season ticket pack.  This way there would be three games on Sunday so either binge all day or pick and choose which to watch and do away with the fluff night games.  Don't want the regular season going any longer than it does.

right now they are selling 4 years season tickets in england, 4 years 4 games per year see every NFL team play live... probably about as much nfl as england is willing to buy i would think... interested to see how that grows... getting a decent amount of fans traveling there, which would drop if your team did it every other year or so...

4 hours ago, Tigers Johnson said:

Get rid of Thursday night football game... it dilutes the schedule and it's a pain in the ass for a home game if you have to work the next day...

oh... and player safety.... see I just gave it as much thought as the NFL does...

players are all for it when it comes down to money, they bitch about it schedule wise, but the revenue averages about 40-60k per player in added cap money. when drew brees was asked about it, he said "its one game, one week a year, not really that big of a deal" which is why i thought the extra bye would be useful for that scheduling abortion.

so you want to eliminate all prime time games? SNF is a work night?, MNF is a work night? at least TNF the work day is friday...

and the "late night" problem with it all is an east coast problem, over at 11-11:30 there, 10-10:30 in central, 9:30 here, and 8:30 on west coast. so 50/50 on the country being late or not really that late.

PS: ncaa games starting at 10am here sucks.. way too early..

The league is certainly diluting its product with the Sunday night and Thursday night games, and also the bye week.  It's profitable in the short term, but I think it's going to hurt in the long-term, if it's not already.  You've got to keep customers wanting more, to promote a sense of scarcity, and they're not even trying to do that these days.  I think the public will burn out eventually, and extending the schedule in any form means even less scarcity.

As for the extra point, I guess I'm a hypocrite.  I was in favor of making the kick more challenging and less automatic (and still am), but now I bitch about Nugent missing so many.  In my defense, though, he's missing an absurd number of them.

44 minutes ago, Bleeds Orange said:

The league is certainly diluting its product with the Sunday night and Thursday night games, and also the bye week.  It's profitable in the short term, but I think it's going to hurt in the long-term, if it's not already.  You've got to keep customers wanting more, to promote a sense of scarcity, and they're not even trying to do that these days.  I think the public will burn out eventually, and extending the schedule in any form means even less scarcity.

As for the extra point, I guess I'm a hypocrite.  I was in favor of making the kick more challenging and less automatic (and still am), but now I bitch about Nugent missing so many.  In my defense, though, he's missing an absurd number of them.

agree on the lack of yearning for nfl football, but i think when TNF was only 4-6 games a year it was better, every week, i got kids practice on thursdays, 7:30-9, game starts at 6:30 here. so im gone 7-9:30 which is basically the whole game, so i never ever watch TNF unless the bengals are on, i had a wedding in cali when the bengals played miami, went a day early to not be traveling during the game and watched it in a bar in LA. 

but weekday games are tough, i didnt watch MNF last night either, if i do watch its in the background while i do other things. i think a large part of this is my lack of hype for football in recent years, i find my favorite team predictable and the seasons outcome to have a success range maxing out below my expectations so i have very little to root for or hope for. I find having a bad team more enjoyable than a predictable one, as i love the youth/development of players enjoyable. but none of that has to do with the topic here..

lots of radio folks on espn and local radio have spent a lot of time talking about the boring product, the nfl changed rules to favor passers and offense because people want to see that, stretching the field throwing deep etc is exciting football, and they discuss how most teams have taken advantage of the rules by being conservative instead of being more aggressive, they can get pass interference calls on short passes, they can be conservative and barely win instead of trying to score 40. and everyone agrees its boring to watch. its very successful as far as wins go, its a winning strategy, but its a boring entertainment product. i think that has a lot more to do with ratings drops than anything else. 

the 2000-2005 draft range produced the most exciting long ball QB's the nfl has ever seen, in the top passing yards in nfl history youll find them all, and most are still playing. Brees, Brady, Rivers, Manning, Big bben, Palmer, Rodgers, and you has Peyton manning and favre both played much of their careers in that era as well. it was bombs away football, it was fun, it was exciting, and that is what grew the nfl to the powerhouse that is is...

19 hours ago, GoBengals said:

players are all for it when it comes down to money, they bitch about it schedule wise, but the revenue averages about 40-60k per player in added cap money. when drew brees was asked about it, he said "its one game, one week a year, not really that big of a deal" which is why i thought the extra bye would be useful for that scheduling abortion.

so you want to eliminate all prime time games? SNF is a work night?, MNF is a work night? at least TNF the work day is friday...

and the "late night" problem with it all is an east coast problem, over at 11-11:30 there, 10-10:30 in central, 9:30 here, and 8:30 on west coast. so 50/50 on the country being late or not really that late.

PS: ncaa games starting at 10am here sucks.. way too early..

Not all... they all are a pain in the ass but having NFL on Thursday...Sunday....Sunday Night, Monday night... college football on Thursday night and Saturday... sometimes Friday...

they have diluted the market.... it use to be special if a football game was on no matter who was playing. Now it's just another game..

Thursday would be the easiest solution to get rid of..... the short week.... quality of matchups usually sucks... quality of play is substandard from the short week. 

Archived