Time for Phillips to take a seat and let the youngins play?

75North

Via Mo Egger's blog:

2) Brandon Phillips. From P-Doc, on BP today....

This is a testy situation. I’ve been told that he has been told his role will be reduced this year, perhaps significantly. The Reds have Herrera and Peraza and they want to play them. Phillips wanted his deal redone last year before he accepted a trade to DC. That didn’t happen....

....The Reds have made it plain for two offseasons at least that he’s not in their plans. You might think that’s harsh for a guy who’s spent his entire big-league career here, and been one of the better community guys. And it is. It’s also business. The Club has been good to Phillips. He could do them and himself a favor and OK a deal this year. Otherwise, this doesn’t look to be a mutually pleasant summer for either side.

Testy. Awkward. Uncomfortable.  Those words have been used often to describe what's ahead this coming season for BP and the Reds, and I get why.

But this is on the Reds to do what best serves their interests, no matter who unpleasant it may be.  Good leaders make tough decisions independent of the feelings they hurt and who does or doesn't like it.  Dick Williams and Bryan Price are in roles that demand that they don't allow the past to impede future plans.

Brandon exercised his well-earned right to veto a trade last winter, which is fine. He doesn't owe the Reds a damn thing.

But the Reds don't owe him anything either.

http:// http://espn1530.iheart.com/onair/mo-egger-9170/three-things-bp-mccarron-and-the-15364495/#ixzz4SAfixJDd

I have 0 idea why he veto'd that trade last year. I understand trying to get some more money, but why would he want to sit around on a shitty club when he could instead be playing for a WS contender. Too bad he called the team's bluff and took Peraza's playing time anyways. Absolutely NO reason Herrera and Peraza aren't starting opening day for this team. If they want to contend in 2018, they need to get those two seasoned.

9 hours ago, CincyInDC said:

Entire big league career?

brandon_phillips_0_1460026509.jpg

Yeah he had almost 500 ABs over 4 seasons in CLE, with nearly 400 of those coming in 2003, when he played in 112 games...but other than that, he really didn't have a career until Cincy.  

On 12/8/2016 at 10:24 AM, Jamie_B said:

He's my favorite Red but this team is so far away from competing that if we can trade him and get something for it I'm ok with it sadly.

Same here. I will remain to root for him no matter what team he goes to.

• 4 weeks later...

Philips blocks yet another trade

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/report-brandon-phillips-vetoed-trade-for-second-straight-offseason/

I think at this point he's just being a dick. 3 times in 2 seasons he's done this now. This time he has a chance to possibly finish out his career in his hometown but blocks it so he can continue to jam things up for the young guys? I bet the Reds pay a backup 14 mil this season because there is no way Peraza doesn't start somewhere this year and 2B is where they want him. Don't get me wrong, Philips had a decent year last year but the writing is all over the damn wall: the team is ready to play the youngsters and they have earned it. Time to move on. If you like Cincy that much then keep your place and come visit when you can.

8 minutes ago, JC said:

Seems like he's forcing their hand to release him. They know he will be a disruption if he stays and they know they can't keep blocking Peraza. He's being a real cocksucker.

No matter which scenario plays out, the team is still on the hook for that 14 mil. If he stays, obviously he gets paid. If you trade him, no team in their right mind will take on that money and if you release him you still owe him. So they might as well put him on the bench and at least have the best backup 2B in baseball. Then if he becomes cancerous, cut him. No harm no foul.

I'm guessing he becomes cancerous. The speculation I've seen from some different places are that Brandon is upset with the organization because he feels like he was lied to about how much money they had and then gave a couple of large contracts. Now it sounds like he wants a bigger cut. Seems to make sense since he is trying to stick it to us by forcing our hand to cut him, pay him, and let him go to Atlanta/Washington without getting compensation. 

More from Doc:

BRANDON PHILLIPS is choosing to be unhappy. At least that’s how it looks. In the past two offseasons, the Reds have tried to trade him to a contender (DC) and his hometown (Atlanta) yet he has rejected each. Instead, he remains in Cincinnati, where the Reds have made it obvious he’s not wanted or especially needed.

This isn’t awful. It’s business. Phillips replaced an aging player, too, when he arrived in 2006. (That’d be Rich Aurilia, kids.)

DDBP nixed the deal that would have sent him to DC and Dusty Baker because the Nationals wouldn’t extend his contract. He said sorry to the Braves deal because, apparently, the Reds didn’t consult him first. OK, but to quote my mother the estimable Elsye Daugherty, “That’s like cutting off your nose to spite your face.’’

At this point, it’s not even much of a money issue. He’s owed $14 mil this year, some of which the Reds would have to swallow if they dealt him. It’s a moving-on issue. Everyone these days not named Barry Larkin (and perhaps Joey Votto) has to move on from GASP.

The Club says it has made it clear to Phillips that he will not be an everyday player. (Even though at the moment he’s the best 2B they have, until further notice.) Why hang around here and brood, when you could play close to home? Phillips apparently has said he’d like to play in ATL. So, ditch a little pride and allow it.

Frequent perusers of This Space know of my affection for DDBP. He remains a fan favorite. He batted all over the lineup. He changed his hitting approach to fit the team’s needs, when asked. He has played hurt, sometimes when we didn’t know about it. He had a spark and a flair. Perhaps only Joe Morgan will be remembered more fondly as a Reds 2B. Phillips was the best defensive player, at any position, I’d ever seen.

But he’s eight or nine toes out of his career now. Time to come to terms with what’s going on.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/blogs/daugherty-blog/2017/01/12/morning-line-112/96483888/

So let me get this straight...he wanted to go to ATL but vetoed the trade because the team didn't ask him first? Such a little diva. SMH 

He's trying to dick us over because he has the upper-hand and probably because he doesn't like Joey. Still can't believe that core couldn't make a least a little bit of noise in the post-season.

8 hours ago, JC said:

He's trying to dick us over because he has the upper-hand and probably because he doesn't like Joey. Still can't believe that core couldn't make a least a little bit of noise in the post-season.

I'm obviously on the outside looking in but I get the strong impression even Joey doesn't like Joey.  Dude seems like a total wet blanket. 

Archived