Is Andrew Whitworth a Hall of Famer?

Arguably the best OT in his era. Yes better than Joe Thomas. Year in and year out hes rated in the top 3 by PFF for OTs. No idea why he continues to be overlooked. Joe Thomas will likely be a first ballot HoF, so why wouldnt Whitworth be in the discussion as well for HoF. Do you see Whitworth in the Hall of Fame someday?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Maybe. Like T-Dub said, I have a feeling that positions like LT are graded out by HOF voters more on name recognition associated with a winning team/good QB instead of o-lineman metrics that they could use. Same can be said for why he never makes as many Pro Bowls as he should for probably the same reasons.

I think Whit is certainly worthy of consideration if you look at his overall body of work from a statistical standpoint.

5 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

Given that Hall of Famers Ken Anderson and Ken Riley are not in the Hall of Fame, then no, he won't be in the Hall of Fame.  Too bad he didn't wear a sticker on only one side of his helmet throughout his career, or perhaps a blue star.

Add Isaac Curtis.  When I think of Pittsburgh pussies like Ms. Lynn Swan (I dated a girl named Lynn) and John Stalworth in the Hall of Fame and not Isaac, its like Joan Baez and Pete Seeger being in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and not Jan and Dean, The B-52's, The Zombies and The New York Dolls (Stranded in the Jungle should be the board theme song).

Too many posers in the Hall of Fame.  No Ickey Woods, no vote.

5 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Add Isaac Curtis.  When I think of Pittsburgh pussies like Ms. Lynn Swan (I dated a girl named Lynn) and John Stalworth in the Hall of Fame and not Isaac, its like Joan Baez and Pete Seeger being in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and not Jan and Dean, The B-52's, The Zombies and The New York Dolls (Stranded in the Jungle should be the board theme song).

+1 for Zombies and Dolls.

7 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Donna Summer is in the RR Hall of Fame, The Moody Blues are not.

Joe Namath, who only won 2 playoff games his entire career and barely completed 50% of his passes is in, Ken Anderson is not.

Probably not. If you have stripes on your helmet it seems twice as difficult to get in. I would compare Whitworth to big Willie, both arguably top 3 at their spot for majority of their careers but screwed out of pro bowl births and not much notoriety because they played in Cincinnati. Ken Anderson hasn't even come close and has to wait for the senior comitee to even have a shot. He was up there with the best of em in his era. Munoz was just so good there was nothing that was gonna keep him out. It's a shame because there's an argument for a few Bengals that can be made if they should be in or not. Willie and Ken Anderson, Riley, Curtis,Whit even C. Johnson was arguably the best or one of top 3 at his position for a good 4 or 5 year stretch leading AFC in rec yards every one of those years but he wont get close which is a shame. He will be looked back on as a dickhead but he's genuinely a good guy. The winning part of it is so dumb in a game like football that relies on so many other players and coaches on your team especially pre free agent days when you were stuck there. You could be the best player by a mile in history with the worst coaches and or teammates and never win a thing but still not even sniff the hall by no fault of your own. Then there's the hipocrisy of longevity where it matters for some but not others like Gale Sayers or Terrell Davis.

20 minutes ago, Hooky said:

No Johnny Thunders, no vote.

Reminds me if you guys have never watched that show Vinyl on HBO you should check it out. It's pretty good sucks they ordered a 2nd season of it then canceled it. Was written by Scorcese and if you didn't know it's loosely based on a certain label and producer from those days I can't remember which one but there's some New York Dolls stuff in there even starts the very 1st episode out at a Dolls concert if I remember correctly. Has some old Stones Mick Jagger was involved with show producer or something and his son played a pretty prominent role in it as lead singer of a band called the Naughty Bits. If you haven't seen it should check it out when you get a chance. Has pretty good cast well written definitely worth a watch especially if into the music from those days. I enjoyed it alot and was disappointed it got cancelled

7 minutes ago, StripesEarned said:

Reminds me if you guys have never watched that show Vinyl on HBO you should check it out. It's pretty good sucks they ordered a 2nd season of it then canceled it. Was written by Scorcese and if you didn't know it's loosely based on a certain label and producer from those days I can't remember which one but there's some New York Dolls stuff in there even starts the very 1st episode out at a Dolls concert if I remember correctly. Has some old Stones Mick Jagger was involved with show producer or something and his son played a pretty prominent role in it as lead singer of a band called the Naughty Bits. If you haven't seen it should check it out when you get a chance. Has pretty good cast well written definitely worth a watch especially if into the music from those days. I enjoyed it alot and was disappointed it got cancelled

I liked it a lot, too.  Gyp Rosetti as a record mogul.  Loved it when he punched Andy Warhol.  Also REALLY loved the Andy Warhol girls.  Andrew Dice Clay played an unrecognizable slob shady record producer.  the meeting with a washed up brain numb Elvis was classic.  The Bowie impersonator was worth the price of the show as was guy who did the short Bo Diddly clip.  And liked how it showed John Lennon was really a douche and having an open affair with May Pang (with Yoko's approval).

Yeah, surprised and disappointed when it was cancelled although I could see where it had nowhere to go.  Too bad HBO didn't cancel Westworld after the second episode. Overblown Kool Aid for the hipster know it alls.

On 12/22/2016 at 1:23 PM, Hooky said:

+1 for Zombies and Dolls.

Never understood the NY Dolls thing.  They seem like junkies that could barely stand up, let alone play.  I thought they were mostly famous for cross-dressing.  I know they're supposed to be hugely influential and I guess you have to take all those other bands say-so on that, but to me they were just kind of.. meh. Outrageous for the time but just not a very good band.  I'll take The Stooges over the Dolls any day.  Or The Sonics if you want to talk about influential.

10 hours ago, StripesEarned said:

Probably not. If you have stripes on your helmet it seems twice as difficult to get in. I would compare Whitworth to big Willie, both arguably top 3 at their spot for majority of their careers but screwed out of pro bowl births and not much notoriety because they played in Cincinnati. Ken Anderson hasn't even come close and has to wait for the senior comitee to even have a shot. He was up there with the best of em in his era. Munoz was just so good there was nothing that was gonna keep him out. It's a shame because there's an argument for a few Bengals that can be made if they should be in or not. Willie and Ken Anderson, Riley, Curtis,Whit even C. Johnson was arguably the best or one of top 3 at his position for a good 4 or 5 year stretch leading AFC in rec yards every one of those years but he wont get close which is a shame. He will be looked back on as a dickhead but he's genuinely a good guy. The winning part of it is so dumb in a game like football that relies on so many other players and coaches on your team especially pre free agent days when you were stuck there. You could be the best player by a mile in history with the worst coaches and or teammates and never win a thing but still not even sniff the hall by no fault of your own. Then there's the hipocrisy of longevity where it matters for some but not others like Gale Sayers or Terrell Davis.

The Pro Football HOF seems to emphasize team success much more than the others, certainly more than the Baseball Hall.  I never liked the term Hall of "Fame", anyway.  There are several ways to achieve "fame", and not all of them involve sheer talent or accomplishments on the field.

Archived