UPDATE: Marvin Lewis Should Have Been Fired Upon End Of Disappointing Season

19 hours ago, 75North said:

Ugh. You're still not getting what I'm saying. If he had a shred a of integrity he would man up and step aside as coach. He knows that he is not getting it done. Whether it's because of a money grab or his unwillingness to give up trying to win a single playoff game, he has no business even trying to retain his current position past next season. Either way he is being selfish. He is doing what is best for him and his buddies' wallets and not the organization...and ultimately that is his #1 priority as HC.  He is worthy of a job elsewhere, no doubt. Definitely evaluating talent(which I wonder about lately) in the FO somewhere, but he simply is not fit to hold his current position. I can't believe we are still arguing this fact. 

Are you number one in the word at your profession?  If not then when are you tendering your resignation.  You do have integrity don't you?

6 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Are you number one in the word at your profession?  If not then when are you tendering your resignation.  You do have integrity don't you?

Of course I'm not the best in the world at my job but we are not talking about my job, and I don't have have thousands of people who are emotionally invested in the amount of linear footage I build each day...BUT, if I totally failed at my goals on a very consistent basis and continually let everyone down year after year I wouldn't be able to look my co-workers in the eye. I would absolutely step aside and let someone else give it a go.

Remember guys, we are talking about the head coach of our favorite football team who cannot, after many years and failed attempts, reach the ultimate goal of his profession...and that is what?....WINNING A SUPER BOWL.  Which will never happen unless his team WINS A PLAYOFF GAME. This is what this whole thing is about; the ineptitude of our favorite NFL team's HEAD COACH. Not how great each of us FANS are at our normal day to day jobs. It's really hard to compare the two. Different quotas and goals and overall dynamic with the boss man, not to mention those pesky football fans who pay the salaries. IDK, I just can't explain it any more than I already have. Like I said already to Mr. Kenneth, if you don't get what I'm saying then you just don't get it. I'll be okay.

There, I'm done. 

After seeing that chart, a greater example of playoff futility, to me anyway, is that of Allie Sherman. 

He lost his three straight Playoff games with the NY Giants between 1961-1963. And the Playoffs then, such as they were, was the NFL Championship Game--that's it. So,he gets his team to the then version of the SB, and loses three straight. Should have been fired, right?

No, he coached them for 5 more seasons--and never got them over .500 in a season thereafter.

And his QB, Y.A. Tittle, never won a playoff game either. However he is enshrined at Canton. There wasn't any AJ McCarron evidently back then to "push" him.

8 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

After seeing that chart, a greater example of playoff futility, to me anyway, is that of Allie Sherman. 

He lost his three straight Playoff games with the NY Giants between 1961-1963. And the Playoffs then, such as they were, was the NFL Championship Game--that's it. So,he gets his team to the then version of the SB, and loses three straight. Should have been fired, right?

No, he coached them for 5 more seasons--and never got them over .500 in a season thereafter.

And his QB, Y.A. Tittle, never won a playoff game either. However he is enshrined at Canton. There wasn't any AJ McCarron evidently back then to "push" him.

As good as the Bills were back in the late 80s, I still can't believe Marv Levy never could win the big one after 4 tries. But at least they got there, I guess.

16 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Remember...this chart represents coaches that have been to the playoffs however many times and have NEVER won a single playoff game, at all. Marv Levy at least got the Bills to four straight Superbowls. I'd take that at this point.

8 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Understood. My Allie Sherman reference was in relation to a HC who had never won a playoff game. And his equally non-winning HOF QB

I feel kinda bad every time I post that chart. Marvelous Marvin is all by his lonesome way, WAY out there on the right. He's probably cold and hungry too.

Am I the only one sick of hearing the stupid meme about "2016 was a regression year due to the departure of several crucial free agents"? Gimme a break. Sanu and Jones weren't going to make or break this team with Eifert and Green not barely sharing the field this past season, not to mention none of those guys kicks FG's an XP's. Reggie Nelson was the biggest loss by a longshot.

10 hours ago, High School Harry said:

But he DID have a top 40 hit with "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah" (here I am, at Camp Grenada)

Alan Sherman was awesome. My dad had a couple of his albums when I was a kid. We wore them out. He was the original Weird Al.

On 1/30/2017 at 3:59 AM, Bunghole said:

Am I the only one sick of hearing the stupid meme about "2016 was a regression year due to the departure of several crucial free agents"? Gimme a break. Sanu and Jones weren't going to make or break this team with Eifert and Green not barely sharing the field this past season, not to mention none of those guys kicks FG's an XP's. Reggie Nelson was the biggest loss by a longshot.

The drop off at RT was a major reason we struggled.  Big Dre's level of play had declined, and I have no problem with the Bengals letting him walk after drafting OTs in the first two rounds, but the O-line would have been much more stable with him still at RT.

Atlanta fired their DC and DL coach.  That's what organizations with high expectations do.  Not saying that Atlanta is some perennial powerhouse.  Just saying that's the standard you are dealing with when it comes to many teams around the league not named the Cincinnati Bengals. 

13 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Atlanta fired their DC and DL coach.  That's what organizations with high expectations do.  Not saying that Atlanta is some perennial powerhouse.  Just saying that's the standard you are dealing with when it comes to many teams around the league not named the Cincinnati Bengals. 

:thumbsup:

Agreed, you see a lot of winning teams making changes like this each year. Teams that win 3 games aren't the only ones to make changes to their coaching staff.

I think the biggest thing that bothers me is a lot of fans arguments for not making coaching changes. I hear this one a lot, "it would be stupid to fire X or Y unless there's a proven upgrade available!"

Uhhhhh, no thanks, I'll not be having any part of that illogical argument. Every coach has to start somewhere. Every good NFL HC wasn't a good NFL HC before becoming a good NFL HC. Can you believe that? It's totally mindblowing, right? I'm soooo sick and tired of hearing the argument that we shouldn't replace Marvin, Alexander, or Zampese under the premise that there isn't a "better" coach available. It's a very silly concept. There are legitimate arguments to be made for these coaches, but that isn't one of them.

Sorry for the rant, but I've seen that back and forth so many times on message boards and it really grinds my gears.

6 hours ago, SouthPaw said:

They fired their DC midway through the season, they  just waited until the end to announce it.  Quinn  took over calling all of the defensive plays after the 7th or 8th game of the season.  But, hey, Bengals suck, right?

15 hours ago, kennethmw said:

They fired their DC midway through the season, they  just waited until the end to announce it.  Quinn  took over calling all of the defensive plays after the 7th or 8th game of the season.  But, hey, Bengals suck, right?

Let's be realistic. When do the Bengals fire coaches, assistants, or well...anybody?

The Bengals don't completely suck, everything they do isn't 100% incorrect, but it's a perfectly reasonable gripe that we have to expect more accountability in Cincinnati. Not every good organization runs around firing people left and right, but I don't think anyone is clamoring for that to happen here.

We have a head coach that has broken records of tenure without postseason success, we have assistants that have been here since what seems like the beginning of time, and we've seen some pretty damn lazy hires internally as of late. The Bengals give their staff more leeway than the average team, you aren't guaranteed to get fired if the position you're in charge of coaching has a couple below average years. It's just the way it works around here, it seems like the Bengals operate more like a family than a business. I don't believe it's one of the illegitimate things that fans tend to complain about, there are definitely arguments for hoping the team would be a bit more liberal with firing staff members.

Archived