UPDATE: Marvin Lewis Should Have Been Fired Upon End Of Disappointing Season

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

The fact that he just gets one year at a time with his extensions is a reason to believe that he does not have a guaranteed lifetime contract.

15 years as the head coach  without a playoff victory is a lifetime in the NFL.  No other NFL coach in history can claim such a dubious achievement.

27 minutes ago, SF2 said:

15 years as the head coach  without a playoff victory is a lifetime in the NFL.  No other NFL coach in history can claim such a dubious achievement.

That + the team woefully underperforming this season.  I think Marvin's a good, maybe even great coach.  He brought this franchise back from the dead. I also suspect he's taken the Bengals as far as he ever will.

Since we seem to be stuck with him, though? Maybe they can win the 11+ games it usually takes to secure a home game or 3 & actually make a run.

From what I've seen at games there are a whole bunch of season ticket holders who either resell them or go just to sit there with their arms crossed, muttering to themselves.  If you're mostly interested in complaining about something other than your own miserable life I suppose the team's record doesn't matter as much.  I mean it's their money, granted, but wtf..

Point being that until the team starts losing real money it's going to be no, more status quo.

37 minutes ago, SF2 said:

So?  That does not mean he can stay here as head coach as long as he wants.

Are you guaranteeing that he will get an extension this offseason?

17 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

So?  That does not mean he can stay here as head coach as long as he wants.

Are you guaranteeing that he will get an extension this offseason?

You didn't ask me but I see the team rebounding enough to go 8-8 or better and another extension unless he decides to retire to that hacienda in the desert.

23 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

You didn't ask me but I see the team rebounding enough to go 8-8 or better and another extension unless he decides to retire to that hacienda in the desert.

We wont rebound because the team got better though, we will rebound because the schedule is ALOT easier next year.

On 1/22/2017 at 11:41 AM, fredtoast said:

The fact that he just gets one year at a time with his extensions is a reason to believe that he does not have a guaranteed lifetime contract.

No, that he keeps having unsuccessful seasons and gets extended shows that he has a lifetime contract.

On 1/22/2017 at 2:10 PM, T-Dub said:

That + the team woefully underperforming this season.  I think Marvin's a good, maybe even great coach.  He brought this franchise back from the dead. I also suspect he's taken the Bengals as far as he ever will.

Since we seem to be stuck with him, though? Maybe they can win the 11+ games it usually takes to secure a home game or 3 & actually make a run.

From what I've seen at games there are a whole bunch of season ticket holders who either resell them or go just to sit there with their arms crossed, muttering to themselves.  If you're mostly interested in complaining about something other than your own miserable life I suppose the team's record doesn't matter as much.  I mean it's their money, granted, but wtf..

Point being that until the team starts losing real money it's going to be no, more status quo.

Really? I mean, he's not terrible by any stretch but the word "great" never enters my mind when I think about his legacy here. Owning the worst playoff record of any coach in NFL HISTORY isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of greatness. I think his tenure should have ended after the San Diego game, and it certainly should have been over after this season. He's had his turn, it's time for someone else. Who is better? I don't know.

3 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Really? I mean, he's not terrible by any stretch but the word "great" never enters my mind when I think about his legacy here. Owning the worst playoff record of any coach in NFL HISTORY isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of greatness.

Well, nobody in the organization has a playoff win.  AJ Green has lost how many playoff games now? Is he a great receiver?

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Well, nobody in the organization has a playoff win.  AJ Green has lost how many playoff games now? Is he a great receiver?

He is good, not great particularly in the playoffs.  1 total TD in 4 playoff games averaging 58 yards per is mehh, at best.

On 1/22/2017 at 2:10 PM, T-Dub said:

Yes, this team is better than the 90s bengals. Mission accomplished. Let's keep this "great" future hall of fame coach forever.

33 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Yes, this team is better than the 90s bengals. Mission accomplished. Let's keep this "great" future hall of fame coach forever.

Next time, try reading beyond the first 2-3 sentences.  That way you would've seen this -

I also suspect he's taken the Bengals as far as he ever will.

- and not been so triggered.

11 hours ago, big_dish said:

According to Lance's show- Marvin stated today that he is looking for an extension this offseason. Said all the coaches would feel a lot better then.

i shit you not.

You are correct, sir.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/25/marvin-lewis-says-an-extension-would-benefit-the-bengals-organization/

It's amazing Marvin can even walk around with balls that big. I will curse the football gods(more than I already have) if this happens.

This is starting to feel like a reoccurring nightmare. Fuck.  

11 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Next time, try reading beyond the first 2-3 sentences.  That way you would've seen this -

- and not been so triggered.

Touchy. I know your stance. I was just commenting on how his turning the franchise around, though other coaches could have and eventually had even more success, gives him carte blanche for the rest of his life. Dungy revived the bucs, but it took another coach to get them over the top. Would Dungy had eventually won it all there? Like Marvin, he's supposedly a great guy, but was way over-rated and wouldn't have won a Super Bowl without Manning.

11 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Just give him the lifetime contract already. I think Coach K has one. And they're on the same level. 

He essentially has one, doesn't he? I expect he'll be here until he retires, barring some kind of scandal & he hardly seems the scandal type.

12 hours ago, big_dish said:

According to Lance's show- Marvin stated today that he is looking for an extension this offseason. Said all the coaches would feel a lot better then.

i shit you not.

Marvin Lewis hopes to sign contract extension

• By Nick Shook NFL.com
  • Published: Jan. 25, 2017 at 06:52 p.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 25, 2017 at 07:29 p.m.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • For much of the last decade and a half in Cincinnati, three things have been constant: the sun rising and setting, winter coming and going, and Marvin Lewis remaining entrenched as the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals.

That's quietly been questioned in recent years, especially after yet another first-round exit from the playoffs at the end of the 2015 season, and a regression year in 2016 following the departure of several key free agents. The ceiling in the Lewis era seems to be Wild Card playoff berth and prompt end to the campaign.

That isn't stopping the coach from seeking more security, though.

Lewis went on to reiterate his desire to chase a championship in Cincinnati and feels well enough to do so. The bar has been lowered slightly by the down year, but from that season came a bit of encouragement, most notably the development of rookie wideout Tyler Boyd. Plus, the average person would take near-perennial contention and multiple playoff appearances. Ask fans of the Browns and Bengals what they'd give up in exchange for a playoff berth."We'd like to agree to something at some point," Lewis said about a desire to receive a contract extension, via the Cincinnati Enquirer. "It puts, I think, everybody's mind at ease going forward for their futures. A lot of the people in the building, it makes it easier on them."

But if the Bengals finish out of the playoffs, or sputter to another first-round exit, most on staff will be looking over their shoulders. That last line about folks in the building, then, makes much more sense, as does framing it as being about more than securing Lewis' own job. It's about keeping the culture in place, even if the culture hasn't produced a Lombardi Trophy.

But a team that found more ways to lose in 2016 than in past seasons (and didn't get help from injuries) needs a bounce-back season, which begins in finding a way to add another playmaker for Andy Dalton, solving the situation at kicker (which flew off the rails when Mike Nugent suddenly lost his accuracy), and bolstering a front seven that finished 21st in rushing yards allowed. Accomplish two of these tasks and it'll be reasonable to expect to contend for the AFC North in 2017. It'll also mean a raising of the bar and the increased pressure that comes with it, which will be easier to operate under if not a lame duck coach.

5 minutes ago, 75North said:

Again, the balls on that man.

download.jpeg

Yeah, but think of the coaching staff...they want to make sure they have security in their jobs.

Marvin Jr. wants to know that once daddy retires he will have a job, how can you expect them to give it their all this season without the security net and peace of mind that a contract extension affords them.

After all, they total earned with the season they had last year and the success of the past. Sure they haven't a won playoff game but, they're close and at the end of the day that's all that really matters..right? They try hard and if they fall short of the goal then it doesn't really matter because they put forth the effort and did their best! This is how most successful businesses are ran, results don't really matter as long as everyone tries their bestest, everyone wins. 

9 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Yeah, but think of the coaching staff...they want to make sure they have security in their jobs.

Marvin Jr. wants to know that once daddy retires he will have a job, how can you expect them to give it their all this season without the security net and peace of mind that a contract extension affords them.

After all, they total earned with the season they had last year and the success of the past. Sure they haven't a won playoff game but, they're close and at the end of the day that's all that really matters..right? They try hard and if they fall short of the goal then it doesn't really matter because they put forth the effort and did their best! This is how most successful businesses are ran, results don't really matter as long as everyone tries their bestest, everyone wins. 

Well hell. All this time we were chasing the wrong trophy.

91mllGxdwRL._AC_UL320_SR240,320_.jpg

How many of you walk in your job everyday, asking to have zero security?  How can you fault someone else for wanting it?  I realize most of you dislike him, but bitching about him asking for something you would be asking for if it was you is rather ludicrous.

11 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

How many of you walk in your job everyday, asking to have zero security?  How can you fault someone else for wanting it?  I realize most of you dislike him, but bitching about him asking for something you would be asking for if it was you is rather ludicrous.

It's not the same across the board. The goals and the tasks I have to complete to keep my job are wayyy different than that of an NFL coach. Can't compare it to anything else besides another coaching job, in my opinion. The ultimate goal of an NFL coach is to win a SB. He hasn't done it after a decade and a half with 7 tries. At this point, after one of his worst seasons, he wants to talk about an extension? That is a joke and flat out insulting to the fan base. He knows damned good and well he doesn't deserve one and this just shows he has zero integrity. Sickening.

After next season, he absolutely should be out of chances, barring at the very least a deep playoff run. I can't believe people actually are still defending him. It really is sad. It's like you all have Battered Wives' Syndrome or something. 

Change is good. Embrace it.

Archived