UPDATE: Marvin Lewis Should Have Been Fired Upon End Of Disappointing Season

5 hours ago, Olejatt said:

I am an advocate of Todd Haley if Marvin does get axed. He's deserving of a second chance and has built a damned good offense in Pittsburgh.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

Yea, let me be Big Bens OC and I'll do an even better job. When Ben went down how good of a job has he done? He sucked ass. No Thanks.

After further review...

I do not think Marvin will be fired.

I think if he leaves after this season he will retire or be given some position within the organization.  I hope not GM.  Per the staff directory, Pete and Paul Brown are directors of player personnel.  From what I have heard, Pete is pretty much a fool.  Maybe one or both will retire and Marv will step him there.  That position would be worthy of the salary and would have the High School Harry Seal of Approval.  I think he would do an excellent job with the scouting and working with prospects and players (particularly minority ones) while not having anything to do with the on-field operations.  He could take along his son, Coach Marcus, as an assistant.  Won't happen but whatever and sounds good to me.  

Since I have said nothing, if there is not a retirement or internal move, he will be back next year.  I simply cannot see MikeandKatie firing Marvin Lewis.

The next coach will be a surprise to all of us.  I can't think of once when it has not been.

14 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Why hasn't the owner just come out and said he'll be back? He usually always talks in December, correct? Why couldn't Marvin just say he'll be back?

Ownership usually comments after the season is over if I remember correctly.  Then again, if they felt like dispelling the rumors they could do so.

Marvin Lewis is aggressively respected and has worked for the team for 10+ years. He isn't going to clean out his office early and they are not going to fire him early or talk about it. I wouldn't surprise me at all if something is worked out. It also wouldn't surprise me at all if he is somehow a part of this team after a few years away. This is almost like a college coach who was a legend but it was time to hang it up situation. Like Lloyd Carr. He is good but isn't taking us to the next step and we need to try to sever ties amicably. Marvin is in the Bengals fabric forever. 

I'll just leave this here. Take it for what it is worth

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/02/26/marvin-lewis-dolphins-dc-vance-joseph-on-his-way-to-head-coach/

INDIANAPOLIS  If Vance Joseph had his way a year ago, he might be a Super Bowl champion defensive coordinator.

It’s impossible to say whether Denver would have won the Super Bowl with Joseph, and not Wade Phillips, leading the defense.

But that’s what the Broncos and Joseph wanted a year ago.

There was just one problem. Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis wasn’t ready to let Joseph free.

Joseph, who had spent just one season as the Bengals defensive backs coach, was a hot commodity after the 2014 season. He was interviewed by the Broncos for their head coaching job that ultimately went to Gary Kubiak.

Kubiak then tried hiring Joseph as his defensive coordinator, but the Bengals blocked the move.

This year, Lewis let Joseph out of his contract when new Dolphins coach Adam Gase came knocking.

“It’s part of coaching,” Lewis said Friday from the NFL scouting combine. “Everybody wants the security of a contract and sometimes it’s hard to have it both ways. But Vance was very professional throughout the process and understood and he got an opportunity.”

Lewis expected Joseph to eventually land a defensive coordinator position, but Joseph couldn’t know for sure if he’d have another opportunity to move up.

“I was confident he’d have the opportunity but you don’t know,” Lewis said. “And obviously he did. With success from people comes opportunity.

“My point to him always is when you have opportunity to make sure you’re going for the right opportunity, the right reason. Not all jobs are good jobs.”

So is leading the Dolphins defense a good job? Lewis seems to think so.

“I would expect them to be aggressive and play sound eight-man football, put the pressure on the outside guys,” Lewis said. “They’ve got some good guys up front and he’ll utilize them well.”

The Dolphins, like the Bengals, will run a 4-3 defense. But before he was with the Bengals, Joseph learned from 3-4 coaches.

Lewis said the transition for Joseph was smooth.

“Our principals are still a lot of 3-4 principals because they come out of my time in Pittsburgh and then later to our evolution to defense in Baltimore,” Lewis said.

Lewis said he received rave reviews about Joseph from cornerback Johnathan Joseph, who began his career in Cincinnati and played under Vance Joseph in Houston.

“Johnathan went there and Johnathan spoke so highly of him,” Lewis said. “I knew about Vance, people had told me about him, but Johnathan was the confirmation for him as a coach. And talking with Rick Smith and everybody that had ever worked with Vance, Mike Nolan and so forth, they just spoke so highly of him and his abilities.”

Lewis believes Joseph is on his way to becoming an NFL head coach.

“When you sit in staff meetings and in game plan meetings and his ability to interject and have an opinion on things — a well thought of and researched opinion — I think there’s no question in my mind that he has the ability to lead the room and lead men and get them pointed in the right direction and take those steps to be a head coach,” Lewis said.

Dolphins players weren’t always on board with former defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle, who is replacing Joseph as Cincinnati’s defensive backs coach.

But Lewis said Joseph has a good relationship with his players.

“He’s got a great wealth of football knowledge,” Lewis said. “And I think he’s got a great ability to communicate with the players and get it done.”

Straight from the horse's ass...

http://www.fox19.com/story/34142452/marvin-lewis-laughs-off-retirement-rumors

Marvin Lewis laughs off retirement rumors

Wednesday, December 28th 2016, 2:21 pm ESTWednesday, December 28th 2016, 2:39 pm ESTBy Jeremy Rauch, Sports Anchor

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) -

Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis addressed the rumors of his retirement on Wednesday by calling the report, “Unfortunate.”

The rumors stem from former Redskins player Chris Cooley who suggested on his radio show that Lewis has been slowly packing up his office. Cooley also stated that his sources in Cincinnati say Lewis will either retire or be asked to retire at the end of 2016.

“If you want to talk about the Ravens, let’s talk about that,” Lewis said in Wednesday’s press conference. “If you want to talk about the (retirement) thing, maybe you should talk to Chris Cooley or somebody else.”

ESPN has since reported that Lewis will return for the 2017 season, the final year of his contract.

“It’s unfortunate that you can have somebody (say) something like that,” Lewis continued in reference to Cooley’s comments. “That’s unfortunate.”

“You can’t look into every report, obviously,” Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton said. “If something came out yesterday, it’s already changed today. So, you can’t worry about all that stuff. It’s already been refuted.”

Marvin Lewis is coming to the end of his 14th season with the Bengals (5-9-1). This season is just his fourth losing season in 14 years and the first since 2010. Lewis , 0-7 in the playoffs, is the only NFL head coach in the Super Bowl era to remain with one team for 14 years without a playoff win.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

And there you have it. 

/end thread/

Something is still a bit off about this whole thing. I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it's just common sense punching me in the face, leaving me befuddled as to why both parties still would like to remain together (other than for small amounts of money).

Archived