UPDATE: Marvin Lewis Should Have Been Fired Upon End Of Disappointing Season

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Turning Point is the rarely seen message board "reverse troll".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uhh, sure, because my 5,550 posts mean I'm hardly here....

Sorry if my opinion differs than yours because I can see the bigger picture or I'm not your typical fan who wants to bring in the shiny new turd. I mean seriously people want Josh Mcdaniels?????? my god that guys was a disaster in Denver. Marvin Lewis is by far the best choice for next year and I think Zimmer and hue could be options for 2018, I'll patiently wait for them over the availible unknown commodity crap that is out there.

26 minutes ago, Bleeds Orange said:

The point that Lewis has (presumably) lost the support of many/most fans is significant, but even more significant is whether or not he has lost the full attention and respect of the players. If he has, he needs to go.

And he hasn't at all....so he needs to STAY.

4 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Nope, i would like to see a new offensive coordinator. Lewis a great coach, like i have said in many posts, he you give the team 15pts and they are a 9-5 team going into Sunday.

Dalton didn't have his #2,#3, and #4 targets from 2015 we all knew this would be a growing season for him and the offensive line. Oline ended up sucking and so the running game sucked and the passing game was missing to much power. 

This team is well prepared for next season to go on a big run, I'm really excited for it.

And that means Marvin for damn sure gets yet another extension.  The guy just don't get it.  The team takes him for granted and doesn't really respect him.  For example they are totally undisciplined.  "So I get penalties that cost us a playoff game against Pittsburgh and at home, no less.  Oh well, wonder what's new on Netflix?"

He has simply got to go.  The time is right to fire him (although that won't happen).  Send a message.  This "I'm not planning to retire" stuff comes out like pure, condescending arrogance.  He had his chance.  Chances.  Time to move along.

3 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Nope, i would like to see a new offensive coordinator. Lewis a great coach, like i have said in many posts, he you give the team 15pts and they are a 9-5 team going into Sunday.

Dalton didn't have his #2,#3, and #4 targets from 2015 we all knew this would be a growing season for him and the offensive line. Oline ended up sucking and so the running game sucked and the passing game was missing to much power. 

This team is well prepared for next season to go on a big run, I'm really excited for it.

Great coaches do not set playoff futility records. 

Let me pose a scenario for you.

If back in January, 2003 you were told that as of 2016 the Bengals would still not have another playoff win, would you consider their coaching search to be a success or a failure?

I have to be honest with you, if I was told by a soothsayer that 14 years later, the Bengals would still not be able to win a game in the playoffs, I would have probably not have paid much attention over that span. This is not true progress. He helped make this team an NFL franchise again. I congratulate him. But success in professional sports is determined by winning when it matters most. He has been unprecedentedly bad at that. 

1 hour ago, SocalBengalEd said:

14 years later still zero playoff wins.    Ugh. 

Very much so.  But what gets me even bad or worse is the regular season games we lose that we should have won.  And look foolish doing it.  Those are Marv games as much as the much more visible playoff shit the bed games.

6 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Sorry if my opinion differs than yours because I can see the bigger picture or I'm not your typical fan who wants to bring in the shiny new turd. I mean seriously people want Josh Mcdaniels?????? my god that guys was a disaster in Denver. Marvin Lewis is by far the best choice for next year and I think Zimmer and hue could be options for 2018, I'll patiently wait for them over the availible unknown commodity crap that is out there.

Well Said, my friend.  Most of these " fans" have zero understanding of what truly occurs in a setting that requires team work and team building.

6 hours ago, turningpoint said:

How has that "never take a risk" thing worked out for you?

I know it never works for Marvin on Sundays and hasn't worked out for this organization over the last few decades. 

I'l take your advice. I'l store up on the canned goods, practice drinking my own urine and never speak to a stranger again for as long as I live. Too much risk in this world. 

Marvin is the guy to lead us to the promised land!!!! SAVE YOUR CONFEDERATE MONEY, THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!

1 hour ago, Madieu Superstar said:

How has that "never take a risk" thing worked out for you?

I know it never works for Marvin on Sundays and hasn't worked out for this organization over the last few decades. 

I'l take your advice. I'l store up on the canned goods, practice drinking my own urine and never speak to a stranger again for as long as I live. Too much risk in this world. 

Marvin is the guy to lead us to the promised land!!!! SAVE YOUR CONFEDERATE MONEY, THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!

So you are saying I should get rid of those Confederate dollars?

5 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

So you are saying I should get rid of those Confederate dollars?

They are worth some bucks on the collectable market but you should burn them because they are racist.

P.S.  The contract for the final final final (counting extensions) year should also be burned because it and he are more worthless than Confederate money at face value.  As the contract is burned, Marvin should also be fired.  2017 showing a pulse = another extension for Mediocre Marv, Clueless Lewis.  His ego has now become bigger than the team, organization and fan base.  THAT has become the problem.  He has GOT to go.

9 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I'd say the people on the board who go to work everyday have a very sound understanding of just how important results are in business. 

Really?  What do you manage?  Who do you lead?  Or are you just a grunt, putting in time?

11 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Well Said, my friend.  Most of these " fans" have zero understanding of what truly occurs in a setting that requires team work and team building.

Although there is some merit in what you have said, there is also some bullshit in there as well.

I know what teamwork and team building is, and how you have to have it in order to build and then maintain business success. I've personally been building teams, promoting teamwork, and producing good business results since 1983. The difference in this business model that is the Cincinnati Bengals is the owner.

Mike Brown has set Marvin Lewis on a pedestal because he brought us back from obscurity and made us relevant on the NFL scene, but most importantly Lewis has caused revenue to jump and continue to stream in.

In any other business setting in the WORLD, Lewis would've been let go years before now, because he has never reached the ultimate NFL business goal... winning a Super Bowl.

While many people have often stated that Mike Brown really does want to win a Super Bowl, his actions speak differently. The way I see this situation is as follows;

1. Brown does want to win a Super Bowl but isn't smart enough to hire the best coach/coaches/personnel and doesn't want to spend the money required to take this team to the top.

2. Brown is trying to use the (PUKE!) stealer method of coaching stability to model this franchise. We all hate the bastards, but the truth is they have had 3 coaches since 1969 and have 6 rings. The only monkey wrench being that Lewis does not fit the stealer way because he can't win in the post season... in which case see number 1.

3. Brown DOESN'T want to win the Super Bowl, he just wants to make money. He is doing quite well in this scenario.

4. Lewis has video of Brown, Michael Moore, and Rosie O'Donnell doing the nasty in the trunk of his Lumina while dressed as Darth Vader, Jabba the Hut, and Yoda. He will remain as HC even after he dies because of this.

Just my $ .02, but the results of this team support my theories and opinion... much to my sadness...

Still and all... FUCK THE STEALERS!!!

3 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

Although there is some merit in what you have said, there is also some bullshit in there as well.

I know what teamwork and team building is, and how you have to have it in order to build and then maintain business success. I've personally been building teams, promoting teamwork, and producing good business results since 1983. The difference in this business model that is the Cincinnati Bengals is the owner.

Mike Brown has set Marvin Lewis on a pedestal because he brought us back from obscurity and made us relevant on the NFL scene, but most importantly Lewis has caused revenue to jump and continue to stream in.

In any other business setting in the WORLD, Lewis would've been let go years before now, because he has never reached the ultimate NFL business goal... winning a Super Bowl.

While many people have often stated that Mike Brown really does want to win a Super Bowl, his actions speak differently. The way I see this situation is as follows;

1. Brown does want to win a Super Bowl but isn't smart enough to hire the best coach/coaches/personnel and doesn't want to spend the money required to take this team to the top.

2. Brown is trying to use the (PUKE!) stealer method of coaching stability to model this franchise. We all hate the bastards, but the truth is they have had 3 coaches since 1969 and have 6 rings. The only monkey wrench being that Lewis does not fit the stealer way because he can't win in the post season... in which case see number 1.

3. Brown DOESN'T want to win the Super Bowl, he just wants to make money. He is doing quite well in this scenario.

4. Lewis has video of Brown, Michael Moore, and Rosie O'Donnell doing the nasty in the trunk of his Lumina while dressed as Darth Vader, Jabba the Hut, and Yoda. He will remain as HC even after he dies because of this.

Just my $ .02, but the results of this team support my theories and opinion... much to my sadness...

Still and all... FUCK THE STEALERS!!!

Sorry, but in almost any other business in the world, a manager that took a business from near the bottom of his industry to top 10 in his industry would have no chance of being fired.  ESPECIALLY, if he had enhanced the profits of said business the way Marvin has.  Now, I will agree that some of that increase is baked in, just due to the Industry's popularity, but some of it is definitely the result of making the Bengals part of the NFL storyline, whether negative or positive, with most of it being driven by the idea that they are on the cusp.  One thing that is obvious in the business that we call sports is that the most successful franchises don't constantly change their management.

If you're running it to make money, I absolutely agree with you. So to me, that's the reason Brown doesn't give a rats ass about a Super Bowl. There are a helluva lot of businesses that WOULD let him go if he hit a plateau for years, because they are ALWAYS looking to make more money. Stability is great, and that's what has led him to still keeping his job... he's making money and we aren't perennial losers. 

The NFL, in the fans eyes anyway, is about achieving the Super Bowl victory... obviously that isn't Browns ultimate goal. So as to my earlier post, #3 looks to be the answer... or possibly #4.

33 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

If you're running it to make money, I absolutely agree with you. So to me, that's the reason Brown doesn't give a rats ass about a Super Bowl. There are a helluva lot of businesses that WOULD let him go if he hit a plateau for years, because they are ALWAYS looking to make more money. Stability is great, and that's what has led him to still keeping his job... he's making money and we aren't perennial losers. 

The NFL, in the fans eyes anyway, is about achieving the Super Bowl victory... obviously that isn't Browns ultimate goal. So as to my earlier post, #3 looks to be the answer... or possibly #4.

From the sidelines, Chief, here is my perspective:

As you know, I used to blame MB for everything. That changed over the years. I have met several of the Brown family professionally (Katie being the best known), and at least from my perch, if you want a business to be run optimally, these folks have the goods. And that goes towards the "take chances" approach as well. They are all great business people, and much more NFL-knowledgeable than they appear in the papers.

All said, despite this season, this is still an upper eschelon operation. The playoff drought aside, tell me if the Oakland Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, or even the sainted fucking Stealers, have made the playoffs and won two division titles the past 5 years. 

I don't disagree that a coaching change isn't warranted. But if the present staff remains for 2017, I still will believe the team at its core is good enough to go all the way. Just one old guy's two cents.

Archived