Do we trade McCarron?

He's entering the final year of his contract. He showed enough in the few games he started in 2015 to garner interest from teams in desperate need of a QB. I know lots of folks would rather trade Andy but that's not going to happen.

Cleveland makes sense because of the Hue connection. Trading within the division is out of the ordinary though.

49ers, Bills, Bears, Jets all have a big need there. 

Who are some realistic trade partners and compensation?

I'd approach him about a new contract first.  If he wants starter/crazy money then trade him.

Average pay for a back up QB is roughly $3.5 - $4 million per year.  See if he'll take something

in that range.  If not then trade him for what you can get.  Should be able to get a 3rd round

pick, maybe a 2nd round pick even.  

If McCarron doesn't take a deal and gets traded I'd look at Mike Glennon.  He's up for FA after

this season.  Blaine Gabbert and T.J. Yates are also up for FA after this season.  

Or just roll with Jeff Driskell as our back up QB and draft a QB in round 4 or later.  A couple

I'd look at in round 4 IF they make it that far are Pat Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech.  I don't know

if Luke Falk, QB, Washington State, has declared for the draft yet or not but he's another I'd consider in round 4 IF he

last that long.  I'd take a flyer on the knucklehead nephew of Jim Kelly (Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss) in round 5 or later. 

18 hours ago, B.A.B. said:

Then draft one and have faith your coaches can train that guy. You don't let someone like McCarron go and get nothing in return. 

I completely agree.  He won't be here and if we let him walk, any sort of comp pick we would get (if any) would not be as much as we would get by treading him.

I would be like Frankie on American Pickers and do a bundle.  AJ "Way Better Than Dalton" McCarron and (???) for a higher pick, second or even first round.

But trading him would he the wise thing to do.  Which means The Marvin will not allow MikeandKatie to do it since he obviously runs the whole organization now.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

LOL you mean AJ "I am brutally assinjured over a nickname even though I call him Dumbo Dalton" McCarron

That is an easter egg autocorrect put in by ... "someone" (we know who you are ?) every time you type in  M  c  C  o  o  t  e  r

Hope that goes through without the autocorrect.  Try it, typing in that version of the guy's name.

Speaking of ?, where is that guy?  I really hope he was not banned.

46 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Sounds to me like he's gonna demand a trade. That will lead to MB not trading him by any means. Reporter asked him if he would demand a trade, he said he'll let his agent take care of that. 

Can we trade Marvin?  Never mind.  No one wants him.

Wtf would we trade the best QB on our roster?  Are we taking a page from the Reds playbook? Trade our best players.

I think the Pats, Dolphins, Raiders, Titans and others have proven how crucial it is to  have two good QB's on your roster. With one decent QB on the roster your entire season could end at any second. 

i would think if you wanted to trade him, youd have played him today, bad secondary, nothing to play for, get him some more games on film.... having not played in a year hurts the trade value.. he was worth a low 2 or early 3 in the offseason.. probably a 3-4 now...

If someone is trading for him I'm assuming it's to be their starter. In which case they will be giving up more than just a 3rd or 4th round pick. Nothing has changed from this offseason to last to affect his value.

I'm not sure if he's a restricted free agent or not after this year. I don't know how that works. I thought I read he was unrestricted. It makes no sense to hold onto him if we can trade him for a good pick. Draft a qb in the 4th or 5th to backup.

1 minute ago, akiliMVP said:

If someone is trading for him I'm assuming it's to be their starter. In which case they will be giving up more than just a 3rd or 4th round pick. Nothing has changed from this offseason to last to affect his value.

I'm not sure if he's a restricted free agent or not after this year. I don't know how that works. I thought I read he was unrestricted. It makes no sense to hold onto him if we can trade him for a good pick. Draft a qb in the 4th or 5th to backup.

It's confusing for sure. He only has 2 years in where people in his class have 3. The sense it would make to keep him would be that we have a capable backup. A 4th or 5th rounder is just a question mark. I would bet they also really like the Jeff Driskel.  From my understandings this is a great opportunity for us. We can trade him this offseason or next. 

I got this from Forbes of all places. 

Q. Okay, what is the difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent?

A.  In the 2016 league year, which runs through the end of 2016 into 2017, players with three accrued seasons who have received a qualifying offer become restricted free agents when their contracts expire at the conclusion of the 2015 league year. That league year ends today (Weds, March 9) at 4pm ET.  Unrestricted free agents have completed four or more accrued seasons.  An unrestricted free agent is free to sign with any club with no draft choice compensation owed to his old club.

Q. What exactly is this “accrued season” thing?

A. An accrued season is a player in six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved/injured or reserve/physically unable to perform lists.

Dangle him out there and see what kind of offers we get. The draft is weak at qb which bodes well for us. Jimmy G and Romo are 2 who may be trade targets as well. Romo is an old stop gap guy. McCarron is a potential long term solution for a team.

11 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I am pretty sure that is not accurate. 

http://overthecap.com/player/aj-mccarron/3103/

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/5/22/5742832/a-j-mccarron-and-contract-details-with-cincinnati-bengals

4 year contract.  2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.  You just proved it in your own post.  

An accrued season is a player in six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved/injured or reserve/physically unable to perform lists.

McCarron hasn't ever NOT been on the Bengals roster in ANY season.  Doesn't matter if he was "inactive" or on "injured/reserve" or "pup". 

4 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Wtf would we trade the best QB on our roster?  Are we taking a page from the Reds playbook? Trade our best players.

I think the Pats, Dolphins, Raiders, Titans and others have proven how crucial it is to  have two good QB's on your roster. With one decent QB on the roster your entire season could end at any second. 

No one is talking about trading Dalton.  

Archived