Ok so why can't Rex be the starter from now on?

I was messing around on NFL.com looking at season ending stats.  Now I'm going to point out up

front I'm not comparing these 2 guys overall seasons but............

Ezekiel Elliott and Jeremy Hill both had 3 runs of over 40+ yards.  I was kind of surprised about that.  

With that line in Dallas I figured he probably had a half dozen at the least.  Oh yeah, Elliott had 5 fumbles

to Hill's 0.  I don't recall anyone questioning Zeke's ball handling.  I guess when you're winning and

not fumbling in the playoffs lol it doesn't really come up much. 

David Johnson, (Arizona's RB) had 5 fumbles as well and only 2 runs of 40+ yards.  

On runs with 20-39 yards Elliott smoked both Hill and Johnson.  Elliott had 14 to

Johnson's 6 and Hill's 5.  

That Jordan Howard kid for da Bears had a helluva season.  Especially for a 5th round rookie.  

1,313 yards for an average of 5.2 ypc and 6 TD's.  Added 29 receptions for 298 yards and 1 TD.  

I don't recall any "buzz" about him pre-draft and being a Buckeyes fan kind of keep track of

the B1G players.  

21 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Nothing to with Rex or Hill or whoever, but that's interesting.  That is likely to bite them in the ass sometime during the postseason.

Yep.  Like I mentioned I wasn't even trying to compare the 2's overall seasons because they were pretty much polar

opposites.  I wasn't even aware of Zeke having a bit of fumblitis but apparently he does/could potentially and like you said

"bite them in the ass sometime during the postseason."  

I was just looking at some of the better RB's stats of this past season.  I didn't even think to look at Burkhead's but he

didn't fumble either but only had 74 carries.  

I was also checking out what their percentage of carries resulted in a 1st down.  

Zeke was at 28.3%

Johnson at 24.6% 

Hill at 18.9%  

To be honest I have no clue what the average percentage for the entire league is.  I'll have to see if I can find it. 

23 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I think the scouting is mostly fine, nobody hits gold every time, but  1000% yes on scheme. 

The offense has no identity, there's nothing they can hang their hat on.  It can't all be on AJ. They desperately need to focus on something and do it well. Not to the exclusion of everything else, but yes, I'm a run-first fan in large part because with a good RB the worst that can happen is you lose a yard or two. For whatever reason this team treats a run for no gain as worse than an incomplete pass. Also because I firmly believe if your line can't run block for at least a couple of yards consistently they probably suck in general.

Runs, screens, the deep ball - whatever it is, there has to be some aspect they do better than most everyone else. They've got to have something they can turn to when shit isn't going well. Something to steady the nerves and get some momentum going. Instead they get all ass-over-tin cup and end up taking delay of game penalties or worse in a grabasstic display of fuckery. It's pathetic to witness.

Bengals offense had a problem disappearing in the fourth quarter, and they need to improve on just about every aspect of their game, but they were no where near the worst unit in the league.  They were pretty solid in the middle in most metrics

Yards per game.............14th
Points per drive.............16th
Yards per play...............18th
3rd down efficiency........15th
Red zone efficiency (td)..18th
3-and-out percentage.....16th

Not good, but far from "pathetic".

19 hours ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

I was messing around on NFL.com looking at season ending stats.  Now I'm going to point out up

Ezekiel Elliott and Jeremy Hill both had 3 runs of over 40+ yards.  I was kind of surprised about that.  

With that line in Dallas I figured he probably had a half dozen at the least.  Oh yeah, Elliott had 5 fumbles

to Hill's 0.  I don't recall anyone questioning Zeke's ball handling.  I guess when you're winning and

David Johnson, (Arizona's RB) had 5 fumbles as well and only 2 runs of 40+ yards.  

On runs with 20-39 yards Elliott smoked both Hill and Johnson.  Elliott had 14 to

That Jordan Howard kid for da Bears had a helluva season.  Especially for a 5th round rookie.  

1,313 yards for an average of 5.2 ypc and 6 TD's.  Added 29 receptions for 298 yards and 1 TD.  

I don't recall any "buzz" about him pre-draft and being a Buckeyes fan kind of keep track of

the B1G players.  

Hill had 4 fumbles his rookie year on 100 less carries than Elliott.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Bengals offense had a problem disappearing in the fourth quarter, and they need to improve on just about every aspect of their game, but they were no where near the worst unit in the league.  They were pretty solid in the middle in most metrics

Yards per game.............14th
Points per drive.............16th
Yards per play...............18th
3rd down efficiency........15th
Red zone efficiency (td)..18th
3-and-out percentage.....16th

Not good, but far from "pathetic".

I think you're missing the point.  I'm not arguing that their stats are less than average (faint praise, that). I'm saying that when things go wrong they tend to snowball because they don't have an identity. What are they known for? Weird OL formations?

To Hill's credit he has fixed the fumbling problem.

It baffles me though why people can get on the Oline about pass protection and be right about that but cant see the same Oline isnt run blocking as well as they could be. (or maybe they are and we need better talent)

34 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

It baffles me though why people can get on the Oline about pass protection and be right about that but cant see the same Oline isnt run blocking as well as they could be. (or maybe they are and we need better talent)

I suspect Hill may have fixed the fumbling problem (he had what, 2?) at the expense of fighting for those extra yards he gained as a rookie.

Like I said re: the OL elsewhere, if your group can't block for a couple of yards rushing with any consistency they're simply not a good OL.  You can hide shaky blocking in the passing game when you're getting the ball out in <3 seconds. There's no fooling a running lane.

Just now, T-Dub said:

I suspect Hill may have fixed the fumbling problem (he had what, 2?) at the expense of fighting for those extra yards he gained as a rookie.

Like I said re: the OL elsewhere, if your group can't block for a couple of yards rushing with any consistency they're simply not a good OL.  You can hid that in the passing game when you're getting the ball out in <3 seconds. There's no fooling a running lane.

yep

3 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Hill had 4 fumbles his rookie year on 100 less carries than Elliott.

I understand that.  I wasn't comparing rookie seasons.  I just randomly selected Elliott and Johnson because they

both had big years from a production standpoint.  

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

The OL fell off this year tremendously on both run blocking and pass protection.  And I agree with you on Hill correcting his fumbling issue

as I mentioned previously.  I think it was in the back of his head all year though because when he took a hand off this year, he did a lot

of dancing behind the LOS and was hesitant to hit the LOS.  Look at his rookie year, he got the hand off, no real hesitation probably because

he wasn't thinking/worrying about ball protection.  I'm hoping that going the whole year without fumbling will bring back the 1st year

Jeremy.  Folks tend to forget about the "mental" aspects of football because it's such a "physical" game.  You KNOW that fumble in the

playoff game messed with his head.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1sfg0NB6y4

I REALLY hope the Bengals can keep and USE Burkhead. I was impressed with his play for Nebraska. RB is not only about size or speed. Burkhead has SKILLS to elude,to get an extra yard to see the daylight.  Hill and Gino too often have tunnel vision, don't stretch out the run. I think the line has ABILITY but...at times I thought....why call THAT play?  Is that how it's supposed to go?

• 2 weeks later...

If things should go amiss with Rex

As far as I can tell ignoring the guys that may return in free agency I see our needs as: 2nd WR, LT, C, RG, RT, K, LDT, RDE, SLB, MLB, S, CB, CB, Backup QB, RB Depth. These are at all kinds of different levels. Some can be filled in house, some will be filled with re-signed free agents, some will have to come from the draft or free agency.

·        Rex Burkhead 5-10 210, 26, 1 career start

o       Burkhead had success with more carries closing out the year with an impressive 119 yards and 2 tds. He had his best year on the ground with 344 yards and 2 tds as well as 17 catches for 145 yards. He also had 13 tackles on special teams. He might be looking for a place where he can get more carries.

·        Denard Robinson 6-0 213, 26, 13 career starts

o       Robinson is one of those enigma players who seems to have loads of ability but never really produces. He would be a guy who I would add to the end of the roster if no one grabs him when free agency slows way down. Might also be a good replacement if Burkhead leaves. His second year was his best with 582 rushing yards and 23 catches. Then they added Yeldon

·        Andre Ellington 5-9 199, 27, 15 career starts

o       Ellington had great rookie and second years and then fell off. David Johnson has taken control of almost all of the carries there. He is another guy that would be a nice end of the bench guy if he doesn’t find a home in free agency.

·        James Wilder 6-1 232, 24

o       Wilder is currently a free agent. I would love for him to come back for camp. His highlight reel from college is great and I think he could be an eventual Peerman replacement. I am irrational about him.

Projection: I would love to have Burkhead back but I am pretty sure he is gone. I just don’t see how Burkhead can look at the market and not see another team (Packers, Vikings) that will be able to pay him similarly or more and give him more carries. I hope that Burkhead is back and plays here a long time, maybe even eventually taking over the Peerman role. With that said I think they bring back Peerman and draft a guy. I think this position gets really confusing. Bernard is a lock. Hill is probably a lock. Peerman seems to be a lock with his role on teams. This draft is very deep at RB and we will have 11 picks. Burkhead if re-signed clouds that a bit. I guess I could see a situation where Hill gets cut, but that would be pretty surprising.

10 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I think this position gets really confusing. Bernard is a lock. Hill is probably a lock. Peerman seems to be a lock with his role on teams. This draft is very deep at RB and we will have 11 picks. Burkhead if re-signed clouds that a bit. I guess I could see a situation where Hill gets cut, but that would be pretty surprising.

What makes it really confusing is the fact that Gio won't be 100% to start the season.  He didn't suffer the injury intil the end os november, so I am actually assuming he will start the season on PUP.  And a lot of guys actually struggles a bit for the full season following an ACL surgery.

Bengals love Peerman, but they will not depend on him to be any sort of ball carrier.  We may have to sacrifice that ST position for an extra running back to start the season.  In that case we might sign an older RB to a one year deal.

And I think a lot of people are overestimating Burkeheads value as a free agent.  He may be better than a lot of rookies coming into the league, but not enough better to justify paying a veteran contract instead of a rookie deal.

On 1/6/2017 at 1:44 PM, Randle P McMurphy said:

the B1G players.  

These are a good stats.

On 1/7/2017 at 2:21 PM, T-Dub said:

Like I said re: the OL elsewhere, if your group can't block for a couple of yards rushing with any consistency they're simply not a good OL.  You can hide shaky blocking in the passing game when you're getting the ball out in <3 seconds. There's no fooling a running lane.

I would fix it to above all else after a fumble no Bengals fan will forget til the day they die. That being said there's no substitute for horribie vision of said running lanes either or style of runner to match style of your linemen and blocking scheme. I can't be the only one that saw hiw much better the oline looked when Rex started against Baltimore. How many carries for losses did Hill have this year? At least a couple per game. I saw Rex hit behind line once and even then he still may of fell forward to the los and not been given a loss. Not only did he look quicker and faster than Hill with better vision hitting through small creases before dlineman even knew he was by them but being smaller getting his momentum mkving forward hecwas still pushing piles forward and getting better yards after contact then Hill generally did all year.

If Hill doesn't shape up he has to go. He hasn't been the same since his last 8 games of rookie year and that fumble in tge playoffs did him no favors. He seems to run scared of fumbling now instead of punishing would be tacklers with his momentum and speed like a back his size should. Possibly could be due to injury. If that's the case Ibwould argue he should of sat out he wasn't doing team any favors playing in that condition. Only good games I remember were against Cleveland.

Archived