'17 and '18 Free Agents..... so many...

so this offseason we have 5 starters and 3 decent amount rotation guys hitting the streets...Whit, Peko, Lafell, Kirk, and Zeitler.. then Hunt, Gilberry, Thompson, and then on teams Rex and Peerman.

Peerman and or Rex should be rather cheap to keep. same with Hunt, Gilberry, and Thompson, Kirk and Lafell might get some action, and i have a feeling Kirk will want to leave regardless. Peko i would personally like to have around, he is a great leader and a reliable player. Same with Whitworth..

If we lose Kirk we almost have to draft another DB in the first two rounds. Losing Whit would mena losing our best veteran lineman, he seems to want to return and i assume the bengals will be glad to pay him, as i assume he will garner less cash than he makes now 2 years 10-12 mil should do it i would think... Peko would probably return for 2-3per as well..

no one else in the first group means a whole lot...

as for '18. im not sure of Maualugas future regardless of FA status.. he was not active at times this year, so if Burfict is healthy and Vigil plays well, do they cut Maualuga?

in that '18 list there are 8+ players who start or play a decent amount. Basically in the next two offseason half of our starters are UFA. including all specialty special teams guys...

i assume huber is a lock to stick around... from here, does well, cheap etc.. why leave..  but still...

40 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

as for '18. im not sure of Maualugas future regardless of FA status.. he was not active at times this year, so if Burfict is healthy and Vigil plays well, do they cut Maualuga?

in that '18 list there are 8+ players who start or play a decent amount. Basically in the next two offseason half of our starters are UFA. including all specialty special teams guys...

i assume huber is a lock to stick around... from here, does well, cheap etc.. why leave..  but still...

We could lose all but Burfict and Eifert out of 2018 and not blink. 

Only one from the '17 list that has to come back is Whit. Without him this is probably the worst line in football.

I'd offer Kirkpatrick and Zeitler a contract. I think Kirk leaves and Zeitler is 50-50.

In '18 I'm bringing back Burfict and Huber. Eifert can't stay healthy for the money he'll want plus I like Uzomah.

These last couple drafts have been BAD.

The odds on Dre Kirkpatrick being re-signed are directly tied to how the team feels about Adam Jones. If they think he's still got something in the tank, Dre is gone.

Jones, Darqueze Dennard, William Jackson III, and Josh Shaw should constitute a pretty strong group - at least strong enough that the Bengals can't justify a huge contract for him.

I'd really like to see Brandon LaFell signed to a multi year contract. The knock on him has always been his hands. Based on what I've seen this year, he seems to have worked that out.

Andrew Whitworth will undoubtedly be back on a one year deal.

Kevin Zeitler's either going to sign a new deal or find himself franchised.

This team better not bring back Domata Peko. I can't think of any moves that would piss me off more.

Rex Burkhead... I've got a bad feeling someone's going to pay him just enough to leave. The situation reminds me of Dan Skuta a few years ago - great special teams guy who did just enough on defense to get some attention in free agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

We had this discussion 2 years ago but the context was we should be making a deep playoff run NOW since we have most of our best players locked up and plenty of cap space to sign the other pieces.  

It's 2 years later and the clock has struck midnight.

Other than solving the question at kicker, this team really doesn't have any holes that need to be filled.

I may be in the minority, but I feel like the offensive line issues are more a matter of play calling and scheme then they are personnel.

Clint Boling played like ass this year, but that a lot to do with his shoulder injury. Cedric Ogbuehi is not going to be a tackle in the NFL. However, I've seen enough of Eric Fisher (despite that whiff on Dunervil today) to think that he can and will be.

The receiving corps will be fine. Tyler Boyd and Cody Core got a lot of reps this year that should serve them well in Year 2. A free agent burner would be nice, but I think the pieces are pretty much in place.

On defense, every personnel group is good.

The Karlos Dansby experiment failed, but the thought of Vontaze Burfict and Nick Vigil on the field together in the nickel next year makes me happy.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't know what position I'd throw a sack of money at to "fix". What say you?

44 minutes ago, Big Alice said:

Other than solving the question at kicker, this team really doesn't have any holes that need to be filled.

I may be in the minority, but I feel like the offensive line issues are more a matter of play calling and scheme then they are personnel.

Clint Boling played like ass this year, but that a lot to do with his shoulder injury. Cedric Ogbuehi is not going to be a tackle in the NFL. However, I've seen enough of Eric Fisher (despite that whiff on Dunervil today) to think that he can and will be.

The receiving corps will be fine. Tyler Boyd and Cody Core got a lot of reps this year that should serve them well in Year 2. A free agent burner would be nice, but I think the pieces are pretty much in place.

On defense, every personnel group is good.

The Karlos Dansby experiment failed, but the thought of Vontaze Burfict and Nick Vigil on the field together in the nickel next year makes me happy.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't know what position I'd throw a sack of money at to "fix". What say you?

If having average to below average players at almost every position is your idea of good then yeah we are set.  Our defense is ranked 17th, that is not good, it's mediocre.

We have 1 great receiver and 1 great defensive lineman at a mediocre position. The only other good player (Burfict) has missed 22 games in 3 years and will eventually concuss himself out of the league.

Now we have no choice but to pay Whitworth to come back because we can't seem to draft onlineman (or cornerbacks) who can play football.  

Yeah, we might be a wildcard team next year but we are nowhere near a top 5 team.

30 minutes ago, SF2 said:

If having average to below average players at almost every position is your idea of good then yeah we are set.  Our defense is ranked 17th, that is not good, it's mediocre.

We have 1 great receiver and 1 great defensive lineman at a mediocre position. The only other good player (Burfict) has missed 22 games in 3 years and will eventually concuss himself out of the league.

Now we have no choice but to pay Whitworth to come back because we can't seem to draft onlineman (or cornerbacks) who can play football.  

Yeah, we might be a wildcard team next year but we are nowhere near a top 5 team.

Top 5 teams have playmakers. We have a lot and tons of potential ones. I could see us being a top five team. I can't see it with this coaching. They play not to lose. And when chooses which players to play its all conservative. 

Dunlap
Dalton
Eifert
In terms of potential
The 2 RBs, Core and Boyd at WR, Dennard and Jackson at CB, Vigil at LB. 

...and Gio Bernard.

Iloka is a year removed from being one of the best safeties in football. He'll get back there.

This doom and gloom about a mediocre roster is fucking dumb. This season was so disappointing because the Bengals underachieved. The talent is in place.

On 1/1/2017 at 4:46 PM, GoBengals said:

so this offseason we have 5 starters and 3 decent amount rotation guys hitting the streets...Whit, Peko, Lafell, Kirk, and Zeitler.. then Hunt, Gilberry, Thompson, and then on teams Rex and Peerman.

Peerman and or Rex should be rather cheap to keep. same with Hunt, Gilberry, and Thompson, Kirk and Lafell might get some action, and i have a feeling Kirk will want to leave regardless. Peko i would personally like to have around, he is a great leader and a reliable player. Same with Whitworth..

If we lose Kirk we almost have to draft another DB in the first two rounds. Losing Whit would mena losing our best veteran lineman, he seems to want to return and i assume the bengals will be glad to pay him, as i assume he will garner less cash than he makes now 2 years 10-12 mil should do it i would think... Peko would probably return for 2-3per as well..

no one else in the first group means a whole lot...

I agree with almost everything you've said here, although I don't expect Dre K to get away.  They either sign him or tag him.  Whit is a necessity, and Peko played good and will provide a level of leadership in the DL room.  With Gio's knee, they definitely need to find a way to retain Rex, even if you overpay a little.  Everyone else they want to keep, with the exception of Z, should be no problem.

20 hours ago, Big Alice said:

...and Gio Bernard.

Iloka is a year removed from being one of the best safeties in football. He'll get back there.

This doom and gloom about a mediocre roster is fucking dumb. This season was so disappointing because the Bengals underachieved. The talent is in place.

We just need to hit a homerun with this draft class and hope that the 2016 class (especially WJII) pans out. 

I think there are a lot of reasons for the struggles this year. Key injuries, underachieving, a loaded schedule, etc. But I do think you have to acknowledge that one of the major reasons was the recent string of bad drafts. The shitty 2015 class is directly responsible for a lot of the problems. 

Overall, I think the roster is still in pretty good shape. We have some talented guys locked into below market deals on both sides of the ball.

Absolutely can't screw up another draft though...

53 minutes ago, Enon Bengal said:

There are only four guys on the 2017 list that I think are essential:

Whitworth, LaFell, Zeitler, and Burkhead

Kirkpatric can go thump his chest after every seven yard completion for some other team.

Thank God no one on the coaching staff asks for your opinion.

We just need to hit a homerun with this draft class and hope that the 2016 class (especially WJII) pans out. 
I think there are a lot of reasons for the struggles this year. Key injuries, underachieving, a loaded schedule, etc. But I do think you have to acknowledge that one of the major reasons was the recent string of bad drafts. The shitty 2015 class is directly responsible for a lot of the problems. 
Overall, I think the roster is still in pretty good shape. We have some talented guys locked into below market deals on both sides of the ball.

Yeah. The 2015 draft class is less than stellar.

On 1/1/2017 at 4:40 PM, GoBengals said:

this year...2017....

Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 2.27.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 2.28.42 PM.png

2017:

Whit 

Peko

Gilberry

Thompson

Burkhead

2018:

Burfict

Huber

Eifert

Wright

This team needs to give Burkhead and Wright more snaps. Gilberry is our best rotational playet on the D-Line and he loves it here. Peko and Whit will likely get 2 year deals and at a hometown discount. Burfict and Eifert need to be taken care of this offseason, no chance you can let either one hit FA, not to mention Eifert's price will be slightly lower this year coming off multiple injuries than it will be next year should he return to 2015 form. 

The rest can walk as far as im concerned.

12 hours ago, happyrid said:

The last 5 drafts are killing us.   The only pro bowl calibre players can't stay on the field.  

What is worse is we end up replacing good to very good but near expiration date (or off to FA) players with average to below average players due to poor recent drafts.

Other than getting Lafell our replacements are not filling shoes.  

Archived