I don't know who we'll target in the 1st round but Jabril Peppers is probably the most overrated player
right now.  I've seen quite a few people "project" him as an OLB.  He'd get eaten alive at any LB'er spot.
Dude is 6' 0" 205 lbs.  lol  He might and I say might be a decent safety and a helluva return guy but imo
he's not worthy of being a top 10 pick.  

I couldn't disagree more.

Either you're confused about what you're reading, or some internet hack has it all wrong. Jabril Peppers doesn't project as a linebacker.

Michigan said that they would use him as a linebacker in certain packages this year. That speaks to how strong he is in run support. Peppers is as pure a cornerback as you'll find. He's big, strong, and supremely athletic.

When I see him, I think "Patrick Peterson".

Here are some predictions...

Through this draft cycle, Jon Allen (DT, Alabama) will become a consensus, lead pipe lock at #1.

Mitch Trubisky (QB, UNC) will be OVER-DRAFTED, and taken in the Top 15. He's not that good.

I'm seeing Leonard Fournette (RB, LSU) and Dalvin Cook (RB, Florida St) projected as Top 10 picks. Neither will be taken in the Top 15.

Mike Williams (Clemson) will be the first WR drafted.

The Patriots will find a way to draft Deshaun Watson and groom him to be Tom Brady's heir.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

Peppers played 29 career games and did not get his first career INT until game 28, and has 10 career passes defended. 4 career sacks and 1 career forced fumble.

I know stats aren't everything, but those are not great stats.  

7 minutes ago, Big Alice said:

I couldn't disagree more.

Either you're confused about what you're reading, or some internet hack has it all wrong. Jabril Peppers doesn't project as a linebacker.

Michigan said that they would use him as a linebacker in certain packages this year. That speaks to how strong he is in run support. Peppers is as pure a cornerback as you'll find. He's big, strong, and supremely athletic.

Here are some predictions...

Through this draft cycle, Jon Allen (DT, Alabama) will become a consensus, lead pipe lock at #1.

Mitch Trubisky (QB, UNC) will be OVER-DRAFTED, and taken in the Top 15. He's not that good.

I'm seeing Leonard Fournette (RB, LSU) and Dalvin Cook (RB, Florida St) projected as Top 10 picks. Neither will be taken in the Top 15.

Mike Williams (Clemson) will be the first WR drafted.

The Patriots will find a way to draft Deshaun Watson and groom him to be Tom Brady's heir.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

Which is exactly what I said.    He'd get eaten alive at any LB'er spot.   I'll guarantee you the guy doesn't play CB in the NFL.  

The guy only had 1 interception and 11 passes defensed in 3 years.  His best bet in the NFL is Safety (Strong Safety) 

16 hours ago, High School Harry said:

You guys will love this mock (I do, too)

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/1/2/14144586/nfl-mock-draft-2017-leonard-fournette-jamal-adams-mitch-trubisky?yptr=yahoo

Has us taking Foster in the first round and Taco in the second.  

Cleveland takes Garrett and Peppers in the first and QB Sidney Jones in the second ... no quarterback?

That would be outstanding for us. I'd be shocked if Charlton makes it through round 1 though.

Currently I'd love to see us take Foster at 9. As much as Cook/Fournette would be a luxury I think there's just too much need to add defensive help and I love what Foster brings to the table.

As mentioned, if we see Dre leave I wouldn't be surprised if it's Tabor or Humphrey if they're there.

Can't see us taking a WR that high. Not sold on Williams and am hoping LaFell returns and Boyd and Core continue to improve.

Haven't seen enough of Robinson. Is he worth taking that high?

On 1/1/2017 at 8:45 PM, akiliMVP said:

Top 8 mock

1. Browns - DE Myles Garrett, Texas A&M

2. 49ers - DT Jonathan Allen, Alabama

3. Bears - QB Mitch Tribusky, North Carolina

4. Jaguars - OT Cam Robinson, Alabama

5. Titans (from LA) - CB Marlon Humphrey, Alabama

6. Jets - QB Deshaun Watson, Clemson

7. Chargers - S Jabril Peppers, Michigan

8. Panthers - CB Teez Tabor, Florida

Top guys available per CBS:

1. RB Dalvin Cook, FSU - I doubt we.draft a back this high. I'd be thrilled if we took Cook though. Elite playmaker.

2. RB Leonard Fournette, LSU - Not quite as dynamic as Cook but has a unique combination of power and speed. Health is a concern.

3. WR Mike Williams, Clemson - Size and speed. Top receiver in the draft. I doubt we take a receiver this high.

4. LB Reuben Foster, Alabama - One of my favorite players in the draft. Flies around the field making plays. He can thump against the run and cover receivers. 

5. DE/DT Solomon Thomas, Stanford - Kind of an end/tackle hybrid. Dominating pass rusher from inside. Plays basically the same position as Geno so seems unlikely.

6. S Jamal Adams, LSU - I don't see safety as a possibility with Williams and Iloka locked up longterm.

7. Malik McDowell, Michigan State - Doesn't really fit in our defense. 3-4 end type player.

8. DE Taco Charlton, Michigan - I love Taco. He can play the run and rush the QB. Prototype size for a 4-3 end. I think his stock will soar after the combine. If Foster is gone this is who I want.

I'd be good with Mike Williams or Rueben Foster. Williams at 9 might be high for a wr for us but he would be worth it. Made others look like he was a man playing against little boys at Clemson which bodes well for the future relating to wrs in the NFL majority of the time. Him and AJ on each side with a healthy Eifert and Boyd inside could be scary. Foster makes plays all over the field and an upgrade to Dansby is needed even though defense played much much better last 7 or 8 games of year. Always having scrub lbs makes me want Foster but think Williams might be to good to pass up.

Talking about the draft before we see what happens in free agency is kind of a waste of time, but here are a few comments I will be cutting and pasting into every draft thread.

-Peppers can be a huge bust unless he goes to a team that knows exactly how to use him.  He could be another Cam Chancellor or he could be a flop.

-No matter how good of a WR is available I don't want to use a #9 pick on a #2WR.

-We need LB help, but LB is not a huge impact position in a 4-3 scheme.  So we should not use the #9 pick on a LB unless he is a generational type player.  I honestly have not looked at the prospects enough to know if there is a guy like that in this years draft.

-Derek Barnett may slip in the draft because of his size, but I think he will be a great player in the NFL.

-Top 10 picks are often overrated.  If we could get another second round pick to just drop 10 spots or so I would jump at it.

-I don't trust Fournette to be a great NFL back.

-I am pretty sure we will get a third round supplemental pick for all the free agents we lost last year.

8 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Talking about the draft before we see what happens in free agency is kind of a waste of time, but here are a few comments I will be cutting and pasting into every draft thread.

-Peppers can be a huge bust unless he goes to a team that knows exactly how to use him.  He could be another Cam Chancellor or he could be a flop.

-No matter how good of a WR is available I don't want to use a #9 pick on a #2WR.

-We need LB help, but LB is not a huge impact position in a 4-3 scheme.  So we should not use the #9 pick on a LB unless he is a generational type player.  I honestly have not looked at the prospects enough to know if there is a guy like that in this years draft.

-Derek Barnett may slip in the draft because of his size, but I think he will be a great player in the NFL.

-Top 10 picks are often overrated.  If we could get another second round pick to just drop 10 spots or so I would jump at it.

-I don't trust Fournette to be a great NFL back.

-I am pretty sure we will get a third round supplemental pick for all the free agents we lost last year.

Was reading about supp picks. It's a per player thing not cumulative. Projected to get 2 4th round picks for Jones and Sanu and 2 6th round picks for Nelson and Smith.

On 1/2/2017 at 9:03 PM, Big Alice said:

that's funny, when I see him, I think "Ted Ginn" ....no real position, insanely talented with the ball in his hands but not a complete enough player on either side of the ball to make any kind of consistent impact....in other words, over-rated, glorified kick and punt returner....no thanks.

and here's a prediction for ya....once the draft process plays itself out over the next 4 months or so, Peppers ends up going closer to the bottom of the first round instead of near the top when it's all said and done.

40 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

Was reading about supp picks. It's a per player thing not cumulative. Projected to get 2 4th round picks for Jones and Sanu and 2 6th round picks for Nelson and Smith.

That sucks.  At least we can trade them now.  I hope we use some of those extra picks to move up in the top 100 or so.

We don't have room on our roster for 11 rookies.  We will already be adding Jackson and Billings from last year.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Reuben Foster out of Alabama is a play maker.  Fast, good in coverage, and hits HARD.  He is the top of my realistic wish list right now.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Do not agree.  That's how we end up with Dennards, Kirkpatricks, Ogbuheis, etc.  I would like to trade up for a guy who is a quality player and more likely to be an impact player than a red shirt on the inactive list or IR.

58 minutes ago, Jason said:

Reuben Foster out of Alabama is a play maker.  Fast, good in coverage, and hits HARD.

Watched some highlights, and he doesn't just hit hard; he tackles.  I remember people saying Maualuga was a big hitter but when I watched his college tape saw him throwing a lot of forearms, shoving dudes, launching himself - basically relying on being bigger than his target & his form kinda sucked. 

This guy on the other hand is squaring people up or running through them.  Quite a few shoestring tackles mixed in there where he wraps up even though he doesn't have the best angle. Seems to have good instincts too - there were a couple of clips where he saw through play fakes or misdirection & made a play. I wonder if he's fast & agile enough to play sideline to sideline at the NFL level? That would mean the difference between #9 overall and late 1st round or beyond IMO.

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Watched some highlights, and he doesn't just hit hard; he tackles.  I remember people saying Maualuga was a big hitter but when I watched his college tape saw him throwing a lot of forearms, shoving dudes, launching himself - basically relying on being bigger than his target & his form kinda sucked. 

This guy on the other hand is squaring people up or running through them.  Quite a few shoestring tackles mixed in there where he wraps up even though he doesn't have the best angle.  I wonder if he's fast & agile enough to play sideline to sideline at the NFL level? That would mean the difference between #9 overall and late 1st round IMO.

Foster is a tremendous athlete. He drops in coverage a lot and is great at it.

3 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

Foster is a tremendous athlete. He drops in coverage a lot and is great at it.

Yeh he looked good there too but I don't watch enough college ball to know who he was covering.  Could be someone with NFL speed, could be the coach's nephew.  40/shuttle times will be interesting.

30 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Do not agree.  That's how we end up with Dennards, Kirkpatricks, Ogbuheis, etc.  I would like to trade up for a guy who is a quality player and more likely to be an impact player than a red shirt on the inactive list or IR.

But top ten picks are just as likely to flop as mid first round picks.  Remember how we got Keith Rivers.

The entire draft is more of a crap shoot than anyone want to admit, but teams will give up a lot to get into the top ten.  I say we are more likely to get a good player with the #19 and #51 than just the #9.

On 1/2/2017 at 8:48 PM, Jason said:

JuJu is making some impressive catches tonight.  I don't think he's worth #9 but if he slides to our 2 I'd be interested.  

Maybe I'm wrong, but he seems more like a possession receiver to me.  I think Boyd will fill that role.  I think we need some speed opposite of AJ to help open up Eifert and take some pressure off of AJ.  

Archived