Looks like we draft ninth or 10th. Cards win we go 9. They are currently up 16-6 over Rams. 

Without having delved too much into the draft prospects yet can you get to nine players you would like? I think I am at 4

1. Garrett

2. Allen

3. Foster

4. Barnett

Wouldn't probably complain with

Fournette

Davis

Ross

What are some of you more educated draftniks thoughts?

50 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Looks like we draft ninth or 10th. Cards win we go 9. They are currently up 16-6 over Rams. 

Without having delved too much into the draft prospects yet can you get to nine players you would like? I think I am at 4

1. Garrett

2. Allen

3. Foster

4. Barnett

Wouldn't probably complain with

Fournette

Davis

Ross

What are some of you more educated draftniks thoughts?

Barring a trade or injury, forget 1 and 2.

We know they won't go QB.

As willing as I am to let Hill go, they won't so Cook and Fournette are likely not in play.  Cook would be a fun toy though.

Williams and Ross are the only WRs I'd consider in 1, and as much as I like what Ross would add, I think he'd be a reach.

No guards or centers worth 9.

Given how recently they drafted Ced and Fisher, I don't know if they would take Robinson.  And Robinson has mixed grades right now.

No TE worth 9 and I don't see a TE before the 4th round anyway.  (But if Butt is still there in 4 or 5 after his ACL I'd think long and hard.)

Of course K and P are not considerations at 9, and P not at all.

Currently 5 DEs are potential top 10 picks.  Forget Garrett and Allen.  That leaves Thomas, Charlton and Barnett.  The only one I have seen much of is Taco.  Barnett's stock is more up and down than an elevator.  I haven't seen Thomas at all.  I'm not sold on any of them enough to take at 9.  Honestly, I'd love to get Walker in 2.

Only 1 DT currently is in that range.  And I'm not sure McDowell is a DT for us.

Tim Williams is a guy I wouldn't mind at 9.  Where does Peppers play?  I think his best position might be SS.  But he is a punk, and honestly he's been better as a returner and gadget offensive player than I have seen of him on D.

Right now Foster is the top of my wish list.  I wasn't at all impressed in what I saw of Cunningham.Right now no other ILB is in the conversation.

Only 1 safety currently in the draft (other than Peppers) is in that range.  If Hooker declares I think he'd be up there too.  But realistically, will the Bengals consider a S at 9?  I seriously doubt it.

And then we have CBs Humphrey and Tabor, neither of which have I seen enough of to judge.  CB might be in play if they are unable to re-sign Dre.  And Dre has developed into a good CB.

The 7 guys bolded I think are realistic options based on current rankings.

I don't know who we'll target in the 1st round but Jabril Peppers is probably the most overrated player

right now.  I've seen quite a few people "project" him as an OLB.  He'd get eaten alive at any LB'er spot.

Dude is 6' 0" 205 lbs.  lol  He might and I say might be a decent safety and a helluva return guy but imo

he's not worthy of being a top 10 pick.  

We need some OL help but with Ogbuehi and Fisher being recent picks in the 1st and 2nd I'm not sure they

pull the trigger again.  At least in the 1st round.  Bodine needs to be shitcanned but no way do you take a 

Center in the top 10.  IF Elflein is there in the 2nd, RUN to the podium.  That kid from LSU is the only Center

I've seen rated higher than Elflein but at 6' 6" pad level may be a problem for him at the next level.   

We could definitely use upgrades in the LB'er core.  Maualuga and Dansby just aren't cutting it.  I can't hardly

remember the last time we had a good strongside LB'er.  Reuben Foster is the highest rated LB'er but plays

inside at 'Bama and they run a 3-4 defense.  At 236 lbs can he hold up at MLB in a 4-3 defense?  Could always

put Burfict in the middle and Foster at weakside Lb'er I guess?    

Top 8 mock

1. Browns - DE Myles Garrett, Texas A&M

2. 49ers - DT Jonathan Allen, Alabama

3. Bears - QB Mitch Tribusky, North Carolina

4. Jaguars - OT Cam Robinson, Alabama

5. Titans (from LA) - CB Marlon Humphrey, Alabama

6. Jets - QB Deshaun Watson, Clemson

7. Chargers - S Jabril Peppers, Michigan

8. Panthers - CB Teez Tabor, Florida

Top guys available per CBS:

1. RB Dalvin Cook, FSU - I doubt we.draft a back this high. I'd be thrilled if we took Cook though. Elite playmaker.

2. RB Leonard Fournette, LSU - Not quite as dynamic as Cook but has a unique combination of power and speed. Health is a concern.

3. WR Mike Williams, Clemson - Size and speed. Top receiver in the draft. I doubt we take a receiver this high.

4. LB Reuben Foster, Alabama - One of my favorite players in the draft. Flies around the field making plays. He can thump against the run and cover receivers. 

5. DE/DT Solomon Thomas, Stanford - Kind of an end/tackle hybrid. Dominating pass rusher from inside. Plays basically the same position as Geno so seems unlikely.

6. S Jamal Adams, LSU - I don't see safety as a possibility with Williams and Iloka locked up longterm.

7. Malik McDowell, Michigan State - Doesn't really fit in our defense. 3-4 end type player.

8. DE Taco Charlton, Michigan - I love Taco. He can play the run and rush the QB. Prototype size for a 4-3 end. I think his stock will soar after the combine. If Foster is gone this is who I want.

Whatever they do I just hope it's not someone who is going to sit on the bench for a year or two!!

That crap is getting old!  lol  We need an "impact player."  Not sure a DE outside of Garrett or Allen

would be anything more than a rotational player.  I could be wrong.  A top LB'er could come in and

start day one.  

If we had lost to Baltimore, we would be drafting 8th, not 9th, behind San Diego.  Not that much of a difference and still, imho, our of prime quality pick range.  Pfffttt and a yawn for the mediocre.  So we take a slider who slid for a reason or someone with potential... like Ogbuhei.  Or Kirkpatrick or Dennard.  The Marvengals are mired in the rut of suck.

Cleveland has the first and 12th draft picks.

15 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

8. DE Taco Charlton, Michigan - I love Taco. He can play the run and rush the QB. Prototype size for a 4-3 end. I think his stock will soar after the combine. If Foster is gone this is who I want.

15 hours ago, Jason said:

Given that top 8, give me Foster.

You guys will love this mock (I do, too)

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/1/2/14144586/nfl-mock-draft-2017-leonard-fournette-jamal-adams-mitch-trubisky?yptr=yahoo

Has us taking Foster in the first round and Taco in the second.  

Cleveland takes Garrett and Peppers in the first and QB Sidney Jones in the second ... no quarterback?

10 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

You guys will love this mock (I do, too)

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/1/2/14144586/nfl-mock-draft-2017-leonard-fournette-jamal-adams-mitch-trubisky?yptr=yahoo

Has us taking Foster in the first round and Taco in the second.  

Cleveland takes Garrett and Peppers in the first and QB Sidney Jones in the second ... no quarterback?

Yeah, that would be great.  I suppose it's possible, I didn't think Billings would make it to our 1, let alone our 4, but I don't see Charlton making it to our 2.  He has been climbing recently, and he's a 4-3 pass rusher.

As for Cleveland and a QB, I'm not convinced any QB in this draft would be better than RG3.  This is a really bad draft to need a QB.

13 hours ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

Whatever they do I just hope it's not someone who is going to sit on the bench for a year or two!!

That crap is getting old!  lol  We need an "impact player."  Not sure a DE outside of Garrett or Allen

would be anything more than a rotational player.  I could be wrong.  A top LB'er could come in and

start day one.  

This.  When picking in the Top 10, get a guy who can make an impact right away.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah, that would be great.  I suppose it's possible, I didn't think Billings would make it to our 1, let alone our 4, but I don't see Charlton making it to our 2.  He has been climbing recently, and he's a 4-3 pass rusher.

As for Cleveland and a QB, I'm not convinced any QB in this draft would be better than RG3.  This is a really bad draft to need a QB.

I read somewhere that Charlton's middle name is Taco.  His first name is Harry.

The name came when the OB/Gyn looked between his mother's legs when he was born and said, "Damn, that looks like one huge hairy taco" and H. Taco Charlton was born.

:rsju31uh9:

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I read somewhere that Charlton's middle name is Taco.  His first name is Harry.

The name came when the OB/Gyn looked between his mother's legs when he was born and said, "Damn, that looks like one huge hairy taco" and H. Taco Charlton was born.

:rsju31uh9:

High School Harry Taco?

19 hours ago, Jason said:

Only 1 safety currently in the draft (other than Peppers) is in that range.  If Hooker declares I think he'd be up there too.  But realistically, will the Bengals consider a S at 9?  I seriously doubt it.

Malik Hooker has declared.

Disclaimer - I have not watched one game of college football this year.

The draft is going to be an odd one... If you look at the team, Offense was in the mid 20's, Defense just missed the top 10.

However, where are the holes on offense? Dalton and McCarron can play. Gio and Hill have the RB position locked up. We just drafted two Tackles. IMHO, Whit is back. WR has AJ and an emerging Boyd and Core. Do we draft another TE because Eifert is brittle? At #9?

Going by Mel Kiper alone... We don't have a real offensive position of need at #9 that can be filled. On D - you can never have too many pass rushers, and the LB corpse is still the weak link.

We could use a better edge rush, and I'd like to see Maualuga play for the Browns or something. The little bit I've read about Foster - Big hitter, crazy as f***, decent against the pass - I'd enjoy watching him on the bench while Vinny Rey takes his snaps for the year.

Archived