If Marvin isn't going what about assistants?

On 1/4/2017 at 7:19 PM, Madieu Superstar said:

I was hoping Alexander would go. You would think a move would need to be made before the Senior Bowl. 

Same here, but as my sainted grandmother used to say; "Hope in one hand and shit in the other".  Mikey's protected him for this long, hell he's officially the Assistant HC for some bizarre reason. I mean, the Bengals have only paid him however-many hundred thousand of dollars over the last 20 years. How will he feed his family  stable of Lipizzan stallions?

"The Washington Redskins have announced that they will not retain four assistant coaches, including defensive coordinator Joe Barry. Others let go include defensive line coach Robb Akey, defensive backs coach Perry Fewell and head strength and conditioning coach Mike Clark."

You don't think Gruden would make some sort of move to get Paulie G.  Lateral move and could be blocked but some hocus pocus to sweeten the pot. Losing him or Zampese or Alexander would be like an enema to clear out the blockage in our shitty coaching staff.  Of course, the main cause of our coaching constipation is the big turd in front.

15 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Of course, the main cause of our coaching constipation is the big turd in front.

Yep, the only two constants at this point are Marvin and Alexander.

edit: forgot Darrin Simmons (credit to CincyInDC) but he's been pretty good IMO

I can see why they would keep Guenther.  His unit got better as the season progressed.  Zampese on the other hand....

Why it took so long for Zampese to move up the coaching ladder is the first signal this guy may be deficient.  Even with the holes on the o-line the offense produced numbers, but no points when they needed them.  The whole thing looked like a gongshow and I really saw no improvement.  If a good offensive coordinator was available they would be foolish not to jump and hire him.  They have the tools.  Assuming they sign Whitworth and Zeitler they just need another tackle and a center....and a running back....and another receiver that is some kind of deep threat to take the pressure off Green.  Well, maybe Zampese does get a break here.  

9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yep, the only two constants at this point are Marvin and Alexander.

edit: forgot Darrin Simmons (credit to CincyInDC) but he's been pretty good IMO

The scary thing about Alexander is he also has Assistant Head Coach in his title!  lol

That would suck if he got bumped up in Marvin's absence.  :Why-min: 

I bet this guy wishes he could take back this article he wrote on June, 9, 2016!  lolol

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/6/9/11889966/paul-alexander-gaining-recognition-among-best-offensive-line-coaches

2 hours ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

The scary thing about Alexander is he also has Assistant Head Coach in his title!  lol

That would suck if he got bumped up in Marvin's absence.  :Why-min: 

I bet this guy wishes he could take back this article he wrote on June, 9, 2016!  lolol

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/6/9/11889966/paul-alexander-gaining-recognition-among-best-offensive-line-coaches

Yeh I mean he has a perennial All-Pro LT but otherwise..  He never got Smith anywhere near his potential and between the two has pretty much been a mess.  Talking up the likes of Livings or Roland.. I guess the interior got a little better towards the end of the year against some shitty or unmotivated opponents? Woohoo!  If anyone cares to explain how he is assisting our head coach I'd love to know.   

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Yeh I mean he has a perennial All-Pro LT but otherwise..  He never got Smith anywhere near his potential and between the two has pretty much been a mess.  Talking up the likes of Livings or Roland.. I guess the interior got a little better towards the end of the year against some shitty or unmotivated opponents? Woohoo!  If anyone cares to explain how he is assisting our head coach I'd love to know.   

He also kept all-pro EvanMathis on the bench for Nasty Nate Livings

14 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

He also kept all-pro EvanMathis on the bench for Nasty Nate Livings

Yeah that's what I was referring to there, along with calling Roland the line's "best technician".  Like that somehow makes up for a total lack of ability?

The OL's play fell of a cliff this year compared to the last two.  You mentioning Andre Smith, I'm in 

agreement with you there that he didn't come close to reaching his potential.  As much as I don't

care for Alexander I think a lot of that fell on Andre himself.  That year he was a FA, the Bengals left

him out to dry and he couldn't even get a sniff from any other teams and finally ended up re-signing.

He just seems like a tenured coach, what with the Assistant HC tag & being a pre-Marvin holdover.  Then again, so does Marvin himself at this point.  I don't think there's any denying that the team woefully underperformed this season, yet there he sits not only secure in his job but infuriatingly smug about it.  I've been a big supporter of him in the past but I'm convinced he's already taken the team as far as he can and worse, that refusing to move on is causing the team to become equally complacent and they're starting to unravel. It's like he's undoing a lot of his own hard work.

I don't understand how this roster goes 6-9-1 and they're not immediately making some changes.

So I was listening to the Bengals Beat Podcast with Jim O and Denher and they mentioned it wasn't a stone-cold lock that Zamp is back next year. They thought it was going to play out a little bit. Also mentioned that Bob didn't get fired until after they coached the North-South game so they could be taking their time on this.

I'd be surprised if they did boot him since he was missing so many components due to injury and the black hole on the offensive line really made things tough but he was pretty miserable inside the red zone. He did some wacky shit there including running Gio from the one yard multiple times and throwing a fade without ever giving the ball to the best goal-line back in the NFL.

2 hours ago, JC said:

So I was listening to the Bengals Beat Podcast with Jim O and Denher and they mentioned it wasn't a stone-cold lock that Zamp is back next year. They thought it was going to play out a little bit. Also mentioned that Bob didn't get fired until after they coached the North-South game so they could be taking their time on this.

I'd be surprised if they did boot him since he was missing so many components due to injury and the black hole on the offensive line really made things tough but he was pretty miserable inside the red zone. He did some wacky shit there including running Gio from the one yard multiple times and throwing a fade without ever giving the ball to the best goal-line back in the NFL.

When watching Marv's final press conference, he wouldn't confirm that they would be bringing back the entire coaching staff. I guess thats where it comes from. I was hoping for a Paul A and Zamp to go. Marvin took a risk and hired Jay Gruden and it worked out. Why not try again?

On 1/7/2017 at 7:50 AM, JC said:

He did some wacky shit there including running Gio from the one yard multiple times and throwing a fade without ever giving the ball to the best goal-line back in the NFL.

Not really true. From the 1 yard line Gio only had two carries all year.  

Hill had 9 carries from the one yard line and only scored twice.  He was far from automatic.  Zampese had to ery some different things because Hill had so much trouble getting in from the 1.

Firing a coach or coordinator after just one season is bush league.  that is what losing teams are always doing.  Every coordinator deserves at least 2 seasons to prove himself.  

If the bengals were among the worst offenses in the league then there might be an argumenbt, but the Bengals offense were pretty much middle of the pack.

On 06/01/2017 at 2:11 PM, Madieu Superstar said:

It seems he has struggled evaluating OL prospects from spread offenses.

We've hit on Boling, Whitworth, and Zeitler.

We've missed on Ogbuehi, Bodine, Fisher. 

Each hit came from a pro style offense. Each miss came from the spread the spread offense. 

We haven't missed on Fisher. He's been ok so far.

1 hour ago, EnglishBengal said:

We haven't missed on Fisher. He's been ok so far.

Yeah, if you compare him to Ogbuehi.

The fact is that he's a second round pick, he's going into his third year, we really need him to be a starter, and we still have no idea whether he's capable. His play wasn't Ogbuehi-awful, but it wasn't good either. 

Archived