Bengals working on a trade for McCarron?

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2017/01/02/Cincinnati-Bengals-working-to-trade-QB-AJ-McCarron/3251483395229/

Cincinnati Bengals working to trade QB A.J. McCarron

By Alex Butler   |   Jan. 2, 2017 at 5:28 PM

CINCINNATI, Jan. 2 (UPI) -- Despite its 6-9-1 record, the Cincinnati Bengals were recently touted as having one of the deepest rosters in the NFL.

This offseason, it will look to trade some of that depth at a key position. According to Paul Dehner of the Cincinnati Enquirer, trading backup quarterback A.J. McCarron"is a part of the offseason itinerary."

Dehner wrote that it is a "matter of when, where and who will provide the most value."

Jim Owczarski wrote Monday that McCarron "looked and sounded like a man saying his goodbyes."

"Now, it's nothing I can do," McCarron told the Enquirer. "I try not to worry about it. You're always gonna think about it. I'd be lyin'; whoever told you that I wouldn't, or if they were going through the same situation, you're going to think about it. Because you want to play as a competitor. I'll let my agent handle everything and go with whatever he says."

In March, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio that McCarron would not be traded during the offseason.

Now the Bengals could have a hard time in getting a big return for the backup. Last offseason, the Houston Texans signed former Denver Broncos backup quarterback Brock Osweiler to a four-year $72 million contract. Osweiler, who had just seven career starts prior to the signing, went on to be benched in Houston. This season, he completed just 59 percent of his passes for 2,957 yards, 15 touchdowns, and 16 interceptions.

McCaron, 26, has completed 79-of-119 passes for 854 yards, six touchdowns, and two interceptions in seven games for the Bengals. He completed 23-of-41 passes for 212 yards, a score, and an interception in the Bengals' 2015 AFC Wildcard loss to the Pittsburgh Stealers. McCarron is due $735,413 next season before hitting free agency in 2018.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

McCoooooooter!!! Nooo

:(:(:(

Mrs. McCoooooooter!!! Nooo

anim_bouncingboobs.gifanim_bouncingboobs.gifanim_bouncingboobs.gif

25 minutes ago, SF2 said:

He won't get 72 mil but will get way more than he is now and have a shot at the starting roll.

To Hell with what he gets, what will WE get?

(I know, thank you Capt. Obvious)

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

He won't get 72 mil but will get way more than he is now and have a shot at the starting roll.

Not necessarily.  He's still under contract, so a team that trades for him does not have to negotiate a new one.  That's why he's attractive, you can get him for less than 750k and get a chance to see him play before you have to pay.

To Hell with what he gets, what will WE get?
(I know, thank you Capt. Obvious)

That's the $1,000,000 question.

It's going to take at least one premium (1-3) pick to make it worthwhile. And, in my mind, a 3rd but itself is probably not worth giving up a solid insurance policy like McCarron.

I think a mid-to-late 2nd is probably what fair looks like.

A 3rd & a 4th? Probably fair, but not really attractive to a team like the Bengals that doesn't need a whole lot of depth.

What I'd love is something that burns some Bengals picks, but gets the Bengals back into the Top 40 or so picks... McCarron and a 3rd for a late 1/early 2. Something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

A 2nd this year and conditional 2nd for next year that could be a first depending on playing time.

I'd take that without hesitation.

Like I've alway said, you should drafting and dealing QBs every year. Highest premium position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Driskel.

Or maybe a free agent.

Nick Foles-Chiefs: Foles has 35 career starts and a lifetime 88.1 passer rating. He is on his 3rd team despite being just 27. This year he threw for 410 yards, 3-0 and 65%. He is due 10.75 Million in 2017 with 0 dead cap.

Brian Hoyer-Bears: Hoyer had some quality starts for the Bears this year and wasn’t terrible for the Texans in 2015. He has 31 career starts and a passer rating of 98 in 2016 and 91.4 in 2015. This year he had 1,445 yards, 6-0 and 67%. He’s played for 5 teams in his career.

Landry Jones-Stealers: Jones has 4 starts over his career with the Stealers. This year he has filled in well with 558 yards, 4-2 and 61%.

Matt Barkley-Bears: Barkley wasn’t good enough for the Cardinals or the Eagles but was ok at times for the Bears. He had the only 6 starts of his career this season throwing for 1,611 yards, 8-14 and 59.7%. He had 3 300 yard games.

Geno Smith-Jets: Smith has 30 career starts but is coming off an ACL tear and a broken jaw.

Ryan Fitzpatrick-Jets: Fitzpatrick held out and then played very poorly with 12 tds and 17 ints. He is a veteran though with 116 career starts.1

Case Keenum-Rams: Keenum started for most of the year and was not inspiring. He’s got 25 career starts in Houston and LA. This year he threw for 2,201 yards, 9-11 and 61%. 

7 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Nick Foles-Chiefs: Foles has 35 career starts and a lifetime 88.1 passer rating. He is on his 3rd team despite being just 27. This year he threw for 410 yards, 3-0 and 65%. He is due 10.75 Million in 2017 with 0 dead cap.

Brian Hoyer-Bears: Hoyer had some quality starts for the Bears this year and wasn’t terrible for the Texans in 2015. He has 31 career starts and a passer rating of 98 in 2016 and 91.4 in 2015. This year he had 1,445 yards, 6-0 and 67%. He’s played for 5 teams in his career.

Landry Jones-Stealers: Jones has 4 starts over his career with the Stealers. This year he has filled in well with 558 yards, 4-2 and 61%.

Matt Barkley-Bears: Barkley wasn’t good enough for the Cardinals or the Eagles but was ok at times for the Bears. He had the only 6 starts of his career this season throwing for 1,611 yards, 8-14 and 59.7%. He had 3 300 yard games.

Geno Smith-Jets: Smith has 30 career starts but is coming off an ACL tear and a broken jaw.

Ryan Fitzpatrick-Jets: Fitzpatrick held out and then played very poorly with 12 tds and 17 ints. He is a veteran though with 116 career starts.1

Case Keenum-Rams: Keenum started for most of the year and was not inspiring. He’s got 25 career starts in Houston and LA. This year he threw for 2,201 yards, 9-11 and 61%. 

If we trade McCarron I would love to see us go after EJ Manuel, he's a free agent that will not be back with Bills. He has all the physical attributes you look for but just needs some good coaching. 

Hoyer and Foles would also be good options to back up Andy. 

1 minute ago, Le Tigre said:

I would rather no trade at all, but if playing the game:

Fitz

That is all.

You seriously want the Bengals to sign Ryan Fitzpatrick? Have you not watched a Jets game in the past 2 years.

Fitz is the worst QB in the NFL by far, in the 14 games he played this year he threw more INT's than TD's 50% of the time including one game where he threw 6 INT's and 0 TD's. 

You meant Foles right????

The teams that need a QB all pick in the top 10.  So if we get a second It would be very close to getting a first.

Don't know if McCarron will get that high of a pick in the second round, but I am think like Big Alice  Throw in one of our draft picks along with Mccarron in order to get one of those picks in the top 40.

McCarron's trade value is increased because this is the worst QB draft class I have seen in a long time. Desperation and over valuation of the QB position will push someone into the first round, but there will not be a QB with a top ten ranking where all the teams who need a QB will be drafting.  So they will be looking to us the early second round pick to trade for or select a QB.

Mccarron's value goes down some if Garapolo is on the market ( and I assume he is).

3 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

The teams that need a QB all pick in the top 10.  So if we get a second It would eb very close to getting a first.

Don't know if McCarron will get that high of a pick in the second round, but I am think like BengalFanatic.  Throw in one of our draft picks along with Mccarron to get one of those picks in the top 40.

McCarron's trade value is increased because this is the worst QB draft class I have seen in a long time. Desperation and over valuation of the QB position will push someone into the firat round, but There will not be  QB with a top ten ranking where all the teams who need a QB will be drafting.  So they will be looking to us the early second round pick to trade for or select a QB.

Mccarron's value goes down some if Garapolo is on the market ( and I assume he is).

If the Pats win another SB, and they are the odds on favorite to so, I think Brady will retire and Garapolo will be the starter in NE. He will be 40 in August and have won 5 SB's and 4 MVP's, a feat no other QB has done in the history of the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Better to draft some rookie with upside then pay too much for a high end experienced backup.    Even a scrub like Case Keenum was paid 3.64 mil this year.

Hoyer got 2 mil.

Didn't Chase Danials get something like $7 million to be a back up?

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

You seriously want the Bengals to sign Ryan Fitzpatrick? Have you not watched a Jets game in the past 2 years.

Fitz is the worst QB in the NFL by far, in the 14 games he played this year he threw more INT's than TD's 50% of the time including one game where he threw 6 INT's and 0 TD's. 

You meant Foles right????

I did no misprint.  

Fitz

That is all.

Archived