Bengals block Paul Guenther from interviewing for Redskins DC job

24 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Hobson says the coaching staff looks to be staying intact. Well I guess the fanbase will be super motivated to go to the games next year. 

Meh, they no longer need to sell out games to get that sweet TV advertising money & the Mike Brown Home for Wayward Youth will still get their donations from the NFL profit-sharing scheme.  What's a few thousand tickets one way or the other against all that?

17 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Paulie G announced back in late December that he was returning to the Bengals.

So why did the Bengals have to deny an interview?

So people want Pauly fired now, just for a change? WTF?

Also Bengals have a rule you can't interview for another position unless it's a head coaching position. Honor your contract.

13 minutes ago, BronxBengal said:

Will someone please interview the Maestro the great O line coach Paul Alexander. Someone please take this loser of a coach out of Bengals organization. Please take him

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

Yeah you'd think a 20-something year OL coach/Assistant HC would be on somebody's short list, wouldn't you? Even the Bengals passed him over in favor of Zamkowski.

I guess Alexander must be "well-respected around the league" as well.

Yeah you'd think a 20-something year OL coach/Assistant HC would be on somebody's short list, wouldn't you? Even the Bengals passed him over in favor of Zamkowski.

I guess Alexander must be "well-respected around the league" as well.

Not once that I can remember. Not one interview request. That should be a red flag...

Sent from my iPad using Go-Bengals.com

11 hours ago, Cat said:

Not once that I can remember. Not one interview request. That should be a red flag...

Sent from my iPad using Go-Bengals.com

Patriots had the same O-line coach for 20 years and they are genius.  Bengals do it and people claim it is proof he is a scrub.

Monte Kiffen was considered an elite DC for years and no one ever offered to hire him as a head coach.  It is possible for an assitant coach to be very good at his job and never get a promotion.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Patriots had the same O-line coach for 20 years and they are genius.  Bengals do it and people claim it is proof he is a scrub.

Monte Kiffen was considered an elite DC for years and no one ever offered to hire him as a head coach.  It is possible for an assitant coach to be very good at his job and never get a promotion.

Except the Patriots were winning Super Bowls, and we were employing the likes of Ghiaciuc, Dennis Roland, Nate Livings...

I wonder if the Bengals blocked Guenther from interviewing because he asked them to.  To keep him from turning down his bud, Gruden.  Maybe he thinks he has a shot at the HC job here (or MikeandKatie have whispered in his ear... "Some day, this will all be yours...").

Also seeing that Vance Joseph is a hot prospect for HC.  And we have... the Goofy of the NFL.

3 hours ago, Cat said:

Except the Patriots were winning Super Bowls, and we were employing the likes of Ghiaciuc, Dennis Roland, Nate Livings...

Doesn't change the fact that just because a guy has been in the same position for years does not mean he is bad at his job.

Just last year Sports Illustrated picked Paul Alexander as the best O-line coach in the league.  Over the first 8 years that PFF kept rankings on Offensive lines the Bengals unit ranked number one in pass protection.  And they were consistent alos.  They were ranked lower than 6th only once.

The Bengals have struggled with run blocking over the past few years, but PA is a pass blocking guru.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Also seeing that Vance Joseph is a hot prospect for HC.  And we have... the Goofy of the NFL.

I don't get it. Joseph's defense was ranked 29th or so this year and didn't do anything to stop the Stealers yesterday. I know they a lot of injuries but that defense was real bad.

11 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Doesn't change the fact that just because a guy has been in the same position for years does not mean he is bad at his job.

Just last year Sports Illustrated picked Paul Alexander as the best O-line coach in the league.  Over the first 8 years that PFF kept rankings on Offensive lines the Bengals unit ranked number one in pass protection.  And they were consistent alos.  They were ranked lower than 6th only once.

The Bengals have struggled with run blocking over the past few years, but PA is a pass blocking guru.

Too many verifiable facts. Stop that.

23 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Maybe SI can hook the team up with one of those Lombardi's then? 

Kidding aside - what good is a pass block ranking when the run blocking sucks? Why does Alexander get a free pass when his unit does half of the job really well?

On 1/9/2017 at 1:40 PM, whodey365 said:

I don't get it. Joseph's defense was ranked 29th or so this year and didn't do anything to stop the Stealers yesterday. I know they a lot of injuries but that defense was real bad.

Miami has no talent at LB or in their secondary...their best CB is a former WR and their best LB is Kiko Alonso. Give him some talent and see what he can do, not to mention the Dolphin started the season 1-4 but won 9 out of 11 games to finish. That shows that once this coaching staff got everyone on the same page they were able to win consistently despite have a not so talented roster.

Everywhere he has gone the teams have a had success, it's not a coincidence. Hell MB wanted him to replace Marvin but he will probably be off the market before that is an option.  

On 1/9/2017 at 7:56 AM, fredtoast said:

Sometimes position coaches or coordinators don't want to be a HC, they are comfortable in their current role and don't want to change. The grass isn't always greener and many times coaches end up back where they started, i.e. DC promoted to HC, doesn't work out, goes back to being a DC. In hindsight if they would have just stayed a DC they wouldn't have had to move their family, change teams, experience the stress of getting fired, etc..

2 hours ago, Cat said:

Kidding aside - what good is a pass block ranking when the run blocking sucks? Why does Alexander get a free pass when his unit does half of the job really well?

Mainly because the NFL is a passing league now.

I agree that we need to improve our run blocking.  I am just pointing out that Paul Alexander is not the clown some people claim.

I am still confused.  Can someone answer this question for me?  If Guenther is not under contract with the bengals for '17 then how can they block him from interviewing with other teams?  Guenther signed a three-year deal in January '14.  2016 was his last season.  I can not find anything anywhere that says he has re-signed with the Bengals.

What am I missing here?

Archived