La La Land

Danger, Will Robinson ...

Saw this piece of shit and am appalled by how piss poor it is and how the hoity toity Kool Aid cleb slobbering crew is felching this grossly overhyped atrocity.  No kidding.  Zero plot... well, there is one but the only surprise is there are no surprises.  Lead actor and actress can't sing or dance that well (saw some reviewers recommend dubbing).  And how much screen time was spent with close ups of the actors faces?  I found myself wondering if Emma Whatever was a refugee from the Roswell crash site with all the views of her big googly  eyes.  If you woke up in the middle of the night with her staring down at you, you should feel your ass to see if you are getting an anal probe.  John Legend has had so many face peels that he looks like a billiard ball.  Any comment about his role in the movie would be racist in today's society.  When  it was over, a few of the ultra hip gave it a standing ovation (are you fucking kidding me?) to show how cutting edge artsy fartsy and with it they were.  They probably eat Gray Poupon out of the jar with a latte spoon and raised pinky.

To be fair, it was very sleep inducing.  Which I did.  Saw it at the Mariemont (speaking of artsy fartsy) and while walking across the street to the National Exemplar for dinner, I heard the old guy in front of me say the same thing.

So when your sweetie buns tries to talk you in to seeing this maggot gagger, tell her you think you're coming down with explosive diarrhea and stay home and re watch Breaking Bad.

53 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Musicals not your thing?

Not that one.  Just saw where it set a record for most wins at the Golden Globes.

Have you seen it?  Not sure if I hope so so you can agree/refute or hope not so you can avoid the pain.  I'm leaning toward the palookas on here would hate it and regret losing a couple hours of their life and few bucks but... well, I'm sure there are some who would be argumentative just for the sake of being argumentative.

10 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Saw this piece of shit and am appalled by how piss poor it is and how the hoity toity Kool Aid cleb slobbering crew is felching this grossly overhyped atrocity.  No kidding.  Zero plot... well, there is one but the only surprise is there are no surprises.  Lead actor and actress can't sing or dance that well (saw some reviewers recommend dubbing).  And how much screen time was spent with close ups of the actors faces?  I found myself wondering if Emma Whatever was a refugee from the Roswell crash site with all the views of her big googly  eyes.  If you woke up in the middle of the night with her staring down at you, you should feel your ass to see if you are getting an anal probe.  John Legend has had so many face peels that he looks like a billiard ball.  Any comment about his role in the movie would be racist in today's society.  When  it was over, a few of the ultra hip gave it a standing ovation (are you fucking kidding me?) to show how cutting edge artsy fartsy and with it they were.  They probably eat Gray Poupon out of the jar with a latte spoon and raised pinky.

To be fair, it was very sleep inducing.  Which I did.  Saw it at the Mariemont (speaking of artsy fartsy) and while walking across the street to the National Exemplar for dinner, I heard the old guy in front of me say the same thing.

So when your sweetie buns tries to talk you in to seeing this maggot gagger, tell her you think you're coming down with explosive diarrhea and stay home and re watch Breaking Bad.

:lol:

11 hours ago, High School Harry said:

hmm, this is literally there first negative thing I've heard about La La Land.

6 minutes ago, Bengals1181 said:

hmm, this is literally there first negative thing I've heard about La La Land.

http://www.fandango.com/lalaland_188460/moviereviews

Not sure if that will work but its the fan reviews on Fandango.  I'm in there somewhere with a 1 star.  Yeah, mostly 4-5 star by far, super high on Rotten Tomatoes but I found myself agreeing with the one star people.

7 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Yes I saw it, I liked it but think the adoration its getting is over the top. I thought it tried a little too hard to be "Old Hollywood"

Agree but missed a few main points.  I will admit that I did not really get and get into the old musicals until later in life.  Fred and Ginger are a cliche but watching him move, his footwork is amazing.  And no one can even come close to saying Gene Kelly is not masculine when he dances.  Even Jimmy Cagney in Yankee Doodle Dandy with the tap dance (a variation of Irish Step Dancing that I wonder if he learned as a boy)  in phenomenal.

One thing La La missed badly was some sort of diversion from Gos and Emma being pretty like Danny Kaye running up walls and back flipping in Singing in the Rain. Or the dance number with animated Tom and Jerry before CGI  in Anchors Aweigh.  John Legend being smarmy and cool just didn't cut it.  And J.K. Simmons had one little finger pop but that was about it.  Technicolor, pretty people, pretty scenery, the large cast dances were good but...  I thought hollow and contrived.

Maybe that's it.  When compared to the originals going all the way back it looked contrived and forced.

If you see it, I hope you like it more than my lady friend and I.

Archived