Help for '17 already on the roster?

Most fans are hoping that Jackson and Billings step in and help improve this team in '17, but who else do you have hopes for playing a bigger role next year?

-Derron Smith only played about 100 snaps on defense last year.  He is a little small to be an every down safety, but I think he can be effective as a "cover safety" playing in certain packages like a slot CB.

-DeShawn Williams looked good in preseason, but so do a lot of scrubs.  He also may be a little small to be an every down DT, but our D-line needs to get back to a heavy rotation.  I think he could be effective as an inside pass rusher.

-Tyler Kroft and C J Uzomah.  I had high hopes for both of these very athletic TEs, but despite Eifert being out so much last year neither really stepped up and established himself as a legit receiving threat.  Kroft was injured so maybe he will be more productive in '17.

37 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

How much do they actually think of Westerman? They signed a guy (Hopkins) off of the PS and activated him that Sunday before letting Westerman even wear a jersey. Does that say anything?

It tells me that Westerman did not fully satisfy the Marvin Lewis required rookie redshirt period.

22 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

How much do they actually think of Westerman? They signed a guy (Hopkins) off of the PS and activated him that Sunday before letting Westerman even wear a jersey. Does that say anything?

Westerman was just a rookie.  I'll wait at least another year before passing judgement on him.  But a lot of fans like him.  I think some of it has to do with the fact that some random draft "expert" somewhere said Westerman could be moved to center in the NFL.  The hatred for Bodine was so deep that I think a lot of people supported Westerman for no other reason than he could possibly replace Russell.

I don't recall Westerman doing anything special in the preseason.

4 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Most fans are hoping that Jackson and Billings step in and help improve this team in '17, but who else do you have hopes for playing a bigger role next year?

-Derron Smith only played about 100 snaps on defense last year.  He is a little small to be an every down safety, but I think he can be effective as a "cover safety" playing in certain packages like a slot CB.

-DeShawn Williams looked good in preseason, but so do a lot of scrubs.  He also may be a little small to be an every down DT, but our D-line needs to get back to a heavy rotation.  I think he could be effective as an inside pass rusher.

-Tyler Kroft and C J Uzomah.  I had high hopes for both of these very athletic TEs, but despite Eifert being out so much last year neither really stepped up and established himself as a legit receiving threat.  Kroft was injured so maybe he will be more productive in '17.

I think Vigil, Flowers, and Clayton F should get some more snaps on defense, I would like to see what they could do with more playing time. 

1 hour ago, Dautcom08 said:

It tells me that Westerman did not fully satisfy the Marvin Lewis required rookie redshirt period.

Why do people say things like this?

Tyler Boyd

Jeremy Hill

Russell Bodine

Tyler Eifert

Giovani Bernard

Kevin Zeitler

Andy Dalton

A J Green

Jermaine Gresham

Carlos Dunlap

Jordan Shipley

Rey Maualuga

etc

etc

etc

1 minute ago, fredtoast said:

Why do people say things like this?

Tyler Boyd

Jeremy Hill

Russell Bodine

Tyler Eifert

Giovani Bernard

Kevin Zeitler

Andy Dalton

A J Green

Jermaine Gresham

Carlos Dunlap

Jordan Shipley

Rey Maualuga

etc

etc

etc

I'll tell you why I do... b/c you put 12 guys on there.  How many rookies have been in the system over the time frame from your list?  I mean Maualuga has been in the league for what 8 years?  I personally think the lack of meaningful playing time for younger guys that you are eventually going to HAVE to rely on is one of the bigger fails that this organization repeats.

25 minutes ago, rcarpenter62 said:

I'll tell you why I do... b/c you put 12 guys on there.  How many rookies have been in the system over the time frame from your list?  I mean Maualuga has been in the league for what 8 years?  I personally think the lack of meaningful playing time for younger guys that you are eventually going to HAVE to rely on is one of the bigger fails that this organization repeats.

How many rookies start for good teams?  I doubt the average is more than 1 or 2.  That is right in line with what the bengals do.

The offensive philosophy is about depth.   With that said,  Westerman at this point is about the depth.  Could he start and contribute  ?  Yes.   Could he play Center  ?  Yes.   He has shown that he has capability to dominate his defensive opponent during the preseason.   Can't remember what formation or play was being ran but I do believe it was goal line situation.   There are pictures out there of him pancaking his opponent and of him lifting a Bengal's player like a ragdoll in the endzone.

Only time will tell us the reality of his true ability.   I am biased and I believe he will be one of the best. 

13 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

How many rookies start for good teams?  I doubt the average is more than 1 or 2.  That is right in line with what the bengals do.

I think you would be very hard pressed to find as many early round picks that get as few snaps as this team.  I don't necessarily argue that starting a bunch of rookies can be counter-productive, but I think finding minutes for them is so important for development.  It is just a pet peeve of mine.

6 hours ago, fredtoast said:

I am indeed hoping Billings competes at the NT spot but aside from him, someone who hasn't been mentioned yet is Boyd.  He looked good & I would not be entirely surprised if they let LaFell walk.  I'd be inclined to keep him another year for stability at a reasonable $ figure but I think we'd be ok without him.

42 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I am indeed hoping Billings competes at the NT spot but aside from him, someone who hasn't been mentioned yet is Boyd.  He looked good & I would not be entirely surprised if they let LaFell walk.  I'd be inclined to keep him another year for stability at a reasonable $ figure but I think we'd be ok without him.

I remember Dehner saying he wasn't that impressive in camp before he got hurt. I've tempered my expectations but hopefully he surprises us. 

45 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I remember Dehner saying he wasn't that impressive in camp before he got hurt. I've tempered my expectations but hopefully he surprises us. 

Lots of fans went crazy when we drafted Billings.  Many would have used a second round pick on him.  But I also remember that he was not doing that great in camp.

Isn't it crazy to think that we also got both Peko and atkins in the fourth round?

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Along the lines of Boyd, I'd also add more touches for Burkhead as candidate for inclusion in this topic.  Admittedly that was discussed at some length in another thread recently with mixed reviews.

2 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

Should DT be higher up on the list of needs? Billings is an unknown, Peko is totally ineffective and a free agent, Sims is just a guy, Hunt took snaps at DT and is a free agent.

How often does that DT position play? Isn't the 4th starter really a DE/DT hybrid?

6 hours ago, rcarpenter62 said:

Approximately 60 players have been picked since 2009. He listed 12 that played. So you have a one in five chance of playing as a rookie. 

3 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Approximately 60 players have been picked since 2009. He listed 12 that played. So you have a one in five chance of playing as a rookie. 

In the real world, 20% of the people do 80% of the work. Why should football be different.

5 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

Along the lines of Boyd, I'd also add more touches for Burkhead as candidate for inclusion in this topic.  Admittedly that was discussed at some length in another thread recently with mixed reviews.

Burkhead is a FA that will probably not be back with the team. We had him for 4 years and waited until the last game of him being under contract to start him, why would he come back here when he has other options.

13 hours ago, Numbers said:

The offensive philosophy is about depth.   With that said,  Westerman at this point is about the depth.  Could he start and contribute  ?  Yes.   Could he play Center  ?  Yes.   He has shown that he has capability to dominate his defensive opponent during the preseason.   Can't remember what formation or play was being ran but I do believe it was goal line situation.   There are pictures out there of him pancaking his opponent and of him lifting a Bengal's player like a ragdoll in the endzone.

Only time will tell us the reality of his true ability.   I am biased and I believe he will be one of the best. 

I wanted to see more of him and was disappointed that we did not.  A real head scratcher to me but I guess the coaches were looking at other things.  I mean, God forbid he come in for a few plays and show up Ogbuhei for being the terrible player and even worse wasted pick he was.

Archived