Tackle need in the offseason

As far as I can tell ignoring the guys that may return in free agency I see our needs as: 2nd WR, LT, C, RG, RT, K, LDT, RDE, SLB, MLB, S, CB, CB, Backup QB, RB Depth. These are at all kinds of different levels. Some can be filled in house, some will be filled with re-signed free agents, some will have to come from the draft or free agency.

·        Andrew Whitworth (UFA) 6-7 330, 35. 164 career starts.

o       Whitworth is solid still at 35. This team probably goes nowhere without a strong left tackle because of how poorly Dalton has been historically when he has faced pressure. He is a must re-sign.

·        Cedric Ogbuehi 6-5 310, 24. 12 career starts

o       Ced was very poor in his second year with the Bengals. He was especially bad at RT and was quoted as saying he is not a RT. Whit will hopefully play LT next year and with Ogbuehi backing him up and then Ced will be heading into his year 4 year in 2018. I don’t see a way that we pick up his 5th year option. He is not an option at RT. PFF says that he was “at fault for nine sacks and 40 total QB pressures in 11 games.

·        Eric Winston 6-7 310, 33 125 career starts

o       Winston started 2 games last year for the Bengals and has been an ok backup for the team.

·        Jake Fisher 6-6 305, 23. 4 career starts

o       Fisher started at RT for 3 games this year. Was better than Ogbuehi but not good enough to say the spot is solidified

·        Andre Smith 6-4 325, 29. 77 career starts

o       We love getting back our ex free agents. While Andre didn’t fare well last year it wouldn’t be out of the question to see him back in stripes. A triceps injury led him to start just 4 games for the Vikings.

·        Sebastian Vollmer 6-8 320 32. 80 career starts

o       Vollmer probably won’t be back in NE after a shoulder injury put him out for the year and they signed his replacement long term

·        Byron Bell 6-5 340, 27 72 career starts

o       Bell injured his ankle, was out all of last year and was replaced by rookie Jack Conklin. Likely to be available

·        Menelik Watson 6-5 315, 28 17 career starts

o       Former second rounder regained a starting position at RT by the end of the year.

·        Gosder Cherilus 6-7 316, 32 116 career starts

o       Relegated to a backup role last year with 3 starts. Likely to be available.

·        Jordan Mills 6-5 316, 26 50 career starts

o       Started 16 games at RT for the Bills last year a position they will look to upgrade

·        Marshall Newhouse 6-4 328, 28 56 career starts

o       Newhouse started 5 games for us in 2014 and was not impressive. Since he has started 20 games for the Giants

·        Ben Ijilana 6-4 322, 27 13 career starts

o       Started at both RT(6) and LT (7) for the Jets this year

Projection: Whitworth is a must re-sign. The offense doesn’t go without him. Franchise him if you have to (I don’t really think we have to.) When I started this I assumed I would conclude that we should draft a tackle early and re-sign Winston.  I still think that is a smart option given Whit’s age and the unknowns in Ced and Fisher. However, after seeing the group that is available in Free Agency I think there is another option that might be better. Sign one of a handful of guys, Vollmer, Bell, Watson, Smith or Cherilus and pencil them in at starting RT and/or let them compete with Fisher for the position. That gives us more stability at tackle if Fisher can’t make it. A tackle grouping of Whit, Ogbuehi, Fisher and FA (Vollmer-Bell-Smith-Watson and Cherilus. The position isn’t solved but it’s more stable with a vet, even an injured or aged one. I think that one of them will be available for an affordable deal. I’d probably prefer Vollmer or Bell.

I feel good about fisher's future. Ced O? He may be better at G. Whitworth is a LEADER but age ALWAYS catches up, so, not a long term.  I'd think we look for VALUE, but not another high pick rookie.  I do like Ohio St c/G Elflein. but not as a top 10 pick.  We have to sweat keeping Zeitler.

I think there are really 3 options. 

1. Sign a free agent cheap: This one allows the 2 guys we have to still potentially develop but doesn't solidify anything because of the questions that surround every player, basically what makes them available. 

2. Draft a Tackle early: This one helps solidify the position for year, presumably but ignores the 2 guys we have on the roster already and forces us to not draft at another position. 

3. Draft a Tackle mid rounds: This one solidifies nothing but gives us a potential player at the spot. 

Archived