Bengals OL Cedric Ogbuehi: 2016 was a shit year

3 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

WTF does this even mean?  You think the Bengals should cut every guy who is not going to be an All-Pro, HOF quality player?

No, but if they don't have the potential to be one they should be looking for competition for one that can potentially be an All-Pro, HOF caliber player. Keep adding competition until you get the best possible player available, iron sharpens iron. 

Currently the Bengals have a few All Pro caliber players: Green, Whit, Dunlap, Atkins, and Burfict(when he is in shape and playing smart football). Outside of that every position could be upgraded by a better player, imo. Would I cut everyone else except for those guys? No, but I would try to find them competition that can push them to be better or replace them at some point. 

Just getting by with sub average players is not going to help this franchise win the Super Bowl and giving opportunities to a player that has proven he can't play at this level makes no sense to me. 

19 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

No, but if they don't have the potential to be one they should be looking for competition for one that can potentially be an All-Pro, HOF caliber player. Keep adding competition until you get the best possible player available, iron sharpens iron. 

Currently the Bengals have a few All Pro caliber players: Green, Whit, Dunlap, Atkins, and Burfict(when he is in shape and playing smart football). Outside of that every position could be upgraded by a better player, imo. Would I cut everyone else except for those guys? No, but I would try to find them competition that can push them to be better or replace them at some point. 

Just getting by with sub average players is not going to help this franchise win the Super Bowl and giving opportunities to a player that has proven he can't play at this level makes no sense to me. 

According to Marvin's latest quotes, the Bengals personnel is just as good as every other good team. He has identified the problem: they just don't play like it on Sundays. I'm not even kidding about this. 

"Before taking a break from the two-week autopsy examining why the Bengals failed to make the post season for the first time in six years, Lewis made it clear he doesn't want to do much talking this offseason when asked if those rosters have passed the Bengals by.

No, I don't' believe that,' he said after a season the Bengals lost to five play-off teams and beat one. "They passed us on those days."

24 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Smith was rated as one of the best RTs in the league in '12-'13.  Anyone who would have cut him after his second season would have been making a big mistake.

Cutting Smith after his second season would have a logical move and maybe allowed the Bengals to find a permanent solution sooner rather than later. The Bengals ended up letting Dre in FA without even offering him anything so it's not like he left here on great terms and was missed by the coaches or FO. 

He had a few good seasons to go with a few bad ones, currently he's a free agent that only played in 4 games last season after signing a below market prove it type of deal. When he was a free agent he didn't have teams stepping over themselves rushing to sign him because of his inconsistent play and injury history. 

Dre will never make an All Pro team and the only way he will get into Canton is as a visitor, comparing Ced to him is not doing Ced any favors. 

26 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

According to Marvin's latest quotes, the Bengals personnel is just as good as every other good team. He has identified the problem: they just don't play like it on Sundays. I'm not even kidding about this. 

"Before taking a break from the two-week autopsy examining why the Bengals failed to make the post season for the first time in six years, Lewis made it clear he doesn't want to do much talking this offseason when asked if those rosters have passed the Bengals by.

No, I don't' believe that,' he said after a season the Bengals lost to five play-off teams and beat one. "They passed us on those days."

Well then I guess it's a coaching issue then, right? If he thinks they have the talent to compete with all of the other playoff caliber teams then it must be a coaching issue. Maybe the HC isn't getting his guys ready to play on Sundays, since Monday through Saturday they are just as good as any other team in the NFL. 

9 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Well then I guess it's a coaching issue then, right? If he thinks they have the talent to compete with all of the other playoff caliber teams then it must be a coaching issue. Maybe the HC isn't getting his guys ready to play on Sundays, since Monday through Saturday they are just as good as any other team in the NFL. 

Gotta be a coaching issue. That's why it makes sense that it looks like the entire coaching staff is coming back. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Look around the NFL.  There is no team in the league that turns over every non-All-Pro position on their roster every two or three years.  It just doesn't happen.

Sacrificing team chemistry for the unrealistic fantasy that you can get a HOF player at every position is a good way to ruin a team.

If Cedric had been healthy and not missed both training camps then ai might be with you, but it is crazy to cut a guy this soon under his unusual circumstances. 

Why can't we just cut the bum already n move on.  Bust happen all the time. Shit happens. Why do we keep making excuses for the guy.  Injury, missed camp , not a right tackle.   How come we just can't be honest as say.  Fuck he really sucks at football he was so garbage there's no way he can be a decent player.  Teams drafts bust all the time. It happens. Oggieboggie is one.  

12 minutes ago, SocalBengalEd said:

Why can't we just cut the bum already n move on.  Bust happen all the time. Shit happens. Why do we keep making excuses for the guy.  Injury, missed camp , not a right tackle.   How come we just can't be honest as say.  Fuck he really sucks at football he was so garbage there's no way he can be a decent player.  Teams drafts bust all the time. It happens. Oggieboggie is one.  

Now I understand your role around here.

Surprised it took me so long to catch on.

If Ced compares favorably to Andre Smith then that is a problem as well because Smith was most recently signed to a 1 yr/3.5mm deal, a very below market salary for a former first round pick that is a has started 73 games in his career. Smith is/was considered a bust by the NFL judging by that offer, basically a prove it deal, and that is after dramatically improving from his rookie year. 
A rule of investing in equities is if an investment drops more than 10% from your purchase price then sell it because the odds of recouping your money are slim to none. If Ced was a stock he would have went from a $20something priced IPO to a penny stock. The Bengals would be wise to unload their shares now and recoup what they can, instead of holding onto this bad investment in hopes that one day it will recover.
Not saying that Ced can't improve but the hopes of him becoming an All Pro, HOF caliber player are slim to none and ultimately that is what the Bengals should be looking for at every position. 

Guess we should cut aj green and Andy Dalton bc they've never been a first team all pro either

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Have faith in the Bengals damn it.   After all why are we even questioning them.  They have such an amazing post season record since 1990. Can't we all be like Fred and agree with every move the Bengals make n say every player that's on the Bengals is amazing along with their coaching staff.  

So replace Dalton zeitler etc.

Why give him anything, what has he earned? LT is the most important position on the offensive line, why give this guy an opportunity start at the most important position on oline?
Because he was a first round pick? Because he's athletic?
I really don't understand why some people just want to give this guy so many opportunities when he hasn't shown capable with the opportunities he has been given so far. Normally if you can't play RT then you definitely can't play LT. You keep making excuses for this guy like he's going to magically turn into a HOF'er. At this point he has given up more sacks in one year than most players give up in a career. If it were up to me he would NEVER see the field for the Bengals again, he's garbage and I don't think he will ever be a Pro Bowl caliber player. 
If you think giving up 2 sacks is getting the better of someone then maybe you are delusional as well, not trying to be a jerk but seriously. Stop being a homer and look objectively at this situation. This guy can't play a game without giving up a sack, regardless of what position you put him at and the fact he feels comfortable trying to dictate where he will play is crazy. The only guy on this team that has earned that right is Whitworth and even he doesn't have that attitude. Ced should be happy he still has a roster spot because his play on the field has not warranted one at all, not even close. If this guy was a UDFA or late round pick would you be so optimistic about his future or willing to give him a roster spot. 
By most accounts Dalton was sacked 41 times this season, a ridiculously high number. I haven't gone through each sack and saw who was responsible but I guarantee you Ced was responsible for at least half of them. 

Whit gave up 6.5 sacks his first year ogbuehi gave up 12 yeah he was bad but it was his first year and as I've said he's gonna be a good lt he had confidence after the Texans game. I'm not being a homer yeah he gave up the 2 sacks but besides that he kept Clowney out of backfield. I'm just saying he showed something that ur able to build upon where's as at right tackle showed nothing. And as far as worst lineman on the team that would go to bodine. He gave up as sack to a backpedaling defender at least ogbuehi didn't do that. All I'm saying is give him another year under whits tutelage first year with mini camp and otas and then judge him.

8 hours ago, SocalBengalEd said:

Have faith in the Bengals damn it.   After all why are we even questioning them.  They have such an amazing post season record since 1990. Can't we all be like Fred and agree with every move the Bengals make n say every player that's on the Bengals is amazing along with their coaching staff.  

:morning1:

12 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

That is exactly what it means.

Actually, that's not what it means. I clarified my position in a later post, but don't let facts get in the way of an opinion. 

2 hours ago, Jpoore said:

Whit gave up 6.5 sacks his first year ogbuehi gave up 12 yeah he was bad but it was his first year and as I've said he's gonna be a good lt he had confidence after the Texans game. I'm not being a homer yeah he gave up the 2 sacks but besides that he kept Clowney out of backfield. I'm just saying he showed something that ur able to build upon where's as at right tackle showed nothing. And as far as worst lineman on the team that would go to bodine. He gave up as sack to a backpedaling defender at least ogbuehi didn't do that. All I'm saying is give him another year under whits tutelage first year with mini camp and otas and then judge him.

You are being a homer by projecting your desires  instead of looking at the reality of the situation. You clearly have no clue of what is good offensive line play if you think giving up 2 sacks is good, acceptable, etc...Giving up 2 sacks means you got your ass handed to you, not quite sure what evaluation methods you are using but whatever it is it needs to be revised. Bodine could stand to have some competition, but if anyone showed promise and improved as the season went on it was Bodine, not the guy who was a healthy scratch for the last few games of the year and was benched in favor of a 35 year old journeyman Eric Winston. 

I want Ced to be good, you want Ced to be good, he wants to be good...but currently that is not the case and based off what I saw from him in EVERY game, including the Texans game in which he gave up two sacks, he looked out matched  and not capable of playing at a high level in the NFL.

Just because you want something doesn't mean it going to happen, the reality is Ced has so much work to do just to be a capable backup that I don't know if he will every be an every down starter that doesn't give up multiple sacks per game. Currently, he's the worst oline man on the team, I'm talking practice squad, UDFA's, rookies, etc...stop making excuses for the guy. Maybe he can improve after a some training, working out, etc..but that is a big if and remains to be seen. 

Archived