Bengals OL Cedric Ogbuehi: 2016 was a shit year

First of all I am not ready to write off Ogbuehi.  In Alexanders 20+ years as our O-line coach he has never had a high draft pick flop.  I think that if Ogbuehi can stay healthy this off season he will develop into a solid NFL starter.

But at the same time there is no way in hell I am will to let whit walk on the chance that Cedric will improve enough to be our starting LT in '17.  So we have to re-sign Whit, and I doubt he will agree to a one year deal.  Whit has also made it clear that he does not like playing OG.  He talked about how much more physically punishing it was to play G, and he is much more effective at LT. That means Whit will be our starting LT for 2 more years.

It is rare for any team to make it through a full 16 game season without losing some O-linemen to injury for at least a few games.  So if we are going to keep Ogbuehi around he really needs to get over the idea that he can only play one position.

I remember when Anthony Collins was here.  We were desperate for OGs and I felt that Collins was one of our best 5 O-linemen.  BUt apparently he just told the team that he did not want to play OG so they never tried him there.  I guess if they had made him play OG he might not have given his full effort.  I did not think it was a very smart move on his part, but Whit ended up getting injured and Collins got to play enough LT to get a $30 million contract in free agency.  Maybe this is what Ogbuehi is thinking.  Maybe he sucked so bad at RT because he did not want to play RT. 

Yeah, 2 sacks in one game averages out to 32 a season.  One of those sacks almost got Dalton killed.  Even if he ends up being OK, once again we are replacing a great player, Whit, with a less talented one at a key position.  

But he won't be going up against jadaveon Clowney in every game in his first start so not really fair to average it out like that.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Jpoore said:

But he won't be going up against jadaveon Clowney in every game in his first start so not really fair to average it out like that.

He is a first round draft pick in his 2ND year.  It wasn't his first start, it was his first start at LT after.being benched at RT.

He doesn't want to play another position so he wants our 35 year old team Captain and  best Lineman over the last 13 years  to play guard.

Fuck him.

He is a first round draft pick in his 2ND year.  It wasn't his first start, it was his first start at LT after.being benched at RT.
He doesn't want to play another position so he wants our 35 year old team Captain and  best Lineman over the last 13 years  to play guard.
Fuck him.

He has a weak hand to play right tackle he can only play lt. I would prefer Whit at guard anyways he was guard when hill ran all over everyone

Clowney had a sack vs OGBUST n merciless had a sack vs OGBUST.   N OGBUST was getting thrown to the ground n ragged doll all game long.  So let's not pretend those 2 sacks were the only bad plays he did.    N Whitworth was a LT when HIll was a rookie.  N you believing OGBUST will be great as a LT is absolutely insane.  Based on what.  

Clowney had a sack vs OGBUST n merciless had a sack vs OGBUST.   N OGBUST was getting thrown to the ground n ragged doll all game long.  So let's not pretend those 2 sacks were the only bad plays he did.    N Whitworth was a LT when HIll was a rookie.  N you believing OGBUST will be great as a LT is absolutely insane.  Based on what.  

did u not see the Texans game bc I just rewatched it he was standing them up in every other play and I meant 2013 my bad thought hill was a rookie when he was LG

4 hours ago, Jpoore said:

He has a weak hand to play right tackle he can only play lt. I would prefer Whit at guard anyways he was guard when hill ran all over everyone

So you want to play one of the best LTs in football at Guard so this bucket of pus can play the position he wants at a mediocre level?  

How about we pick up a decent LG in FA, play Whit at tackle and let this bum jerk off in the shower?

Who the fuck moves their best Left tackle to guard other than the Bengals?  

I'm not saying that. But I am saying that Whit is one of the best lineman in NFL period switching him to guard could extend him to 39. I would like for ogbuehi to backup Whit until we clinch playoffs then have him start last couple games at lt to see if he has improved. if he played amazing keep egbuehi at lt for the following year and switch Whit to guard. Obviously this pointless as we won't know until it's and training camp etc. I just think with Whit helping him out for a while year and him obviously having the tools he can be great.

First of all I am not ready to write off Ogbuehi.  In Alexanders 20+ years as our O-line coach he has never had a high draft pick flop.  

Paul Alexander has made me want to break things many times over the years. Howevah... your statement is absolutely correct.

It's not time to push the panic button on Ogbuehi yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

8 hours ago, Big Alice said:

Paul Alexander has made me want to break things many times over the years. Howevah... your statement is absolutely correct.

It's not time to push the panic button on Ogbuehi yet.

It's not time to push the button but the answer certainly isn't letting a mediocre  (he might get better) player take the Left Tackle spot from a pro bowl quality player and let your franchise QB have to worry about his blind side.

It's not time to push the button but the answer certainly isn't letting a mediocre  (he might get better) player take the Left Tackle spot from a pro bowl quality player and let your franchise QB have to worry about his blind side.

There are some "roster questions" with this team. To me, "who's playing left tackle in '17?" isn't one of them.

Cedric Ogbuehi might be the right tackle. He might be the first lineman off the bench. Hell, he might replace Kevin Zeitler. Start at left tackle? Not bloody likely.

On 1/15/2017 at 11:06 AM, oldschooler said:

"I know against the Texans I gave up two sacks but besides the two sacks, out of 41 pass plays, my guy was nowhere near the quarterback. But those two plays were sacks so I’ve got to fix that.”

This guy is delusional if he thinks giving up 2 sacks is no big deal, he's a turnstile and should be on the bench at best or out of the league in reality. This guy's attitude of entitlement is disgusting to me, he feels like he should be handed a starting position because of what exactly. To me he's the equivalent of Blaine Gabbert, an athletic player that is horrible at playing football but because of his draft position and potential he is given more opportunities than he has earned and proven to not be up to the task. 

The Bengals should try to trade this guy asap, he's a scrub and his sense of entitlement/lack of talent is clear. 

On 1/15/2017 at 5:09 PM, Jpoore said:

He feels and plays a whole lot better at LT. Give him a chance I think he could be great.

Why give him anything, what has he earned? LT is the most important position on the offensive line, why give this guy an opportunity start at the most important position on oline?

Because he was a first round pick? Because he's athletic?

I really don't understand why some people just want to give this guy so many opportunities when he hasn't shown capable with the opportunities he has been given so far. Normally if you can't play RT then you definitely can't play LT. You keep making excuses for this guy like he's going to magically turn into a HOF'er. At this point he has given up more sacks in one year than most players give up in a career. If it were up to me he would NEVER see the field for the Bengals again, he's garbage and I don't think he will ever be a Pro Bowl caliber player. 

If you think giving up 2 sacks is getting the better of someone then maybe you are delusional as well, not trying to be a jerk but seriously. Stop being a homer and look objectively at this situation. This guy can't play a game without giving up a sack, regardless of what position you put him at and the fact he feels comfortable trying to dictate where he will play is crazy. The only guy on this team that has earned that right is Whitworth and even he doesn't have that attitude. Ced should be happy he still has a roster spot because his play on the field has not warranted one at all, not even close. If this guy was a UDFA or late round pick would you be so optimistic about his future or willing to give him a roster spot. 

By most accounts Dalton was sacked 41 times this season, a ridiculously high number. I haven't gone through each sack and saw who was responsible but I guarantee you Ced was responsible for at least half of them. 

On 1/15/2017 at 4:17 PM, kennethmw said:

Yeah, heaven forbid we let the kid have a couple of seasons before we decide whether he can be good or not.  burn him at the stake, now!

He's had 2 years and every time gets on the field he gives up a sack, it's pretty easy to decide that he's no good. 

"Can he improve" is the question at this moment and that remains to be seen. I'm not confident and really don't want to see him out there getting bull rushed and ragged dolled while killing drives and getting the QB crushed. Maybe he can play in the NFL developmental league while he improves his functional strength, technique, confidence level, etc...he has his work cut out for him. 

12 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I really don't understand why some people just want to give this guy so many opportunities when he hasn't shown capable with the opportunities he has been given so far.

I have made it very clear why I want to give him another chance.  He has never had a healthy offseason or training camp

If it were up to me he would NEVER see the field for the Bengals again, he's garbage and I don't think he will ever be a Pro Bowl caliber player. 

And you would also have cut Andre Smith after his second season.

I am not saying we should give him the starting position.  I am just saying that we need to keep working with him.  It is too early to release him.

20 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

I have made it very clear why I want to give him another chance.  He has never had a healthy offseason or training camp

And you would also have cut Andre Smith after his second season.

I am not saying we should give him the starting position.  I am just saying that we need to keep working with him.  It is too early to release him.

Smith struggled but he was never this bad, Ced is literally a turnstile at OT. 

As for the healthy training camp and offseason, maybe that is a reason why you move on him. Some guys are just injury prone, see Chris Perry, Kenny Irons, Kijana Carter, Ben Utchet, etc..., if they can't stay healthy and perform horribly when they are healthy, why would you give them a roster spot?

In my opinion Ced hasn't earned a jersey and wouldn't feel comfortable putting on the field to do anything besides bring Gatorade to the guys during timeouts. If it were up to me I would trade him and let him be someone else's experiment/reclamation project. There are too many other players that can play that don't have his injury/strength/technique/confidence issues to spend time and a roster spot on him, but that's my opinion. I don't care about his draft position, potential, quick feet, etc...currently he's a huge liability and I don't think he's going to magically improve to the point of being a quality starter after one offseason of lifting weights and working on technique. 

23 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Smith struggled but he was never this bad, Ced is literally a turnstile at OT. 

Typical revisionist history.  Many people will not admit it now, but Dre was one of the most hated first round picks in Bengal history.  He was one of the favorite "punching bags" for the hater crowd.  After his second year they were screaming for him to be cut.

Ogbuehi may never work out.  He may be a total bust.  But it is too soon to write him off when he has never had a healthy offseason. 

People saying we can let Whit walk and depend on Cedric to start at LT are crazy, but people saying we should cut him are just as bad.

12 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Typical revisionist history.  Many people will not admit it now, but Dre was one of the most hated first round picks in Bengal history.  He was one of the favorite "punching bags" for the hater crowd.  After his second year they were screaming for him to be cut.

Ogbuehi may never work out.  He may be a total bust.  But it is too soon to write him off when he has never had a healthy offseason. 

People saying we can let Whit walk and depend on Cedric to start at LT are crazy, but people saying we should cut him are just as bad.

If Ced compares favorably to Andre Smith then that is a problem as well because Smith was most recently signed to a 1 yr/3.5mm deal, a very below market salary for a former first round pick that is a has started 73 games in his career. Smith is/was considered a bust by the NFL judging by that offer, basically a prove it deal, and that is after dramatically improving from his rookie year. 

A rule of investing in equities is if an investment drops more than 10% from your purchase price then sell it because the odds of recouping your money are slim to none. If Ced was a stock he would have went from a $20something priced IPO to a penny stock. The Bengals would be wise to unload their shares now and recoup what they can, instead of holding onto this bad investment in hopes that one day it will recover.

Not saying that Ced can't improve but the hopes of him becoming an All Pro, HOF caliber player are slim to none and ultimately that is what the Bengals should be looking for at every position. 

16 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Not saying that Ced can't improve but the hopes of him becoming an All Pro, HOF caliber player are slim to none and ultimately that is what the Bengals should be looking for at every position. 

WTF does this even mean?  You think the Bengals should cut every guy who is not going to be an All-Pro, HOF quality player?

17 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

If Ced compares favorably to Andre Smith then that is a problem as well because Smith was most recently signed to a 1 yr/3.5mm deal, a very below market salary for a former first round pick that is a has started 73 games in his career. Smith is/was considered a bust by the NFL judging by that offer, basically a prove it deal, and that is after dramatically improving from his rookie year. 

Smith was rated as one of the best RTs in the league in '12-'13.  Anyone who would have cut him after his second season would have been making a big mistake.

48 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Dre was hated because he showed up fat and out of shape.  His weight was the probable cause of the foot injuries that kept him off the field his first 1.5 years.  However, once finally on the field, he played well.

Ced too was hurt his freshman year.  The big difference is once he made it onto the field,.he sucked UNLIKE Andre.

Archived