The NFL* can exhale.....

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah that'll show us.  Like how those cute youtube videos of cops handing out ice cream cones proves there's no such thing as police brutality.  Sure, the Bengals finally won a Super Bow..   but did that end racism?

Funny-Sad-Face-Hillary-Clinton-Picture.j

it is funny that you used this comparison.  When I tell my friends about how attached Bengal fans are the their victim cards I always say that it does not matter how many Super Bowls we win, a lot of Bengals fans will just continue to whine and cry because they have embraced the identity of victimhood.

I even go so far to compare Bengal fans who claimed our five year play off run was no better than the 90's to those successful african american professionals who claim things are still as bad for blacks today as it was before the Civil rights Movement.

And before I blow this thread up into a race debate I want to make it clear that I do not see that position being common among successful African American professionals.  In fact it is kind of rare.  But I think we have all seen it, and it is the perfect comparison to all those Bengal fans out there who will just bitch and cry no matter how well we do because that is what they love to do.

Not singling Jamie out, but anyone who cannot see the utter bias of the corrupt NFL, is living in a dream world.

i am sitting in a sports book in Reno last night. There are at least 50 TV's going with all assortment of college and pro basketball games. I made a point of watching one college and one NBA side by side. The difference in the game dynamics was incredible. The college game was by far more real and clean--infractions called when they actually occurred. Play flowed according to the rules. Not so the NBA game--and it was a second tier level one (Phila vs Toronto). This was a mish-mash of non-calls/phantom calls and general unorganized play. The constant was that the 4th quarter drama was completely orchestrated for the greater pleasure of the home fans (Phila). Then, on cue, everything shifted towards Toronto--a more Favored Franchise of the league. It was utterly predictable.

This is the way the NFL is going, and has been going for at least a decade. It simply is no longer a legitimate sport. 

I don't know how you can look at the headhunting shit that went on in the KC game and not come away thinking the league is fucked.  It's not like I'm some big KC fan, hell I expected Shitsburgh to win that game anyway.  There are clearly 2 sets of rules at work.

8 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Not singling Jamie out, but anyone who cannot see the utter bias of the corrupt NFL, is living in a dream world.

i am sitting in a sports book in Reno last night. There are at least 50 TV's going with all assortment of college and pro basketball games. I made a point of watching one college and one NBA side by side. The difference in the game dynamics was incredible. The college game was by far more real and clean--infractions called when they actually occurred. Play flowed according to the rules. Not so the NBA game--and it was a second tier level one (Phila vs Toronto). This was a mish-mash of non-calls/phantom calls and general unorganized play. The constant was that the 4th quarter drama was completely orchestrated for the greater pleasure of the home fans (Phila). Then, on cue, everything shifted towards Toronto--a more Favored Franchise of the league. It was utterly predictable.

This is the way the NFL is going, and has been going for at least a decade. It simply is no longer a legitimate sport. 

This is all just your perception.

If it was a strue as you claim then you would quit your job and live off your sports betting income.

College basketball games look like slow motion compared to NBA games.  i like college basketball, but it is unwatchable compared to the NBA.  and I don't know how you can possibly call the NBA game "unorganized" when they pass the ball more and run much more complex offenses than college.  The NBA is starting to take a lot more 3 pointers, but nothing compared to college where some games are nothing more than a glorified game of horse.

24 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

it is funny that you used this comparison.  When I tell my friends about how attached Bengal fans are the their victim cards I always say that it does not matter how many Super Bowls we win, a lot of Bengals fans will just continue to whine and cry because they have embraced the identity of victimhood.

I even go so far to compare Bengal fans who claimed our five year play off run was no better than the 90's to those successful african american professionals who claim things are still as bad for blacks today as it was before the Civil rights Movement.

And before I blow this thread up into a race debate I want to make it clear that I do not see that position being common among successful African American professionals.  In fact it is kind of rare.  But I think we have all seen it, and it is the perfect comparison to all those Bengal fans out there who will just bitch and cry no matter how well we do because that is what they love to do.

I agree with the first sentance and would say while things are not as bad as they were in the 60s, I'm not sure they are all that much better, just different. I'd recommend the Netfflix Documentary "13th" if you have Netflix.

13 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I agree with the first sentance and would say while things are not as bad as they were in the 60s, I'm not sure they are all that much better, just different. I'd recommend the Netfflix Documentary "13th" if you have Netflix.

Much too complicated of an issue for this forum.  I never should have brought it up.

And despite to comment I made I probably agree with you more than you think.

Just now, fredtoast said:

Much too complicated of an issue for this forum.  I never should have brought it up.

And despite to comment I made I probably agree with you more than you think.

No worries. I wouldn't be surprised if we do agree on much

13 hours ago, fredtoast said:

This is all just your perception.

If it was a strue as you claim then you would quit your job and live off your sports betting income.

College basketball games look like slow motion compared to NBA games.  i like college basketball, but it is unwatchable compared to the NBA.  and I don't know how you can possibly call the NBA game "unorganized" when they pass the ball more and run much more complex offenses than college.  The NBA is starting to take a lot more 3 pointers, but nothing compared to college where some games are nothing more than a glorified game of horse.

Fred : perception is not always reality, but it often is. 

And if you have seen me preach this sermon before, then you would know that I have never stated either the NBA or the NFL is fixed. That would not only be impossible to create, it would be impossible to get all the cats herded in one direction to make it work.

No, it is a dynamic that slants games to desired outcomes. Before 1980, the NBA was televising their Finals on tape-delays after the local news, due to public and network disinterest. The were a failing league to put it mildly. Then the Larry-Magic phenomenon happened. Seeing the immense media and public interest in that NCAA matchup, the NBA realized they could get an annual redux of the same rivalry. Thus, the game changed overnight into a "star-driven" mode over a team game (the shenanigans the league did to make sure both wound up on opposite coasts with Favored Franchises is another tangent for another time).

Ever since, the dynamic has been clearly slanted towards certain Franchises. They get the calls, and also benefit from non-calls. This does exist in reality. And more than one NBA official over the years have confirmed it. Again, it is not a fix. How is it overcome? Lesser teams have to play at a much higher level. See the Knicks-Rockets Finals in the '90's. All the calls were going to NY. But Houston won by shooting an astronomical 68% from the field for the series. 

The dynamic in the NFL is and has been trending the same way. It is tangible. 

Like I said, lie, damn lies, and statistics. So the stats from a series 23 years ago were off--sue me. But I watched that series with my own eyes--something you may have or may not done. The Knick bias was real, the Rocket overachieving play won the series. But this was an example of how bias is overcome--which you offer no response other than insulting the messenger. I do not give a flying fuck what your opinion is of my input. But at least I have reasonable evidence-based thoughts, as opposed to just insults. 

Offer something or STFU

37 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

the Rocket overachieving play won the series. But this was an example of how bias is overcome

Huge difference here in that the Knicks couldn't try to kill Rockets players and get away with it.  It's like allowing one boxer to use brass knuckles - you can't reasonably expect the other guy/team to overcome that.

On 1/19/2017 at 10:49 AM, fredtoast said:

Nonsense.  I have been a New Orleans Saints fan since 1969.  Our team was fucking terrible for 30 years.  It took 33 years to win the first playoff game. The fans called the team the Aints. 

Winning the Super bowl changed everything for mindset of that franchise.

What you left out was that this franchise hasn't won a playoff game in a soon to be 27 years.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Like I said, lie, damn lies, and statistics. So the stats from a series 23 years ago were off--sue me. But I watched that series with my own eyes--something you may have or may not done. The Knick bias was real, the Rocket overachieving play won the series. But this was an example of how bias is overcome--which you offer no response other than insulting the messenger. I do not give a flying fuck what your opinion is of my input. But at least I have reasonable evidence-based thoughts, as opposed to just insults. 

Offer something or STFU

Lies, damn lies and statistics?  You introduced statistics to the debate.  The problem is you made them up.  The figure you gave was so far removed from reality I felt compelled to correct it.

Was there bias in that series?  I don't know, I watched it and don't remember any.  I am a Knicks fan so take that for what it's worth.  It's very easy to see bias against the team you're rooting for, very hard to prove.

I do agree with the idea that star players can get calls that normal players don't.  The Jordan's and LeBron's of the world have often received the benefit of the doubt on close calls.  I'm sure the same happens in other sports.  I don't think there's any conspiracy involved, more a sub-conscious reaction on the behalf of the refs.

Archived