Offseason Needs C and G

As far as I can tell ignoring the guys that may return in free agency I see our needs as: 2nd WR, LT, C, RG, RT, K, LDT, RDE, SLB, MLB, S, CB, CB, Backup QB, RB Depth. These are at all kinds of different levels. Some can be filled in house, some will be filled with re-signed free agents, some will have to come from the draft or free agency.

C

·        Russell Bodine 6-3 308, 24 48 career starts

o       Bodine had an improved year but was such a gaping hole on the line in the past that’s not saying much. He still looks lost often and pressure up the middle is common.

·        Nick Mangold 6-4 307, 33 164 career starts

o       Local guy Mangold is on the tail end of his career but could help bring some stability to the line.

·        Joe Hawley 6-3 302 28, 52 career starts

o       29 starts over the last 2 year for the Bucs.

·        John Sullivan 6-4 310 31, 94 career starts

o       Sullivan has 1 start over the last 2 year. He seems like an ideal Winston like steadying force at C that might be able to help push Bodine to improve or start in his stead

·        AQ Shipley 6-1 307, 30, 38 career starts

o       Shipley started all 16 games for the Cards in 2016

Projection: I would love for us to go get Mangold. He shouldn’t cost much, he is a local guy and he may want to go what is traditionally a winner. Bodine may have improved by the end of the year but I am not buying in.

G

·        Kevin Zeitler 6-4 320, 26, 71 starts

o       The only question is how much are we willing to pay a RG. He is solid, we want him back, it might just cost too much.

·        Luke Joeckel 6-6 312, 25, 39 starts

o       Former #2 overall pick who didn’t find success at tackle and was moved to guard.

·        Chance Warmack 6-2 323, 25, 48 starts

o       Former #10 overall pick battled injuries this year.

·        Larry Warford 6-3 317, 25, 57 starts

o       4 year starter for the Lions

·        Brian Winters 6-4 320, 25, 41 starts

o       Hudson Ohio Native and Kent St alum started 13 games this year for the Jets.

·        Ron Leary 6-3 320, 27, 47 starts

o       12 game starter for the Cowboys this year at LG.

·        TJ Lang 6-4 318, 29, 94 starts

o       13 game starter at RG this year for the Packers.

·        Vladimir Ducasse 6-5 325, 29, 30 career starts

o       Ducassse started the last 8 games of 2016 for the ravens and 11 games for the Bears in 2015

·        Jahri Evans 6-4 318, 33 169 career starts

o       11 year starter for the Saints, unlikely to move on

·        Jermon Bushrod 6-5 320, 32, 112 career starts

o       Started 16 games for Dolphins last year after playing 3 for the Bears and 6 for the Saints.

·        Tim Lelito 6-4 315, 27, 24 career starts

o       4 year veteran all with Saints, 7 starts 2016, 13 starts 2015.

·        Ted Larsen 6-2 315, 29, 65 career starts

o       Started 8 games for the Bears in 2016

·        Chris Chester 6-3 303, 34, 143 career starts

o       Chester has started the last 32 games straight for the Falcons, and before that 64 straight for the Redskins.

Projection: Zeitler has been exceptional at the position and I believe that you should always re-sign your exceptional players because you get so few of them. With that said I don’t think RG is a priority position even if the offensive line is important and him leaving will create another hole. In the end despite the loss Zeitler will just cost too much money at a non priority position. Because of that I think we try someone already on the roster here. Westerman, Fisher, Ogbuehi, TJ Johnson, Bodine and Hopkins could all get a chance with another possibility of having one of these 6 play at LG and Boling moving over.

You guys do realize that we paid Zeitler over $8 million in '16, right?

Not only will we re-sign him, but it will be to a multi-year deal that will cost us less per year average than what we paid him this last year.

he is good, but he is not a Pro bowl player or anything elite like that.

We won't sign a free agent center, but we will draft one to push Bodine.  Despite what some people claim the Bengals do not have un-ending patience with poor play at center.  Ghiaciuc only had 2 full seasons as our starter then we chose not to re-sign him as a free agent.  Cook was a good center until he was injured in 2012.  He did not play well when he returned in '13 and he was cut after that season.

Bodine has had 3 years.  He has improved some, but is still a weak spot in our line.  We won't cut him like we did with Cook, but '17 is the last year of his contract, and I think we will at least draft a guy to groom as his possible replacement. 

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

You guys do realize that we paid Zeitler over $8 million in '16, right?

Not only will we re-sign him, but it will be to a multi-year deal that will cost us less per year average than what we paid him this last year.

he is good, but he is not a Pro bowl player or anything elite like that.

Osomele, Long and DeCastro all signed deals last year for 10 mill per year. Brandon Brooks signed 8 mill per year. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/guard/signed-2016/

I hope you are right. I think you are wrong. 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Osomele, Long and DeCastro all signed deals last year for 10 mill per year. Brandon Brooks signed 8 mill per year. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/guard/signed-2016/

I hope you are right. I think you are wrong. 

Osomele was coming off a breakout season where by the end of the year he actually looked like the Ravens LT of the future.  He was First Team All Pro this year and would have started at OT for a lot of teams.

DeCastro was coming off a First Team All pro season.

Zeitler is good, but nothing close to where those two players were rated last off season.  However anything can happen.  I liked Sanu a lot as our #3 WR, but I never imagined he would get a $30+ million contract.  And contracts seem to go up a little every year. So depending on the competition on the free agent market Zeitler may get a huge contract, but the Bengals may pay well to keep him.  They have a long history of paying thier O-linemen pretty well. 

In '17 Boling will make less than $5 million.  Bodine, Ogubehi, and Fisher are all still on rookie deals and will only make $4.5 million combined. We should be able to pay Whit $10 and Zeitler $9 to keep them here.  That would still be only $28.5 million for our top 6 O-linemen. Hopefully get Whit on a two year deal.  That way his salary would come off the books the same year we have to possibly re-sign Fisher or Ogbuehi.  

12 hours ago, fredtoast said:

We won't sign a free agent center, but we will draft one to push Bodine.  Despite what some people claim the Bengals do not have un-ending patience with poor play at center.  Ghiaciuc only had 2 full seasons as our starter then we chose not to re-sign him as a free agent.  Cook was a good center until he was injured in 2012.  He did not play well when he returned in '13 and he was cut after that season.

Bodine has had 3 years.  He has improved some, but is still a weak spot in our line.  We won't cut him like we did with Cook, but '17 is the last year of his contract, and I think we will at least draft a guy to groom as his possible replacement. 

2 FULL years starting and playing poorly at the center position is WAY too long in this league.  Dalton had one of the quickest releases due to necessity not because of design.  I am sure Rodgers has one of the slowest snap to pass times in the league along with the Rapist.

Here is my prediction.

Whitworth sign a 2 year $15million deal. $8 this year and $7 next year.

Zeitler signs a 5 year $50 million deal ( look at decastro's deal then come whine)

Bengals draft a Center, I'm hoping it is Elflein in the 2nd round, but knowing the bengals they will pass on him for Kenny Iron's JR.

49 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

I'd hope not, but I think he could get that somewhere else though.

He certainly might.  $10 million a year would actually be over 1 million a year less than DeCastro, and every year I am surprised by some deals guys like Sanu get.

It is also getting trendy to have a good O-line.  Dallas and Oakland have made high paid O-lines fashionable again.

5 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Here is my prediction.

Zeitler signs a 5 year $50 million deal ( look at decastro's deal then come whine)

Bengals draft a Center, I'm hoping it is Elflein in the 2nd round, but knowing the bengals they will pass on him for Kenny Iron's JR.

Whitworth signed a year 1-year extension last year worth $9 million in new money. You think he's going to get less with how crazy the market is? http://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/ His market value is probably $12 million. If we can get him to sign for between $10 and $11 million a year, I think that's a steal.

Osemele is the outlier in the guard market. $10 million/year is what Zeitler is probably looking at, so I agree with Zeitler on 5 year/$50 million. Maybe something like 5 year/$51 million just for an agent to brag that the APY is higher at $10.2 million/year.

I'm fine with Bodine returning as the starter. He wasn't Richie, but he looked Kyle Cook competent in the second half of the season. I'd even think about extending him on a deal that pays him $3 to $4 million per year 1 year before his contract expires like we did with Shawn Williams, with about 20% guaranteed so he can be cut after 2 years if he doesn't continue to improve.

I'd be a fan of the Bengals signing Joe Hawley at C. Guy is solid and has a great football demeanor. He's only 28 and would be a clear upgrade. At G/T I want to see both Zeitler and Whitworth return. There's no reason the Bengals can't afford to make this happen.

I agree with the consensus at C though. The Bengals are most likely to look for a current and/or future upgrade in the draft as opposed to through free agency.

Here is my prediction.

On fanspeak I was able to get zeitler for 5 year 38 million 25 percent guaranteed. Ik it's a mock but still. If we don't resign zeitler and with the apparent lack of confidence in westerman I would place a higher priority on elflien due to his versatility in a pinch or otherwise his playing guard.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

21 hours ago, fredtoast said:

It is also getting trendy to have a good O-line.  Dallas and Oakland have made high paid O-lines fashionable again.

I think it never went out of fashion with teams that enjoy winning a bunch.  Only difference is the draft is so overhyped these days and teams are taking OL in the first round so now they are getting famous.

20 hours ago, SlantNGo said:

Whitworth signed a year 1-year extension last year worth $9 million in new money. You think he's going to get less with how crazy the market is? http://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/ His market value is probably $12 million. If we can get him to sign for between $10 and $11 million a year, I think that's a steal.

Yes, but maybe for a 28year old tackle....

Whitworth in  tackle terms is supposed to be retired by now....I think he would take a team friendly deal....

Archived