Whit to Pro Bowl

Andrew Whitworth added to 2017 NFL Pro Bowl

by Jason Marcum@marcum89  Jan 18, 2017, 4:46pm EST

Scott R. Galvin-USA TODAY Sports

The Bengals have another late addition to the 2017 NFL Pro Bowl.

On Wednesday, the team announced that left tackle Andrew Whitworth had been added to the 2017 Pro Bowl. He replaces Raiders offensive tackle Donald Penn, who is bowing out due to injury.

Whitworth, who just finished his 11th NFL season, started every game in 2016, 15 of which came at left tackle. He also started Week 16 at left guard, while filling in for the injured Clint Boling.

Even with the temporary switch, as well as the Bengals offensive line struggling as a unit this season, Whitworth was still among the game’s best left tackles. He finished second among offensive tackle in PFF’s rankings.

This is good news for Whitworth as he gets set to hit NFL free agency. Coming off a trip to the Pro Bowl should give him a little added value as he tests the market. That is, unless the Bengals re-sign him before he can. 

The expectation has been Cincinnati will re-sign him, but if they let him test the market, you can bet at least one other team will be willing to throw a large contract at him. 

This will be Whitworth’s third appearance in the Pro Bowl. He joins defensive end Carlos Dunlap and defensive tackle Geno Atkins as Bengals currently slated to play in the game. A.J. Green originally made the game, but will not play due to his hamstring injury.

The 2017 Pro Bowl will be played on Sun., Jan. 29, televised on ESPN at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Florida. 

Congrats to Whit, but the Pro Bowl has becoem such a joke I predict they will not even be playing it in a few years.

Players all are worried about injury, and it is unwatchable for the fans.  I turned it on a couple of years ago and the linemen were just dancing with each other.  It did not even look like real football.

50 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Congrats to Whit, but the Pro Bowl has becoem such a joke I predict they will not even be playing it in a few years.

Players all are worried about injury, and it is unwatchable for the fans.  I turned it on a couple of years ago and the linemen were just dancing with each other.  It did not even look like real football.

I hate the whole Jerry Rice vs Deion Sanders draft thing.

Just now, fredtoast said:

Total desperation move to try and drum up interest in a horrible game.

Thank god it does not determine home field in the Super Bowl.

Just make it the week after the SB like in the past so the best players can play and make it AFC vs NFC again. Change for the sake of Change is not always a good thing.

19 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Have them play softball or paintball or something instead. I thought the skills competition things were more entertaining than the game anyway.

The skills competition from the 80's was awesome, Daryl Green beating everyone every year in the 40 yard dash was legendary. I would much rather them do something like that play a half hearted football game in which team's star players risk injury for nothing. 

They can still have a Pro Bowl team, just like an All Pro Team but they don't have to play the game. If the players don't want to play and fans don't want to watch, so who is benefiting from this game?

1 minute ago, PatternMaster said:

The skills competition from the 80's was awesome, Daryl Green beating everyone every year in the 40 yard dash was legendary. I would much rather them do something like that play a half hearted football game in which team's star players risk injury for nothing. 

They can still have a Pro Bowl team, just like an All Pro Team but they don't have to play the game. If the players don't want to play and fans don't want to watch, so who is benefiting from this game?

If they played a softball game where the winning team got X dollars donated to charity of choice I might actually watch that.  They could clown a bit, you'd see everyone's faces, low chance of any serious injury..   Football is too physical a game to play half-assed.

11 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

If they played a softball game where the winning team got X dollars donated to charity of choice I might actually watch that.  They could clown a bit, you'd see everyone's faces, low chance of any serious injury..   Football is too physical a game to play half-assed.

Exactly, that is when the most injuries occur. 

Turn the whole week into a pamper session/meet and greet for the fans; everyone wins. The players would get to start rehabbing their bodies from a brutal season and the fans get to meet their favorite players, no risk of injury for the best players in the league and the NFL isn't forced to put out a sub-standard product. 

Somebody get Roger Goodell on the phone, I've got an idea!

23 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Total desperation move to try and drum up interest in a horrible game.

Thank god it does not determine home field in the Super Bowl.

That would be quite interesting....NFC players on the AFC team( assuming this was a draft) purposely fumbling or not tackling players lol.

Would it be the Leon Lett bowl?

4 hours ago, fredtoast said:

AFC v NFC in multiple events

Linemen....Tug of war

RB, WR, DB....Speed/Agility course relay

QBs......Throwing at moving targets

LBs........Board breaking contest using just the forehead.

I mean fuck ESPN with a stick but otherwise I might actually watch this

19 hours ago, fredtoast said:

AFC v NFC in multiple events

Linemen....Tug of war

RB, WR, DB....Speed/Agility course relay

QBs......Throwing at moving targets

LBs........Board breaking contest using just the forehead.

Ben Rothlisburger could be in the raping competition.  He is an All Pro Rapist for sure, boy howdy.  Can you imagine Cris Collinsworth calling the play-by-play?

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Ben Rothlisburger could be in the raping competition.  He is an All Pro Rapist for sure, boy howdy.  Can you imagine Cris Collinsworth calling the play-by-play?

I can imagine Collinsworthless calling it "good old-fashioned Stiller footbaww", probably while rubbing one out in the booth.

no ninja here

The only cure for this useless event, is to do what all of the other leagues do: put it at mid-season. It will still be a shit show, as the others are, but it would give it some semblance of legitimacy.

Or swing completely for the fences (allegorically) and do what MLB does: give the winning conference home field advantage. Well duh, the SB is at a neutral site, so never mind.

Archived