50 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

We were coming off a season where our roster was considered good enough to contend for a championship with a healthy QB.  Plus we were already replacing 4 starters (Nelson, Sanu. Jones, Smith)

I am guessing that if you looked at all the other great teams in the league none of them have open competition at every position every year.  Especially when they are already forced to replace 4 starters.

Well I think that proves my point. You're replacing 4 starters and not one of those spots was an open competition. It would have been nice to have some competition at the safety and right tackle spots, don't you think?

and thanks for putting words in my mouth, but when I did I say that every spot should be up for grabs? Perhaps we can find a middle ground between 25 open competitions and none at all. 

2 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Well I think that proves my point. You're replacing 4 starters and not one of those spots was an open competition. It would have been nice to have some competition at the safety and right tackle spots, don't you think?

This is a perfect example of claiming something is wrong just because the Bengals did, but the truth is that the Bengals did exactly what every other good team out there does.

Did the Patriots have an open competition for the QB job when Brady got suspended?  No.  they did exactly what the Bengals did.  The replaced him with the player they had drafted and groomed to take over when the starter is gone.

38 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

This is a perfect example of claiming something is wrong just because the Bengals did, but the truth is that the Bengals did exactly what every other good team out there does.

Did the Patriots have an open competition for the QB job when Brady got suspended?  No.  they did exactly what the Bengals did.  The replaced him with the player they had drafted and groomed to take over when the starter is gone.

Except their replacement did well and the Bengals replacements were mostly trash. Keep comparing the Pats and the Bengals, dufus. 

Not picking on you but I keep hearing fans mentioning how great our defense played in the second half of the season, I think people need to keep it in perspective. We played the worst offenses in the league the second half of the season.

Yeah but they just seemed to mesh and click together.better that the First half of season

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Except their replacement did well and the Bengals replacements were mostly trash. Keep comparing the Pats and the Bengals, dufus. 

This is what always happens when I prove someone wrong.  They change the subject.

I agree that the Pats have better players.  They do a better job at picking and developing players.  But that has nothing to do with the discussion we were having about competition.

1 hour ago, B.A.B. said:

Oh he definitely will

How silly of me to look at how the best teams in the league operate.  In fact how silly of me to look at how any other team does anything.  All I have to do is look at what the Bengals do and claim it is the wrong thing to do, right?  doesn't matter if it is the same things that the bets teams do.  It is wrong when the Bengals do it but right when the best teams do it.

who can argue with logic like that?

1 minute ago, fredtoast said:

This is what always happens when I prove someone wrong.  They change the subject.

I agree that the Pats have better players.  They do a better job at picking and developing players.  But that has nothing to do with the discussion we were having about competition.

I'm convinced your just playing everyone here to increase hits for the site. 

I said that the Bengals should have had more competition for the openings in their starting lineup. 

You came back and said all the good teams do exactly as the Bengals do. They draft a specific replacement and plug him in with no competition for that opening. 

You then used the Pats as an example (why, I don't know), relating the fact that Brady was suspended and the Pats had no competition for that spot. 

Basically you're saying that the QB spot is just like every other position. 

I came back and said that it's ridiculous to compare the Pats and Bengals, and also said that when BB replaces someone, the replacement most often does just as well, if not better. 

Why none of this apparently has anything to do with the conversation, I'll never know. I don't care to hear your reasoning either. I just think you're a troll on here to push increased traffic for the site. 

1 hour ago, Jpoore said:

Yeah but they just seemed to mesh and click together.better that the First half of season

The whole team did, more or less, but playing against shitty teams makes you look better than you really are.

In fact, this is my major beef with Marvin and the Bengals. During our playoff seasons (where we of course lost in the first round EVERY TIME....and just in case the kids aren't aware, Marvin Lewis holds the WORST playoff record in NFL HISTORY for appearances at 0-7), we beat the teams we're supposed to beat but rarely outside of our division do we EVER beat a GOOD team with a winning record. EVER. It's maddening, and a primary reason why in my opinion, Marvin should go. He's done what he can, it's over. I cannot envision improvement under him from here, and if there is it'll be accidental.

53 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

, we beat the teams we're supposed to beat but rarely outside of our division do we EVER beat a GOOD team with a winning record. EVER. 

Even after our horrible '16 season the bengals are 5th in the league with 13 regular season wins against playoff teams over the last 5 years.  

The only 4 teams with more are New England (16), Seattle (18), Denver (15), and Pittsburgh (15), and the Bengals have beaten every one of those teams over that stretch.

Only 3 teams have a winning record against other playoff teams during the regular season since '12, and the bengals .450 winning percentage (13-16-1) is 6th.

Obviously the Bengals have room to improve in this area, but it is wrong to claim that we "rarely ever" beat another good team when we have done it more often than 27 of 32 teams.

The whole team did, more or less, but playing against shitty teams makes you look better than you really are.
In fact, this is my major beef with Marvin and the Bengals. During our playoff seasons (where we of course lost in the first round EVERY TIME....and just in case the kids aren't aware, Marvin Lewis holds the WORST playoff record in NFL HISTORY for appearances at 0-7), we beat the teams we're supposed to beat but rarely outside of our division do we EVER beat a GOOD team with a winning record. EVER. It's maddening, and a primary reason why in my opinion, Marvin should go. He's done what he can, it's over. I cannot envision improvement under him from here, and if there is it'll be accidental.

Well in 2015 we beat the seahawks(10-6) chiefs(11-5) among other teams. But I do see ur point. And yeah I know they looked better among bad competition but Williams in particular looked like he was getting the hang of moving from ss to fs.

Archived