me kiper's first mock. bengals take.....

7 minutes ago, happyrid said:

I'd love either of those picks. 

Probably my #1 and #2 choices of the realistic options (assuming Myles Garrett, Jonathan Allen go before 9). 

Things can change a lot between now and the draft, but I pretty much guarantee garret is gone in the first three picks.

I'd be fine with Thomas or Foster.

Thomas is about as safe of 1st round pick as you can get at #9, you know he won't be a problem off the field and he's a talented player that if given the opportunity can contribute from Day 1.

I seriously doubt the Bengals will take a LB or S at #9 as they have consistently said they put certain positions at a premium in draft and LB, S, C, DT, and RB are just not as highly valued to be a first round pick by this organization. They have taken one of those positions in the first round(LB, Keith Rivers) since Marvin took over and it didn't work out well as Rivers was traded for a 5th round pick before the end of his rookie contract. 

23 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I seriously doubt the Bengals will take a LB or S at #9 as they have consistently said they put certain positions at a premium in draft and LB, S, C, DT, and RB are just not as highly valued to be a first round pick by this organization. They have taken one of those positions in the first round(LB, Keith Rivers) since Marvin took over and it didn't work out well as Rivers was traded for a 5th round pick before the end of his rookie contract. 

Agree with most of what you say, but that is the argument I used to make when i claimed the bengals would never use a first round pick on an OG.  

Plus, Pollack was a LB.

Just now, fredtoast said:

Agree with most of what you say, but that is the argument I used to make when i claimed the bengals would never use a first round pick on an OG.  

Plus, Pollack was a LB.

He was a DE/LB hybrid, he played DE in college exclusively and I think Zeitler was the exception to the rule. History shows us in the last few drafts the Bengals have used the first round pick on guys that directly affect the passing the game, WR, TE, OT, CB, and DE. Being that the Bengals have a need at DE and WR and we will be position to get an impact player both positions I would be shocked if they went away from that formula this year, but stranger things have happened. 

I would love to see Solomon Thomas, Mike Williams, or Cam Robinson as the 1st round pick in this year's draft. 

2 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

He was a DE/LB hybrid, he played DE in college exclusively and I think Zeitler was the exception to the rule. History shows us in the last few drafts the Bengals have used the first round pick on guys that directly affect the passing the game, WR, TE, OT, CB, and DE. Being that the Bengals have a need at DE and WR and we will be position to get an impact player both positions I would be shocked if they went away from that formula this year, but stranger things have happened. 

I would love to see Solomon Thomas, Mike Williams, or Cam Robinson as the 1st round pick in this year's draft. 

Again, agree with a lot of what you say, but I don't see any way the use a first round pick on a #2 WR.

My money is on DE or LB.

I have seen a lot of Solomon Thomas and I think he will be a good NFL player, but I don't think he is a to-10 talent, or a double digit sack guy.  And I don't think he is a good fit for the Bengals.  Thomas wins with power, not speed.  He is a much better fit lining up on the left side of the defensive line or even as an interior pass rusher.  We already have Dunlop and Geno for that.  We need a speedy Right End that can take snaps away from MJ.  

If the Bengals drafted him they would still need to draft an edge rusher for passing situations.  Ideally Thomas would play end on first down and then kick in next to Geno on passing downs.  That could be an awesome combo, but it doesn't solve the problem that we arent getting any pass rush from our right DE.  

7 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

History shows us in the last few drafts the Bengals have used the first round pick on guys that directly affect the passing the game, WR, TE, OT, CB, and DE. Being that the Bengals have a need at DE and WR and we will be position to get an impact player both positions I would be shocked if they went away from that formula this year, but stranger things have happened. 

in this draft, Dalvin Cook fits that criteria from the RB position as well, IMO....he's gonna pay HUGE dividends in the passing game for some lucky QB out there, there's no doubt about that......and honestly, you could probably say the same thing about Malik Hooker on the other side coming from the Safety spot, he's definitely going to disrupt some passing games for somebody.

8 minutes ago, BlackBengal said:

I'm still up in the air on Reuben Foster being a top-10 pick.  Great, great college player.  But he gives me a Rey Maualuga vibe.  A great run stuffing LB in a vertical passing era.  I think he might be a better college player than NFL player.  

Foster can absolutely cover, he's a complete 3-down LB that just happens to hit like a truck (much like Maualuga did at USC) ...not even close to being the same player though.

29 minutes ago, BlackBengal said:

I'm still up in the air on Reuben Foster being a top-10 pick.  Great, great college player.  But he gives me a Rey Maualuga vibe.  A great run stuffing LB in a vertical passing era.  I think he might be a better college player than NFL player.  

I think he's way faster than Rey M. ever was. One of the things everyone raves about with him is his sideline to sideline speed. 

I also don't buy the "in a vertical passing era" argument about LBs anymore. The Stealers have run 49.8% of the time on their current winning streak (8 games I believe) and LeVeon Bell is averaging something like 166 yards per game this season. Much as it pains me to say it, winning the division (which puts you in position to do post-season damage) runs through them and the biggest key to beating them is stopping Bell. 

14 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Foster can absolutely cover, he's a complete 3-down LB that just happens to hit like a truck (much like Maualuga did at USC) ...not even close to being the same player though.

Maualuga "hit like a truck" when he was throwing himself at guys half his size.  He spent a good while getting pinballed and generally run over in the NFL.  Foster looks like a much better tackler other than sometimes leading with his head.

Burflict - Vigil - Foster.  Yes please.

I like him but do think that DE is bigger need. If we trade back and get a guy like Walker in 1 I wouldn't be upset with a guy like McMillan or Cunningham or beckwith in 2. That said I'm not gonna complain at all if we go Foster at 9 but do not think we take that route. Either way we will have a great lb core for once.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

34 minutes ago, Jpoore said:

I like him but do think that DE is bigger need. If we trade back and get a guy like Walker in 1 I wouldn't be upset with a guy like McMillan or Cunningham or beckwith in 2. That said I'm not gonna complain at all if we go Foster at 9 but do not think we take that route. Either way we will have a great lb core for once.

I don't think there's any doubt that if there's a Pro Bowl type DE there you take that over a Pro Bowl type LB. Both because of positional value and because it's a lot easier to get a good inside LB in the 2nd round. 

Where it gets tougher is if they think Foster is a definite star at MLB and they see the available DEs (Thomas, Barnett, or whoever) as good starters, but not major impact, Pro Bowl types. If that's how they have these guys scouted, then Foster makes a lot of sense at 9. 

I know the Bengals absolutely loved Kuechly and wanted him when he came out. According to Lapham, they loved Ryan Shazier too and were hoping he fell a couple years ago. So it's not like the Bengals are opposed to a LB in the first. 

I don't think there's any doubt that if there's a Pro Bowl type DE there you take that over a Pro Bowl type LB. Both because of positional value and because it's a lot easier to get a good inside LB in the 2nd round. 
Where it gets tougher is if they think Foster is a definite star at MLB and they see the available DEs (Thomas, Barnett, or whoever) as good starters, but not major impact, Pro Bowl types. If that's how they have these guys scouted, then Foster makes a lot of sense at 9. 
I know the Bengals absolutely loved Kuechly and wanted him when he came out. According to Lapham, they loved Ryan Shazier too and were hoping he fell a couple years ago. So it's not like the Bengals are opposed to a LB in the first. 

Yeah agree with this Co pletely u take ur grades in players and then base it on positional need and importance of position. My problem with Foster is he watches the qbs eyes too much for me as opposed to playing his man but he can clean that up. As it gets closer to draft we will know a lot more. My number 1 is Mike Williams anyways but anybody we get will vastly improve our team.

Archived