Numbers on good teams starting young players

I see a lot of people ripping the bengals for not playing young draft picks.  I have always said that the Bengals seem to use young players as much as other good teams with established rosters.  Here are the top ten teams in regular season victories over the last three years and how many starts they get from their draft picks.

I used 3 years because that is the length of contracts for all picks except first rounders.  If you go to 4 years then you have some free agents who are starting for a team other than the one that drafted them.

NUMBER OF STARTS BY PLAYERS FROM LAST THREE DRAFTS

Kan....230

GB.....228

Dal....200

Car....188

NE.....159

Cin....154

Pitt....151

Den..148

Ari....147

Sea..122

NUMBER OF PICKS WHO HAVE STARTED AT LEAST 16 GAMES OVER LAST THREE YEARS

Kan...6

Dal...5

GB...5

NE...4

Car..4

Cin..3

Den..3

Ari...3

Sea..3

Pitt..2

So the bengals are pretty much middle of the pack when it comes to good team playing draft picks early.

I would mention that these numbers do not include Ryan Hewitt who has started 34 games for the Bengals over the last three years, but I am sure some of these other teams also have undrafted free agents from the last 3 years who have started at least 16 games.  I just don't have an easy way to look up that info,

Damn, don't know what I was thinking.  Rookie contracts are 4 years for all players except first round picks.  I knew that, but I am not going to edit my mistake out of the original post.

Also since one of the biggest complaints I hear about the bengals is that they do not play draft picks until the last season of their rookie contracts I am not going to go to the trouble to re-do the numbers.

Actually I am just too lazy to re-do the numbers

Archived