Offensive Needs outlook

Needs

As far as I can tell ignoring the guys that may return in free agency I see our needs as: 2ndWR, LT, C, RG, RT, K, LDT, RDE, SLB, MLB, S, CB, CB, Backup QB, RB Depth. These are at all kinds of different levels. Some can be filled in house, some will be filled with re-signed free agents, some will have to come from the draft or free agency.

2nd WR:

·        Brandon LaFell (UFA) 6-3 210, 30 years old. 64-862-13.5-6

o       LaFell has been solid 2 of his last 3 years. He’s likely back as the 2nd starter.

·        Tyler Boyd 6-2 197, 54-603-11.2-1

o       Likely starter at Slot WR.

·        Cody Core 6-3 210, 17-200-11.8-0

o       Flashed ability at the end of the year but still raw at the position

·        Kenny Stills 6-0 195, 24. 42-726-17.3-9

o       Stills is probably headed for a big payday somewhere after a solid year. Cincy is unlikely to get involved in a bidding war.

·        DeSean Jackson (UFA-Redskins) 5-10 175, 30. 56-1005-17.9-4

o       Likely up for a big final payday. Probably too costly.

·        Jeremy Kerley (UFA-49ers) 5-9 188, 28. 64-667-10.4-3

o       Kerley is underappreciated and undersized. He played with Dalton at TCU and was brought in for a workout last offseason. He might be too small for the outside but may fit the kind of 2nd week of free agency signing that we like to make.

·        Kendall Wright (UFA-Titans) 5-10 191 27. 29-416-14.3-3

o       Wright had an up and down year even being inactive some weeks. He might be a possibility if no one goes after him early.

·        Markus Wheaton (UFA-Stealers) 5-11 189 26. 4-51-1

o       Wheaton is coming off a torn labrum and won’t be healthy until April or May. The former 3rd round pick ran a 4.45 forty at the combine. He might be another one of the 2nd week in the offseason type pickups.

·        Ted Ginn (UFA-Panthers) 5-11 180 32. 54-752-13.9-4

o       Ginn had his second season in a row of decent receiving. At 32 there might not be a huge market for his services.

Projection: I wouldn’t be surprised if a WR was drafted as early as 9. With the amount of needs we have I would not love that but I can see the argument with AJ Green inching towards 30. I’d love to add Jeremy Kerley because I think he would come cheap and perform but I just don’t see it happening. My guess is LaFell returns as the starter and we draft a guy with #1 upside in the top 4 rounds again.

As far as I can tell ignoring the guys that may return in free agency I see our needs as: 2nd WR, LT, C, RG, RT, K, LDT, RDE, SLB, MLB, S, CB, CB, Backup QB, RB Depth. These are at all kinds of different levels. Some can be filled in house, some will be filled with re-signed free agents, some will have to come from the draft or free agency.

·        Andrew Whitworth (UFA) 6-7 330, 35. 164 career starts.

o       Whitworth is solid still at 35. This team probably goes nowhere without a strong left tackle because of how poorly Dalton has been historically when he has faced pressure. He is a must re-sign.

·        Cedric Ogbuehi 6-5 310, 24. 12 career starts

o       Ced was very poor in his second year with the Bengals. He was especially bad at RT and was quoted as saying he is not a RT. Whit will hopefully play LT next year and with Ogbuehi backing him up and then Ced will be heading into his year 4 year in 2018. I don’t see a way that we pick up his 5th year option. He is not an option at RT. PFF says that he was “at fault for nine sacks and 40 total QB pressures in 11 games.

·        Eric Winston 6-7 310, 33 125 career starts

o       Winston started 2 games last year for the Bengals and has been an ok backup for the team.

·        Jake Fisher 6-6 305, 23. 4 career starts

o       Fisher started at RT for 3 games this year. Was better than Ogbuehi but not good enough to say the spot is solidified

·        Andre Smith 6-4 325, 29. 77 career starts

o       We love getting back our ex free agents. While Andre didn’t fare well last year it wouldn’t be out of the question to see him back in stripes. A triceps injury led him to start just 4 games for the Vikings.

·        Sebastian Vollmer (Likely CC) 6-8 320 32. 80 career starts

o       Vollmer probably won’t be back in NE after a shoulder injury put him out for the year and they signed his replacement long term

·        Byron Bell 6-5 340, 27 72 career starts

o       Bell injured his ankle, was out all of last year and was replaced by rookie Jack Conklin. Likely to be available

·        Menelik Watson 6-5 315, 28 17 career starts

o       Former second rounder regained a starting position at RT by the end of the year.

·        Gosder Cherilus 6-7 316, 32 116 career starts

o       Relegated to a backup role last year with 3 starts. Likely to be available.

·        Jordan Mills 6-5 316, 26 50 career starts

o       Started 16 games at RT for the Bills last year a position they will look to upgrade

·        Marshall Newhouse 6-4 328, 28 56 career starts

o       Newhouse started 5 games for us in 2014 and was not impressive. Since he has started 20 games for the Giants

·        Ben Ijilana 6-4 322, 27 13 career starts

o       Started at both RT(6) and LT (7) for the Jets this year

Projection: Whitworth is a must re-sign. The offense doesn’t go without him. Franchise him if you have to (I don’t really think we have to.) When I started this I assumed I would conclude that we should draft a tackle early and re-sign Winston.  I still think that is a smart option given Whit’s age and the unknowns in Ced and Fisher. However, after seeing the group that is available in Free Agency I think there is another option that might be better. Sign one of a handful of guys, Vollmer, Bell, Watson, Smith or Cherilus and pencil them in at starting RT and/or let them compete with Fisher for the position. That gives us more stability at tackle if Fisher can’t make it. A tackle grouping of Whit, Ogbuehi, Fisher and FA (Vollmer-Bell-Smith-Watson and Cherilus. The position isn’t solved but it’s more stable with a vet, even an injured or aged one. I think that one of them will be available for an affordable deal. I’d probably prefer Vollmer or Bell

As far as I can tell ignoring the guys that may return in free agency I see our needs as: 2nd WR, LT, C, RG, RT, K, LDT, RDE, SLB, MLB, S, CB, CB, Backup QB, RB Depth. These are at all kinds of different levels. Some can be filled in house, some will be filled with re-signed free agents, some will have to come from the draft or free agency.

C

·        Russell Bodine 6-3 308, 24 48 career starts

o       Bodine had an improved year but was such a gaping hole on the line in the past that’s not saying much. He still looks lost often and pressure up the middle is common.

·        Nick Mangold 6-4 307, 33 164 career starts

o       Local guy Mangold is on the tail end of his career but could help bring some stability to the line.

·        Joe Hawley 6-3 302 28, 52 career starts

o       29 starts over the last 2 year for the Bucs.

·        John Sullivan 6-4 310 31, 94 career starts

o       Sullivan has 1 start over the last 2 year. He seems like an ideal Winston like steadying force at C that might be able to help push Bodine to improve or start in his stead

·        AQ Shipley 6-1 307, 30, 38 career starts

o       Shipley started all 16 games for the Cards in 2016

Projection: I would love for us to go get Mangold. He shouldn’t cost much, he is a local guy and he may want to go what is traditionally a winner. Bodine may have improved by the end of the year but I am not buying in.

G

·        Kevin Zeitler 6-4 320, 26, 71 starts

o       The only question is how much are we willing to pay a RG. He is solid, we want him back, it might just cost too much.

·        Luke Joeckel 6-6 312, 25, 39 starts

o       Former #2 overall pick who didn’t find success at tackle and was moved to guard.

·        Chance Warmack 6-2 323, 25, 48 starts

o       Former #10 overall pick battled injuries this year.

·        Larry Warford 6-3 317, 25, 57 starts

o       4 year starter for the Lions

·        Brian Winters 6-4 320, 25, 41 starts

o       Hudson Ohio Native and

Kent St
alum started 13 games this year for the Jets.

·        Ron Leary 6-3 320, 27, 47 starts

o       12 game starter for the Cowboys this year at LG.

·        TJ Lang 6-4 318, 29, 94 starts

o       13 game starter at RG this year for the Packers.

·        Vladimir Ducasse 6-5 325, 29, 30 career starts

o       Ducassse started the last 8 games of 2016 for the ravens and 11 games for the Bears in 2015

·        Jahri Evans 6-4 318, 33 169 career starts

o       11 year starter for the Saints, unlikely to move on

·        Jermon Bushrod 6-5 320, 32, 112 career starts

o       Started 16 games for Dolphins last year after playing 3 for the Bears and 6 for the Saints.

·        Tim Lelito 6-4 315, 27, 24 career starts

o       4 year veteran all with Saints, 7 starts 2016, 13 starts 2015.

·        Ted Larsen 6-2 315, 29, 65 career starts

o       Started 8 games for the Bears in 2016

·        Chris Chester 6-3 303, 34, 143 career starts

o       Chester has started the last 32 games straight for the Falcons, and before that 64 straight for the Redskins.

Projection: Zeitler has been exceptional at the position and I believe that you should always re-sign your exceptional players because you get so few of them. With that said I don’t think RG is a priority position even if the offensive line is important and him leaving will create another hole. In the end despite the loss Zeitler will just cost too much money at a non priority position. Because of that I think we try someone already on the roster here. Westerman, Fisher, Ogbuehi, TJ Johnson, Bodine and Hopkins could all get a chance with another possibility of having one of these 6 play at LG and Boling moving over.

·         Mike Glennon-Buccaneers: Glennon is the top candidate on the market who is most likely to change teams. He played sparingly this year with only 10 completions on 11 attempts. His career stats paint a very good picture. 18 starts, 4100 yards, 30-15 and 59%.

·         Brian Hoyer-Bears: Hoyer had some quality starts for the Bears this year and wasn’t terrible for the Texans in 2015. He has 31 career starts and a passer rating of 98 in 2016 and 91.4 in 2015. This year he had 1,445 yards, 6-0 and 67%. He’s played for 5 teams in his career.

·         Landry Jones-Stealers: Jones has 4 starts over his career with the Stealers. This year he has filled in well with 558 yards, 4-2 and 61%.

·         Matt Barkley-Bears: Barkley wasn’t good enough for the Cardinals or the Eagles but was ok at times for the Bears. He had the only 6 starts of his career this season throwing for 1,611 yards, 8-14 and 59.7%. He had 3 300 yard games.

·         Geno Smith-Jets: Smith has 30 career starts but is coming off an ACL tear and a broken jaw.

·         Ryan Fitzpatrick-Jets: Fitzpatrick held out and then played very poorly with 12 tds and 17 ints. He is a veteran though with 116 career starts.

·         Case Keenum-Rams: Keenum started for most of the year and was not inspiring. He’s got 25 career starts in Houston and LA. This year he threw for 2,201 yards, 9-11 and 61%.

·         Nick Foles-Chiefs: Foles has 35 career starts and a lifetime 88.1 passer rating. He is on his 3rd team despite being just 27. This year he threw for 410 yards, 3-0 and 65%. He is due 10.75 Million in 2017 with 0 dead cap.

·         Colin Kaepernick-49ers: Kaepernick was replaced by Gabbert then won the job back. The 29 year old has 59 career starts. This year he had 2,241 yards, 16-4 and 59% and 2 tds on the ground.

·         Blaine Gabbert-49ers: Gabbert started 5 games this year and wasn’t great although he had didn’t have much of a supporting cast either. Finished with 925 yards, 5-6 and 56.9%. Also ran in a couple scores.

·         Matt Cassell-Titans: The 34 year old Cassell has started 80 career games including one this year for the Titans and 7 last year for the Cowboys.

·         TJ Yates-Dolphins: Yates didn’t play this year but has 7 career starts and is just 29. He also has that playoff win against us a few year backs with the Texans.

·         Christian Ponder-49ers: The former first rounder is only 28 and has 36 career starts all with the Vikings in his first 4 years.

·         Austin Davis-Broncos: Davis is currently a Free Agent. He has 10 career starts and had a decent season with the Rams in 2014 with 12-9 2001 yards and 63.4% and a 85.1 passer rating.

Projection: I don’t see McCarron getting traded. I don’t think we should be in a rush when we have 11 picks in this draft, he’s cheap and without him we are lost should Dalton go down. And if we are not in a rush I think the market won’t come to us. I think Taylor, Cutler, Romo, Glennon and Garrapalo will be guys who will find landing spots before teams start thinking about trading for McCarron. Then you add in teams thinking about drafting Turbisky, Kizer and Watson in the 1st or 2nd round. I should call this a personal projection because I don’t really see this happening but what I think they should do is sign Austin Davis immediately. He has starting experience and is a somewhat similar player to Dalton. He wasn’t terrible for the Rams and would give us some insurance should McCarron be traded. He also would probably cost us nothing.

·        Rex Burkhead 5-10 210, 26, 1 career start

o       Burkhead had success with more carries closing out the year with an impressive 119 yards and 2 tds. He had his best year on the ground with 344 yards and 2 tds as well as 17 catches for 145 yards. He also had 13 tackles on special teams. He might be looking for a place where he can get more carries.

·        Denard Robinson 6-0 213, 26, 13 career starts

o       Robinson is one of those enigma players who seems to have loads of ability but never really produces. He would be a guy who I would add to the end of the roster if no one grabs him when free agency slows way down. Might also be a good replacement if Burkhead leaves. His second year was his best with 582 rushing yards and 23 catches. Then they added Yeldon

·        Andre Ellington 5-9 199, 27, 15 career starts

o       Ellington had great rookie and second years and then fell off. David Johnson has taken control of almost all of the carries there. He is another guy that would be a nice end of the bench guy if he doesn’t find a home in free agency.

·        James Wilder 6-1 232, 24

o       Wilder is currently a free agent. I would love for him to come back for camp. His highlight reel from college is great and I think he could be an eventual Peerman replacement. I am irrational about him.

Projection: I would love to have Burkhead back but I am pretty sure he is gone. I just don’t see how Burkhead can look at the market and not see another team (Packers, Vikings) that will be able to pay him similarly or more and give him more carries. I hope that Burkhead is back and plays here a long time, maybe even eventually taking over the Peerman role. With that said I think they bring back Peerman and draft a guy. I think this position gets really confusing. Bernard is a lock. Hill is probably a lock. Peerman seems to be a lock with his role on teams. This draft is very deep at RB and we will have 11 picks. Burkhead if re-signed clouds that a bit. I guess I could see a situation where Hill gets cut, but that would be pretty surprising.

As far as I can tell ignoring the guys that may return in free agency I see our needs as: 2nd WR, LT, C, RG, RT, K, LDT, RDE, SLB, MLB, S, CB, CB, Backup QB, RB Depth, TE depth. These are at all kinds of different levels. Some can be filled in house, some will be filled with re-signed free agents, some will have to come from the draft or free agency.

·         Gavin Escobar 6-6 251, 25

o        Escobar fits the mold of TE’s we like. The former 2nd rounder has been very poor with just 30 catches over his first 4 years. He might be the type of end of free agency TE prospect that fills a hole for the beginning of the season if Eifert’s back isn’t ready.

·         Tim Wright 6-4 220, 26

o        Wright is coming off a missed season on the Lions IR with a torn ACL. Wright had a great rookie year with the Bucs, then moved on to the Pats and then didn’t do much with the Lions. Similar to Escobar he might fit a role as a fringe roster Free Agent who can catch passes with Eifert out.

Projection: Eifert’s back is a question mark but he has two solid backups to fill in. I predict no early signings or draft picks here. Maybe a fringe CC free agent as insurance.

Archived