How does Gio's injury effect our RB roster situation?

I actually like Peerman a lot and have defended keeping him on the roster as a special team ace.  But that was when we had good RB depth.  Peerman should only be playing on offense in emergency situations.

Bernard did not tear his ACL until the end of November.  I am expecting him to start the season on PUP, but even if he doesn't I doubt he will be 100% recovered by the start of the season.  In fact some players don't get back to "normal" until the next season.  Bernard is under contract for three more years at only $3.43 million per year.  He is a bargain and is not going anywhere.

Hill is only making $887K next year.  He is nothing special, but he is not garbage like many around here claim.  He is a top 32 RB in a 32 team league, and is a bargain for his price in '17.  He is not going anywhere this year, but if he does not improve dramatically we should let him go after that.

Burkhead.  I think he is getting overvalued by many people around here.  He has shown that he can play in the NFL,  but will any team be willing to pay him a big veteran's salary when they can take a chance on a rookie for a fraction of the price?  I think he will end up being re-signed by the Bengals.  If Bernard was not coming off an injury we would probably roll with another rookie and let BUrkhead walk.

So what happen's too Peerman?  If the Bengals don't re-sign Burkhead then they will probably sign a cheap free agent to a one year deal, but they could still draft a big back to have ready if Hill leaves in '18.  They could possibly draft 2, but i don't think that is very likely at all.

How do you guys think it will shake out?  I think Peerman might lose his roster spot for RB depth because Gio will not be available at the start of the year.  If we can not sign Burkhead then we will probably sign another cheap free agent to a one year deal.  Then I see us drafting a bigger RB to be ready for Hill leaving after this season.

I don't see any way we use the #9 pick on a RB.

I would love to see them re-sign Rex and make him the starting RB while giving Hill the goal line/short yardage work. Gio will probably be a non-factor next year and truth be told he wasn't playing at a high level before he got hurt.

I would love to see the Bengals let Peerman leave via FA, he has some value as a special teams guy but there are other players on the roster can fill that role, and get a back in the draft. If they don't re-sign Burkhead then drafting a RB becomes more of a priority, hopefully they would consider someone like Dalvin Cook, Jamal Williams, or Corey Clement.  

Personally, I think it almost assures that Burkhead will be re-signed, and at a number that may have us pay a little above what he should get.  He has shown, albeit in a small sample size, that he can at least be a part of a RB rotation, and could certainly perform the receiving portion that Gio was so well known for.  And he knows the system.  

None of it matters if we don't spend money on the offensive line. Burkhead can hit holes with a head of steam. So can Ced and Hill.

We need to pay an offensive line like it's the most important thing on the field...and then commit to crafting an identity there. Are we gonna be between-the-hashes, downhill, or are we gonna run more gimmicky and to the flats more? Commit to doing one of those styles well. If you can, expand what you're doing. But, don't stretch too thin too soon.

I agree with the sentiment that if the offensive line is not significantly addressed, it's not really going to matter.

I can see the Bengals re-signing Burkhead (who I agree is WAY overvalued by Bengals fans) and going with a Hill/Burkhead combo to start the season with Peerman as the emergency back-up/special teams ace. Basically, status quo with some juggling based on the status of Bernard. All four (along with Hewitt) were on the 53 to start last season and I can see the same this year.

I really don't see the Bengals making a significant upgrade to the position and would be very surprised to see it addressed in the first three rounds. Maybe a mid-round flyer but, that's it.

So, the Bengals have a nice RB coming off ACL surgery in November, an underperforming high draft pick, a late round pick who shows some promise, and a career special teamer.  Not very inspiring.  At best Hill improves, Bernard gets healthy at some point and Burkhead keeps pushing the two of them.  At worst Hill still misses holes, Bernard isn't ready until 2018 and Burkhead can't handle it as a #1 back.  They need someone.

I agree the O-line is a bigger priority, but if they have a talented RB come available after the 1st or 2nd round they should jump on him.  

13 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I agree the O-line is a bigger priority, but if they have a talented RB come available after the 1st or 2nd round they should jump on him.  

agreed....hopefully one of Jeremy McNichols, Alvin Kamara or Jamaal Williams with one of their early supplemental picks. 

3 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

None of it matters if we don't spend money on the offensive line. Burkhead can hit holes with a head of steam. So can Ced and Hill.

We need to pay an offensive line like it's the most important thing on the field...and then commit to crafting an identity there. Are we gonna be between-the-hashes, downhill, or are we gonna run more gimmicky and to the flats more? Commit to doing one of those styles well. If you can, expand what you're doing. But, don't stretch too thin too soon.

Applause-o.gif

4 hours ago, fredtoast said:

18th in total yards

8th in tds

31st in yards per carry among all RBs with at least 100 carries

He is clearly among the top 32.

If the NFL reset and you are starting an NFL franchise today he wouldn't be in the top 32 RBs taken. Probably not close. His yards per carry are terrible. 

7 hours ago, fredtoast said:

18th in total yards

8th in tds

31st in yards per carry among all RBs with at least 100 carries

He is clearly among the top 32.

The total yards stat is misleading.  IIRC he got almost a 1/3 of his total yards in the 2 Cleveland games. Almost 1/2 if you throw in the Denver game.

He was dead last in Yards after Contact in 2015.  I haven't found data for 2016 yet but I expect not much difference.

His Yards per Carry the last 2 seasons have been dismal. 

If you put Hill in proper perspective he was a monster in the second half of his 2014 rookie season but for 2 1/2 of 3 total seasons he has been just ordinary.

Maybe it is the Oline.  If that is the case then what was the Oline difference in the 2nd half of 2014 that let him be in beast mode?

I think Peerman will be back.  He is a leader on the team, special teams ace, and doesn't cost a whole lot.

As for Gio, draft Curtis Samuel in 2 and he can play RB until Gio comes back and move to a WR/Hybrid role after.

21 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

If the NFL reset and you are starting an NFL franchise today he wouldn't be in the top 32 RBs taken. Probably not close. His yards per carry are terrible. 

His yards per carry is not good but it is in the top 32 among all RBs with at least 100 carries.

You are entitled to your opinion, but do you have any facts or stats to back up your position?

18 hours ago, westside bengal said:

The total yards stat is misleading.  IIRC he got almost a 1/3 of his total yards in the 2 Cleveland games. Almost 1/2 if you throw in the Denver game.

I have never understood the argument that a player is not really that good if we pretend that his best games never happened.

if you remove the top three games from every RB in the league they are all going to look a lot worse. 

50 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

His yards per carry is not good but it is in the top 32 among all RBs with at least 100 carries.

You are entitled to your opinion, but do you have any facts or stats to back up your position?

He got Benched for a RB who never played his entire career because he was playing terribly. 

Archived