Next Gen Stats

Interesting to see they type of routes AJ ran vs. the Jets and Julio vs. GB.  It seems like Julio runs a lot of crossing patterns and AJ runs a lot of sideline routes.  We could probably do a better job of getting AJ to other parts of the field.

On 1/26/2017 at 2:33 PM, WRAPradio said:

Interesting to see they type of routes AJ ran vs. the Jets and Julio vs. GB.  It seems like Julio runs a lot of crossing patterns and AJ runs a lot of sideline routes.  We could probably do a better job of getting AJ to other parts of the field.

The reliance on those shorter hitch/square outs has been an issue at times even before AJ got here.  Not sure where it comes from exactly but I'd guess has a lot to do with having 2 of the better deep threats in the game in CJ/AJ.  As a result they see a lot of off coverage and that type of route takes advantage of the DB's cushion.  Problem being we'll keep going to that well over and over until it gets jumped and if the defense gets the ball in that situation it can easily go for a pick-6.

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

The reliance on those shorter hitch/square outs has been an issue at times even before AJ got here.  Not sure where it comes from exactly but I'd guess has a lot to do with having 2 of the better deep threats in the game in CJ/AJ.  As a result they see a lot of off coverage and that type of route takes advantage of the DB's cushion.  Problem being we'll keep going to that well over and over until it gets jumped and if the defense gets the ball in that situation it can easily go for a pick-6.

Seemed like they did a lot of the same with Chad. Not much inside of the hashes. Could be that those two were/are pretty narrow guys.

3 minutes ago, JC said:

Seemed like they did a lot of the same with Chad. Not much inside of the hashes. Could be that those two were/are pretty narrow guys.

Right, exactly.  Sloppy routes were a criticism with Chad but I've not heard that so much with AJ.  Lack of focus at times maybe but we've seen him make catches all over the field, too.  I think it's partly taking advantage of soft coverage and partly a string of OC's captivated by their own brilliance.  Zamkowksi is just copying what the last guys did as far as I can tell.

Archived