Offseason needs DT

As far as I can tell ignoring the guys that may return in free agency I see our needs as: 2nd WR, LT, C, RG, RT, K, LDT, RDE, SLB, MLB, S, CB, CB, Backup QB, RB Depth. These are at all kinds of different levels. Some can be filled in house, some will be filled with re-signed free agents, some will have to come from the draft or free agency.

·         Billings 6-1 311, 21

o        2016 4th rounders season ended before it started with a knee injury

·         Sims 6-2 330, 31

o        37 tackles, 1.5 sacks in 2016. Played 37.5% of snaps already.

·         Peko 6-3 325, 32

o        37 tackles. Played 54.6% of snaps in 2016.

·         Thompson 6-2 305, 27

o        Hasn’t played in a season and a half and wasn’t great before that.  53 career tackles and 3 sacks in 4 years.

·         Hardison 6-3 315, 24

o        Hardison will likely take Gilberry’s swing spot along with Clarke. He hasn’t tallied a stat in 2 years.

·         Nick Fairley 6-4 308, 29

o        43 tackles, 6.5 sacks. Fairley would have been a great pick up last season. He likely priced himself out of our market.

·         Chris Jones, 6-1 295, 26

o        Jones is a perfect addition IMO. Adds to the mix at dt and will come very cheap. 23 tackles in 2016. Had some solid seasons with the Pats before injury. Has incredible strength and could be a solid rotational guy on the very cheap.

·         Bennie Logan, 6-2 315, 27

o        24 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 2016 after 55 tackles in 2015.

·         Sheldon Richardson 6-3 294 26

o        Jets won’t be able to pay Richardson so he has been on the market. 62 tackles, 1.5 sacks.

·         Karl Klug, 6-3 278, 28

o        Likely more of a DE or hybrid in our system. Tore his Achilles in December so he will come very cheap. 26 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

Projection: We have so much talent here and a ton of unknowns. I think you can go with Sims/Billings/Hardison/Clarke and then a rookie or add in Chris Jones. To me Chris Jones is the type of player we don’t ever sign and should. We seem to only sign veterans we plan to keep. I’d bolster the roster anyway we can and Jones can come cheap and flash some of the skills Atkins brings to the table.  

Archived