Thoughts on 9th pick

4 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Physically, he looks impressive. The quality of the teams he was playing against in that video, however, left a lot to be desired. 

He was impressive at the Senior Bowl practices and game. Not perfect but he flashed dominance at times.

Still has some technique issues to work out. He relied more on being bigger, stronger and faster than anyone in college.

He's very intelligent. Going to blow up the combine.

I'm curious how high he ends up going. I think he's a lock for the 1st right now. 

17 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Not taking Williams because of Green doesn't make sense, you need two legit playmakers on offense and Andy needs as many weapons as he can get. 

Not true.

The #2 WR on the best offense in the leaguer was Mo sanu.

Not worth the #9 pick.

I liked the looks of the wr from East Carolina at the senior bowl. Seemed to have decent speed good hands great body control. Had 2 tds taken away one that was a td called out of bounds where he showed great body control dragging his toe but still would of been incomplete in NFL and the other on an offensive facemask or illegal hands to face call that was also good catch and great body control reminiscent of Beckhams catch a while ago falling back. Anyone know where he is projected?

I would be good with Foster at 9 as long as he can bulk up a bit and maintain his speed and sideline to sideline play making ability. We could definitely use some help at LB, an upgrade for Rey M and V Rey is due. Brooks on NFL.com has us going with him in his 1st mock but also has 3 safeties going in top 10. I'm not sure if I've ever seen that happen before and wouldn't suprise me if it didn't this year either.

3 hours ago, Jpoore said:

They both get most of their separation before the ball is thrown Williams get it when it's in the air

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

I agree with you that he gets his best seperation in the air ala T.O. that's a big reason why 40s are overrated. As anyone that's played the game knows it's impossible to replicate those moments the balls in the air your eyes get big everything else disappears nothing matters anymore but getting to that ball if you want it bad enough. That said though I can't see him running with Green in that situation. Green is amazing at it. Looks like a damn Gazelle with those beautiful smooth long strides. Idk if I've ever seen him outrun for a ball in the air he so often has to slow up for long balls and often still makes defenders look foolish even though he had to wait up. The Thu week 4 Miami game was classic how badly he beat some of their dbs that night in yards of seperation. Take a look at the next gen stats graphs from that game it's pretty amazing how bad he beat them. I see Williams doing nothing like that at the next level but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like him on Cincy, his red zone help with a healthy AJ and Eifert would no doubt be a welcome addition. 

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Not true.

The #2 WR on the best offense in the leaguer was Mo sanu.

Not worth the #9 pick.

Whose to say Davis/Williams would be the #2 option every week? Its about attacking match-ups and making the offense more dynamic/harder to key in one specific player. Andy Dalton looked incredible in '15 because he was able to find a matchup he liked and attack it. Same thing the Falcons do. Their running backs had 105 targets. Taylor Gabriel had 49 targets. Being able to count on the split end to beat their guy instead of having to throw a jump ball to blanketed AJ Green probably improves efficiency. I don't feel comfortable going into next year with Cody Core being the starting split end.

I don't love taking a receiver at #9 either as I think you win in this league with pass rush. However, I would understand the reasoning behind the selection.

1 hour ago, StripesEarned said:

3 safeties going in top 10. I'm not sure if I've ever seen that happen before and wouldn't suprise me if it didn't this year either.

I don't know which specific players you are talking about, but I noticed ion last years draft that a lot of guys who can play a LB/safety position are becoming more and more popular.

The NFL has become such a pass heavy league that every one is playing 5 DBs most of the time. The guys who can cover like a safety but still help in run support are in demand.

22 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

I don't know which specific players you are talking about, but I noticed ion last years draft that a lot of guys who can play a LB/safety position are becoming more and more popular.

The NFL has become such a pass heavy league that every one is playing 5 DBs most of the time. The guys who can cover like a safety but still help in run support are in demand.

That's a good point. The 3 he has going are.

4. Jacksonville  Jamal Adams, LSU

5. Tennessee Jabrill Peppers, Michigan

Only one I could see used in that hybrid LB role

7. San Diego Malik Hooker, Ohio State

I guess technically they're all capable of playing that nickel robber spot. Idk how much they did it  in college they may excel at it. Your point definitely does show a rational thought of 3 safeties going in the top 10 this year. When I saw it my 1st thought was 3 safeties in top 10, what? Didn't even think about how much nickel defenses have been played these days with safeties. It also makes me think differently of my bulking up comment on Foster. Maybe he is better served staying lighter for those purposes. I know they had good things to say about the long haired kid from Floridas coverage skills at lb. Didn't play alot because of injurues but maybe serve well to take a look at him later and pick elsewhere at 9 instead of Foster. 

I agree with you that he gets his best seperation in the air ala T.O. that's a big reason why 40s are overrated. As anyone that's played the game knows it's impossible to replicate those moments the balls in the air your eyes get big everything else disappears nothing matters anymore but getting to that ball if you want it bad enough. That said though I can't see him running with Green in that situation. Green is amazing at it. Looks like a damn Gazelle with those beautiful smooth long strides. Idk if I've ever seen him outrun for a ball in the air he so often has to slow up for long balls and often still makes defenders look foolish even though he had to wait up. The Thu week 4 Miami game was classic how badly he beat some of their dbs that night in yards of seperation. Take a look at the next gen stats graphs from that game it's pretty amazing how bad he beat them. I see Williams doing nothing like that at the next level but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like him on Cincy, his red zone help with a healthy AJ and Eifert would no doubt be a welcome addition. 

I think Williams needs a lot of work on his route running. He definitely is not as polished coming out as green or Julio was. This is actually an area that I feel we have a good coach in in urban. Also remember aj was going up against rookies in that Miami game js. If Williams get elite at his route running he could easily be the next aj . Him and aj are both long striders .

Jabrill Peppers will never sniff the top 10 and likely not even the first round....there's no doubt he's great with the ball in his hands, he's very pedestrian as a defender however. 

and Cincinnati won't be taking a WR at 9 fellas, it simply ain't happening this year, not one of these guys is worth the #9 overall pick in the draft....as much as I like Davis, I just can't see him pushing his way up that high.

1 hour ago, Jpoore said:

Him and aj are both long striders .

it's just that AJ can pull away from db's, Wlliams never will.

Williams is the epitome of a one tick pony, he jumps over guys and makes catches at the college level, not much else....he won't be able to do that consistently in the NFL.

if you're gonna take a WR in the top 10, you better believe that he's going to be on par with the likes of AJ Green and Julio Jones...there's just no way that scouts are gonna look at Williams tape and come to that conclusion.....he's a late first rounder at best IMO, all hype.

Williams is the epitome of a one tick pony, he jumps over guys and makes catches at the college level, not much else....he won't be able to do that consistently in the NFL.
if you're gonna take a WR in the top 10, you better believe that he's going to be on par with the likes of AJ Green and Julio Jones...there's just no way that scouts are gonna look at Williams tape and come to that conclusion.....he's a late first rounder at best IMO, all hype.

There no way every single outlet has him in top 10 and he falls. He ran slants, outs, go, comeback, picks, rubs, screens he ran it all. Not as well as Davis but that can be coached up. He is better than Deandre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins.

3 minutes ago, Jpoore said:

He is better than Deandre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins.

no he's not, he has nowhere near their foot speed....not even close.

same with Davis, he's not even close to being the same kind of athlete as Davis.

also, these draft outlets making predictions.....no one has really started dissecting these guys yet, as they do you'll start to see Williams fall back on these sites IMO....everyone's had Jabrill Peppers as a top 10 pick as well but there's no way he'll even come close to that once the process plays out.

Nick Martin, Reggie Ragland, Kevin Dodd, Michael Thomas, Jarran Reed, Emmanuel Ogbuh....all guys that could be found near the top of the first round at some point last year on draft sites BEFORE the dissection process really started to kick into full gear....all of them dropped as it played out

I have nothing against Williams per say, I simply don't think he's athletic enough to even be considered with a top 10 selection is all.....great ball skills, I'll give him that, not much else though IMO.....like I said, all hype.

7 hours ago, StripesEarned said:

I liked the looks of the wr from East Carolina at the senior bowl. Seemed to have decent speed good hands great body control. Had 2 tds taken away one that was a td called out of bounds where he showed great body control dragging his toe but still would of been incomplete in NFL and the other on an offensive facemask or illegal hands to face call that was also good catch and great body control reminiscent of Beckhams catch a while ago falling back. Anyone know where he is projected?

I would be good with Foster at 9 as long as he can bulk up a bit and maintain his speed and sideline to sideline play making ability. We could definitely use some help at LB, an upgrade for Rey M and V Rey is due. Brooks on NFL.com has us going with him in his 1st mock but also has 3 safeties going in top 10. I'm not sure if I've ever seen that happen before and wouldn't suprise me if it didn't this year either.

Zay Jones is mostly projected 2nd-3rd round, but his 40 time will be big for his stock. The main question with him is speed. He might be more of a Sanu type, which would probably put him in the 3rd. If he runs faster than expected, his stock could go up to mid-early 2nd round. 

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

Disagree with this. Green and Jones are the two best WR prospects since Calvin. They're rare players and we haven't seen a single guy come out in the last 5 drafts as good as them. 

WR is now a truly premium position. The top outside guys are ridiculously expensive in FA. Marvin Jones got $40M. Sanu got $33M. Terrelle Pryor is going to get the franchise tag for $15M a year. So you have to draft them and they get pushed up in the draft, same as the QBs, pass rushers, etc.. Even in an awful WR class last year, four of them went round 1. 

In short, you don't have to think a guy is going to be an All Pro to take him in the top 10 at a position like WR. 

Archived