Thoughts on 9th pick

2 hours ago, SocalBengalEd said:

Gotta go with Barnette at number 9.  Absolute beast.  Broke Reggie White record at Tennessee as a true junior.  Even though he's 602.5 n 275 he fits the mold at RDE.  He had no problem versus SEC tackles.  Foster is my number 2 pick.  A slightly bigger Navarro bowman 

I think that Barnett and Charlton are realistic options for #9 and NFL.com actually has Charlton with a higher grade even though Barnett put up better stats vs. better competition. Barnett reminds me of Von Miller with his ability to get skinny on the edge but he's not as good of an athlete as Miller. 

The guy I don't want is Rueben Foster, he's already injured playing a position that takes a constant beating on their body. Foster is a good player but not top 10 worthy, imo. Besides we have good young LB's on the team already, if anything bring in a proven vet that can play right away. 

Yep.  Barnett is my guy at #9.  I don't understand these rankings that have him as a mid first rounder.  He was a more consistently great college player than Myles Garrett, although I concede that Garrett is more physically gifted and has a better chance of being a great pro.  But Barnett at #9 is exactly right for the Bengals.  

Barnett is such an instinctive player.  He seems to always be in the right place at the right time and he is as good against the run as he is against the pass.  

It is really hard imagining the Bengals taking Solomon Thomas. He just doesnt address a need on the Bengals' D-line.   Thomas is probably is a DT in the Bengals' defense.  He is physically more like Gilberry and Geno than a true defensive end.  If you are looking for an edge rusher look elsewhere.  

1 hour ago, BlackBengal said:

it is really hard imagining the Bengals taking Solomon Thomas. He just doesnt address a need on the Bengals' D-line.   Thomas is probably is a DT in the Bengals' defense.  He is physically more like Gilberry and Geno than a true defensive end.  If you are looking for an edge rusher look elsewhere.  

Thomas won't be around for us anyhow and the reason for that is that teams understand that he's easily going to be one of the most productive players to come out of this draft class....I don't care if you play him at DE, DT, or hell even MLB, the dude is going to be a flat out monster wherever you put him at.....this is truly one guy that you shouldn't get too hung up on the measurables because he's going to dominate in spite of them.....it's like saying Aaron Donald wouldn't be a fit here because he doesn't have prototypical size for the position. 

8 hours ago, spicoli said:

I like Barnett and Charlton.....would definitely rather have Barnett though.

I need to watch more of Taco.   So far not impressed at all.    A lot of his sacks he just had an open Lane to the QB.   The rest of them he was blocked someone forced pressure from the other side Taco comes off his guy and sacks the QB.     I need to see way more moves besides speed rush.   And the one year wonder scares me too.  

54 minutes ago, SocalBengalEd said:

I need to watch more of Taco.   So far not impressed at all.    A lot of his sacks he just had an open Lane to the QB.   The rest of them he was blocked someone forced pressure from the other side Taco comes off his guy and sacks the QB.     I need to see way more moves besides speed rush.   And the one year wonder scares me too.  

I really don't think they'll take him anyway, I just don't see him getting up that high....I'd say the 15-20 range is probably a little more realistic for Taco. 

On 2/14/2017 at 11:28 AM, spicoli said:

Thomas won't be around for us anyhow and the reason for that is that teams understand that he's easily going to be one of the most productive players to come out of this draft class....I don't care if you play him at DE, DT, or hell even MLB, the dude is going to be a flat out monster wherever you put him at.....this is truly one guy that you shouldn't get too hung up on the measurables because he's going to dominate in spite of them.....it's like saying Aaron Donald wouldn't be a fit here because he doesn't have prototypical size for the position. 

Maybe, maybe not.  Any player in the draft has potential to be an all-pro type player.   I don't see why Thomas is more likely to become a great player than any of the other guys that are getting first round buzz.  But, if I had to predict which players have the best chance of becoming an all-pro type players Solomon Thomas would not be high on the list.     

My top 3 would be 1; Myles Garrett; 2 Malik Hooker; 3 Mike Williams.  

On 2/14/2017 at 2:48 PM, whodey1971 said:

Agree 100%

Or perhaps stated differently, I don't think any of the position groups are exempt from needing an upgrade

Yeah there are good players here & there, not a lot of quality depth however.  I think QB & WR are in ok shape. The DL isn't too bad off.  Beyond that IDK.

42 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Why is it when I read/watch Barnett, my next thought is Barkevious Mingo?

Dude you are way off.   One is an athletic freak 6 5 240 that is soft and has zero instints. The other is a natural football player 603 270 that set a school record for sacks as a true junior.    They are complete opposite.   Smh

2 hours ago, Jpoore said:

Walker is better than Barnett so this conversation is pointless. Barnett's stats got worse every year.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

2014- 20.5 tackles for loss , 10 sacks

2015- 13 tackles for loss , 10 sacks

2016- 19 tackles for loss , 13 sacks.        Barnette looks like a consistent beast to me.    

2 hours ago, Jpoore said:

Walker is better than Barnett so this conversation is pointless. Barnett's stats got worse every year.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Find me 1 place that has Walker rated higher than Barnett.

His stats were so bad he only set the SEC sack record in 3 years. 

Archived