Thoughts on 9th pick

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Not taking Williams because of Green doesn't make sense, you need two legit playmakers on offense and Andy needs as many weapons as he can get. 

Agree, I think Williams is who we should take with the 9th pick. I do worry about his lack of separation but what player doesn't have a flaw that we could take at number 9

Mike Williams will NOT be a top 10 pick when all is said and done...believe it. 

the guy everybody should be focusing on if you're really convinced the Bengals need another top of the draft-type WR is Corey Davis....he'll end up being the first WR taken IMO, but I'll be pretty surprised if it's in the top 10....if it is, it'll likely be by us at 9....a guy like Zay Jones though in R2 or 3 is probably a more likely scenario. 

I think the kid from Villanova skyrockets as well, just not sure it'll be enough to get him into the top 10 however...Thomas can do his damage all along the line, he doesn't necessarily have to be strictly a RDE for us, he just has to impact from any one of the spots which I believe he'll do, I just think he'll be off the board already...both of those safeties are five star type players, if they're surrounded by a bunch of 4 star DE's, DT's, OT's and CB's, I think they'd go with the safety....neither one of those guys would be wise to pass up though, they're both going to be NFL difference makers IMO, which is why they'll likely both be gone already when we get on the clock unless a bunch of QB's find their way to the top between now and then, which isn't likely...I just don't see a top 10 WR in this draft, possibly Corey Davis gets himself up there with a really strong showing at the combine (which I think he'll blow up)....Williams IMO, I just don't think he has the speed and foot quickness necessary to get open consistently against NFL corners and he'll ultimately fall to the back of the first round/early second round because of it....he's fantastic at high pointing the football for sure, and he'll be a great redzone weapon, need more than that however to be considered a top 10 pick, just my opinion....Foster is great but there's gonna be some really nice LB talent available in R2....guys like Raekwon McMillan, TJ Watt, Tim Williams, Ryan Anderson, Hassan Reddick , they'll all be productive long time NFL starting LB's, IMO....one name to watch from the LB position- UCLA OLB Takkarist McKinley, kid's a freakin animal and could easily find his way into the top 10 when it's all said and done because he'll test off the charts at the combine and he has the tape to back it all up....corners, MAYBE Teez Tabor, Marlon Humphrey or Marshon Lattimore? I don't know, I wouldn't be thrilled with any of those choices really....at DE guys like Taco Charlton, Kpassagnon and Derek Barnett are fringe top 20 prospects at best IMO, but you never know just because there's such a need.....I see no DT's or OT's worth a top 10 pick in this draft.....just my 2 cents. 

I agree with the safety argument as well, but if the Bengals have the 2 starting spots locked up they're not gonna waste that pick by picking a safety who minimum won't start for 2 years. That's just how we do it. Lattimmore I guarantee will be gone by 12 at the worst and could be a top 5 pick.reminds me of champ Bailey or Darell Revis.My personal choice at DE is demarcus Walker in the second round. He takes plays off but he played 99 percent of snaps so I think it was exhaustion. Never been a fan of Barnett. Big fan of McMillan dudes a legit run stopper who is great in coverage always around the ball. Willis has above average speed but he doesn't get separation early. He get great separation late when the balls in the air. He won't get separation early hell be covered but once the ball is thrown he gets elite late separation and that's what separates him. I was REALLLY looking forward to Davis as the senior bowl. I have him just a hair behind Williams and my biggest knock is lack of competition. I really wanted to see whT he could do against great competition. Williams has a golden move that I haven't seen any corner beat yet which is a deep comeback route. It's beautiful to watch. If we don't go DE in 2, we better go c with pat elflien. As far as corner I think Jordan Lewis played himself into the second round as well at the senior bowl. Our corners all depend on the pacman and Dre k situation. If we lose both guarantee we go shutdown corner at 9. McKinley I have only watched tape on 2 but dude is a beast. Kpassagnon played himself into the second round at the senior bowl at least. He was a third rounder on most. Watt is a perfect fit for a 3-4 don't think he will fit what we do. Also really think the upside on a guy like beckwith in the third would be insane.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Kinda with you, I think mike williams can be special and A.J. is about to hit 30. Look at Detroit, they were not ready for megatron retirement. Also think boyd would be a bettwr slot guy and not a number 2. We did lose too many close games last year where another weapon could help.

This has been my whole point with Williams. We will be drafting him as the 2 albeit an number 1 playing as a number 2 and Williams taking over the number 1 when aj green retires. And if eifert gets hurt we need a better weapon than lafell who was garbage when aj was out there.

Agree, I think Williams is who we should take with the 9th pick. I do worry about his lack of separation but what player doesn't have a flaw that we could take at number 9

He doesn't get separation early like a normal wr. What separates him from most receivers is he gets ELITE ELITE separation late. When the ball is in the air that's when he gets a lot of separation.

9 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Mike Williams will NOT be a top 10 pick when all is said and done...believe it. 

the guy everybody should be focusing on if you're really convinced the Bengals need another top of the draft-type WR is Corey Davis....he'll end up being the first WR taken IMO, but I'll be pretty surprised if it's in the top 10....if it is, it'll likely be by us at 9....a guy like Zay Jones though in R2 or 3 is probably a more likely scenario. 

I'll give you that Corey Davis is a faster and more polish route runner but Mike Williams is a dominate jump ball artist and better red zone weapon. We need to score touchdowns in the red zone and that is where Williams will shine IMO

1 minute ago, Jpoore said:

He doesn't get separation early like a normal wr. What separates him from most receivers is he gets ELITE ELITE separation late. When the ball is in the air that's when he gets a lot of separation.

I agree 100%. I also think you can teach a receiver to run better routes but not as easy to teach him to catch in traffic

First, I am assuming that Garrett, Allen, Thomas, and Hooker are all gone.
Foster is the guy I want most.  Good tackler, physical and athletic.  He and Burfict would make our defense truly scary.
I would not take a WR at 9.  That's too high IMO for a guy who, barring injury is at BEST the #2 target, and likely #3.  That said, I wouldn't complain too much over Williams.
Cook would also make the offense scary, but I don't see that happening either.
I'm not a "BIG" Barnett guy, but if Foster is gone, he probably makes the most sense.  And you can't argue against his production, and against quality opponents.

I like Walker and kpassagnon more imo. I can't pinpoint what it is but something just puts me off on Barnett. Also Walker has the ability to take over a game. Ole miss 4.5 sacks 1 forced fumble 2 pbu. Barnett's stock has also seemed to drop closer to the 18,19,20s recently.

Speaking of TJ Watt: any thoughts on his Wisconsin LB running mate Vince Biegel? He's mostly a OLB in a 3-4 mold, but he was a beastly edge rusher who could also anchor against the run. I saw him in as many plays, if not more, than Watt.

If we don't take mixon with our 4th round comp I would take him, or Ben boulware.

I agree 100%. I also think you can teach a receiver to run better routes but not as easy to teach him to catch in traffic

A lot of places compare him to keenan Allen. Exactly he needs to get more physical he struggles with press coverage. But I think we have a top wr coach who is great at vetting the most out of his wrs so not worries about it. He needs to learn to use his size. Dude is 6"4 227 pounds and runs a 4.47. That's megaton size. Body him and man up! But having a guy like Keenan Allen along with aj green makes me wonder about what our offense could do.....

12 minutes ago, Jpoore said:

I really wanted to see whT he could do against great competition. Williams has a golden move that I haven't seen any corner beat yet which is a deep comeback route.

just watch the tape against Ohio State....they'll likely have 3 first rounders coming out of that secondary and they couldn't do anything with him.

Just now, Jpoore said:

A lot of places compare him to keenan Allen. Exactly he needs to get more physical he struggles with press coverage. But I think we have a top wr coach who is great at vetting the most out of his wrs so not worries about it. He needs to learn to use his size. Dude is 6"4 227 pounds and runs a 4.47. That's megaton size. Body him and man up! But having a guy like Keenan Allen along with aj green makes me wonder about what our offense could do.....

And this is where I struggle, I get the need for a defensive player as we are getting old on that side but we lost close games where another play maker could have changed the outcome.....or someone that can kick a field goal or extra point!!!

And this is where I struggle, I get the need for a defensive player as we are getting old on that side but we lost close games where another play maker could have changed the outcome.....or someone that can kick a field goal or extra point!!!

Hoping to get a second for mccarron so we can get a guy like Williams in the first, then demarcus Walker and raquan McMillan in the second. That would Adrea's a lot of needs. Also I know we signed Bullock but Zane Gonzalez I love as a kicker. Also hit a long of 59 this year soo....

1 minute ago, spicoli said:

just watch the tape against Ohio State....they'll likely have 3 first rounders coming out of that secondary and they couldn't do anything with him.

THIS! Keep seeing TWO Ohio State DB's going in the top ten picks and Williams played lights out against top competition! AJ back, Boyd in the slot, Williams number 2 and a healthy Eifert could put Andy back to 2015 Andy. Once Eifert gets hurt (he will get hurt :() Williams can be the red zone target we need

if he breaks 4.6 I'll be shocked.

you guys seem to have it in your heads that as a prospect he's on par with AJ Green and Julio Jones coming out when the reality is, he's not even close....maybe in a jump ball situation he could compare but that's really it....he's not even close in any other facet. 

AJ won't be 30 until July of 2018. That is not "just about".
And unless this is fucking Logan's Run, he won't die once he gets there. 

Yeah but in football hell be 30 after next season and before the 2018 season. Megaton retired and we don't even knowing this is the start of a decline injury wise for aj. I doubt it is but you never know. Williams would need a new deal when aj was 33 going on 34. By that point aj won't be a 1 anyways or shouldn't be.

if he breaks 4.6 I'll be shocked.
you guys seem to have it in your heads that as a prospect he's on par with AJ Green and Julio Jones coming out when the reality is, he's not even close....maybe in a jump ball situation he could compare but that's really it....he's not even close in any other facet. 

No he's actually better at getting separation when the ball is in the air than both of them....
Here's a couple links with his projected time.... He is nowhere near laquan treadwell slow he's just as fast as aj maybe a tad faster.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2017WR.php
https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/top-nfl-draft-prospects-back-from-injury-clemsons-williams-has-first-round-traits/amp/

Archived